Is Wednesday too "out there"?

I’m not expecting a child anytime soon… I’m only a teenager. But I love to think about names I will use in the future.
The other day, I was thinking about a name that I have always loved… [name]Wednesday[/name].
When I asked my friends and family, they all laughed…
I can’t help it though. I love [name]Wednesday[/name]. To be honest, I love any girls name that begins with W ([name]Winniefred[/name], [name]Wisteria[/name], etc.).
So what do you think? Is [name]Wednesday[/name] too weird? Or is it wonderful? Would you ever consider using it? [name]Even[/name] as a middle name?

I don’t think it’s too too out there although it borders on it. I think it would be odd to name your child this if she wasn’t born on a [name]Wednesday[/name] unless [name]Wednesday[/name] has a special meaning to you.

I wonder if this was part of the giggling: [name]Wednesday[/name] was the name of the little girl on the [name]Adams[/name] (Addams?) Family, the old comedy show about a gothic-esque family. That’s of course losing currency, the fact that you didn’t mention it or your friends saying it makes me wonder how aware people your age are of it. Anyway, it immediately makes me (late 20s) think of it.

The reason that I think she had that name is the old rhyme predicting the future of babies based on their date of birth…I forget how it gets started, but the [name]Wednesday[/name]-Thursday sequence is [name]Wednesday[/name]'s child is full of woe, Thursday’s child has far to go. Not the best namesake, although whatever, it is just an old rhyme nobody really knows as much any more. I remember growing up their was a feature on the local news (on [name]Wednesday[/name]'s) called [name]Wednesday[/name]'s Child that profiled local children up for adoption.

If you like all those other [name]Wynne[/name]-esque names it might be easier to go with one of them. They might combine well with [name]Day[/name] as a middle name to get [name]Wednesday[/name] as a nickname. While I think [name]Wynne[/name] [name]Day[/name] would be too much, [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Day[/name] in particular is lovely to me.

[name]Wednesday[/name] is named after a deity figure in the Anglo-[name]Saxon[/name] pagan tradition, Woden, Wodena might be a very bold choice (I think bolder than [name]Wednesday[/name]!) with the admittedly more accessible nickname [name]Dena[/name].

All best!

I’ve heard of the Addams Family. I never realised that [name]Wednesday[/name] was a character…
Perhaps that’s why my parents laughed :stuck_out_tongue:
[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Day[/name] is a gorgeous name but I still love [name]Wednesday[/name], and I don’t think I will ever find a name that I love more than it. :slight_smile:

I’m a teenager too, and when I see the name [name]Wednesday[/name] I automatically think Addams Family.

I think the Addams Family will be rehashed every 20 years so we’ll never forget [name]Wednesday[/name] Addams.

I don’t think it’s too out there. Most people know of it being used as a name because of the Addams family. I personally like it.
[name]Tuesday[/name] is used as a name, and so are many months of the year. ( [name]January[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]August[/name]), so why not [name]Wednesday[/name] ? :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Wednesday[/name]! I would use it it’s on my list. I know girls named [name]Tuesday[/name] and [name]Monday[/name] who are around my age. So why not?

[name]Wednesday[/name] has a pretty sound but I personally wouldn’t use it as a first name. It has such a childlike quality to it that I can’t imagine the name on an mature woman. It would look strange on a resume as well. Would employers take a [name]Wednesday[/name] seriously in the job market? I’m not sure. It still has a strong association with the glum character on the Addams Family. I think it would be better in the middle spot.
FYI - If you’re a teenager, be prepared for the names you love to change over the years. I’m loving names now that I never even considered in my adolescent years. Believe me, names are fluid creatures. Your love for certain names will ebb and flow over time as it should.

I actually love this name! It is on our list of possibilities for future names. I like it with the nn [name]Winnie[/name]! I actually think it is very refreshing and will one day be acceptable. I think we are just ahead of the curve in liking this name. People will fall in line eventually…

Thanks everyone for the comments :slight_smile:
I agree with martina, [name]Winnie[/name] is one of the cutest nn on [name]Earth[/name] :smiley:

I like this name but would never use it. I would use it for a pet, like [name]Bridget[/name] Marquardt.

As a teenager, from about 12-20 I LOVED the name Imojen. Was so confident I would use it and never love anything more. That all changed when I heard the name [name]Tully[/name]. Imojen isn’t even on my list anymore. I still like it, but not like other names.

You may outgrow this since you are still young and not expecting or ttc.

I don’t think it’s too “out there”. Actually, my mom was considering naming me [name]Wednesday[/name] until my dad said, “Like the day of the week?” and it was quickly vetoed. (just as well though, since I can’t imagine myself as a [name]Wednesday[/name])

However, [name]Mischa[/name] brought up a good point; it does seem like a youthful name. The difference being I can only really see it on a young girl or an old lady, in between is more of a grey area. As long as her last name wouldn’t be Addams or something similar to that, I think it would be fine.