Is Wilfred too old?

It just suddenly popped into my head when I was walking through the city the other day. I thought nn [name]Will[/name], nn [name]Freddie[/name]. It has so many possibilies but would a young boy be likely to be picked on for this choice? Is it too much for a little lad to pull off? Is it too old?

I like [name]Wilfred[/name]! I think it’s charming and the nickname options make it even more of a winner. I think it’s time for this name to make a come back.

I’m studying [name]Wilfred[/name] [name]Owen[/name] at the moment for English Lit. and it’s been making me think a lot about the name, especially as one of my friends in the class has now decided that she wants to name her first son [name]Wilfred[/name]!! I definitely think it could work, especially as older names are coming back. [name]Freddie[/name] is a great nickname and I knew a Wilf once who was about 20 who made the name work.

I like the nn’s but I think it’s too old for a young child to carry every day - it would definitely have to be the right child!

Straight away makes me think of [name]Wilfred[/name] [name]Owen[/name] who was a very brave man and a worthy namesake. As you said with the nns [name]Will[/name] and/or [name]Freddie[/name] it fits right in with today’s style of names. It’s not really that different to [name]Alfred[/name] nn [name]Alfie[/name] which is super popular in [name]England[/name] (apparently) right now. Nope, not too old at all :slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I agree, not too old…I like the nns, too. With today’s naming trends, [name]Wilfred[/name] will fit right in!