Is William too redneck?

I really like the name William, nickname Will I can’t stand Liam (no offense), for my first baby but an acquaintance of mine recently mentioned to me that only a hillbilly would use that name.

Now I’m worried that William is too much of a redneck name.

Am I being crazy and overthinking this?

What is your impression of the name William?

P.S. we were going to go with something very classic and old fashioned for the middle name

Erm… I definitely would not say so. [name_u]William[/name_u] is a classic. It transcends any sort of ‘category’ of name to me. It leans old-fashioned, colonial I suppose… but only barely. It’s incredibly highly used, and it has been for centuries.

13 Likes

I agree that [name_u]William[/name_u] transcends categorization, and honestly if I were going to characterize it “redneck” is the last word I’d use. It’s used too frequently for my personal taste, but I do think it’s a classic with great nickname options; and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for fears of it being too “redneck”

7 Likes

I tried to write something nice, I couldn’t. the only thing I can say is that it’s not hillbilly

1 Like

William is anything but a redneck name, i’ve never heard anyone describe it like that. my first association is Prince William, so basically the polar opposite of redneck. if I were to use one word to describe William, it’d be “classic.” i do find it boring, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.

10 Likes

I don’t understand this connection at all. :thinking::woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

It’s definitely neither “redneck” nor “hillbilly,” not sure what they could possibly mean by that. It’s been a classic for hundreds of years amongst varying classes, geographic regions, socioeconomic statuses, etc.

I can’t imagine why it would strike anyone as either of those things. It’s just like [name_u]John[/name_u] to me. No specific aesthetic/associations surrounding it.

4 Likes

Your acquaintance is bananas :sweat_smile::joy: [name_u]William[/name_u] is far from what I’d consider redneck…just because “Billy” comes from [name_u]William[/name_u] doesn’t make it a name only fit for Appalachia!
Ignore them, go with a name you love :heart:

3 Likes

I definitely would never consider it redneck or even a country name! [name_m]Even[/name_m] so far as I can’t picture a redneck named [name_u]William[/name_u] (or at least one named [name_u]William[/name_u] that actually goes by that instead of [name_u]Billy[/name_u] or [name_u]Will[/name_u] or something). I don’t think you have to worry about it being redneck at all, so I would keep it in your list :slight_smile: One of the most prominent people named [name_u]William[/name_u] right now is [name_u]Prince[/name_u] [name_u]William[/name_u], likely a [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_u]William[/name_u] in the next decade or two, so I couldn’t consider a royal name as redneck. [name_u]William[/name_u] is very well established, and I would consider it pretty versatile of a name that can fit multiple personalities and people from many regions :slight_smile: It’s a nice name that we are considering as a middle name

1 Like

I echo what others have said. I think your acquaintance must have some very personal associations with William, that do not reflect the majority of the populations view on William. I have never met someone who thought William was redneck. It is as classic as can be, I think its been in the top 20 of most popular names since they have been keeping records!

Nooo, [name_u]William[/name_u] is definitely one of those classic names …. To me, its just like a [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], [name_u]Charles[/name_u], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_u]John[/name_u] vibe… timeless

Uhm… quite the opposite of redneck, I’d say! [name_u]William[/name_u] is so versatile and classic!

Redneck? Definitely not! [name_f]My[/name_f] first association is royalty (i.e. [name_u]Prince[/name_u] William), and it also just sounds like a very reliable classic name, with historical overtones. [name_u]Will[/name_u] is a cute nickname, too! :slight_smile:

Came to this thread to see if was a joke. But someone really thought this?!

[name_u]William[/name_u] is a quintessential classic!

It’s been in the top 20 names in the US every year since 1900. And for most of that time (except the 70s to the early 2000s) it was in the top 10. It’s definitely timeless and versatile.

Is it possible your friend wants to use the name and is trying to scare you off? :joy:

2 Likes

No. [name_u]William[/name_u] is definitely not “redneck” to me. It’s very classic and versatile. If I had to put him in a box, I’d say I think more of [name_f]British[/name_f] royalty than rednecks.

1 Like

I think in this context ‘hillbilly’ is code for ‘I don’t like it’. I don’t think I’d be discussing names with this acquaintance again with comments like that.

5 Likes

[name_u]William[/name_u] strikes me as an international classic but also with a lot of English-Royal-Family vibes. It’s a popular name, so equally, it doesn’t feel tied to any one sort of person.

No, not at all. I have no idea where that idea would come from. [name_u]William[/name_u] is so versatile, there are all different kinds of [name_m]Williams[/name_m] in the world

1 Like

I don’t think so

[name_u]William[/name_u] feels very generic cool, actually.

“Redneck” is a pretty insensitive and classist term. People don’t choose to be born into impoverished communities.

That said, it does seem like a weird comment to me, because [name_u]William[/name_u] is such a popular name. It’s certainly not confined to any socio-economic group. Is [name_u]Prince[/name_u] [name_u]William[/name_u] a “redneck”?

15 Likes