is wondering just how popular Charlotte really is?

We have narrowed down our list to [name]Claire[/name], [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name]. I personally know about 3 or 4 Charlottes ages 7 months - 3 years born since 2007 and I feel like I have been hearing the name everywhere. Does anyone have a feel for this? It was ranked 60 in NY but 39 in CT in 2008. Since I am a [name]Jennifer[/name] born in 1973, I would rather not out my daughter in the same situation of being a [name]Charlotte[/name] F her whole life!

I have been thinking about this as well. [name]Charlotte[/name] is one of my favorite names, and I’ve been seeing it explode on both Yahoo Answers, Nameberry, and other baby name sites. In fact, I believe [name]Charlotte[/name] has been number one on Nymbler for 2 or 3 years in a row. Not to mention, I work at an elementary school and every year, the number of girls with this name seem to grow larger in number.
However, when [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] wrote about the names we should expect to get popular on the next SSA list, they never mentioned [name]Charlotte[/name] at all. And on the 2008 SSA list, [name]Charlotte[/name] is way at the bottom. [name]Charlotte[/name] is very popular in Australia though, and quite popular in the UK. Their charts all show that.
[name]Jack[/name] is another name like this; you see it everywhere yet the stats can’t prove its popularity.
But if I were you, I would be cautious about using [name]Charlotte[/name] if you would like a uncommon, not-[name]Jennifer[/name]-like name. I can see [name]Charlotte[/name] becoming very popular in the future.
That being said, popular names only make up a small percentage of babies being born these days. Yes, [name]Emma[/name] maybe the number one name, and [name]Charlotte[/name] might be getting there, but there may only be 2 or 3 girls named [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name] in the entire school. That’s not so bad, considering the 2 or 3 girls named [name]Jennifer[/name] there were in just one class.
Basically, if you really love the name, don’t worry too much about popularity. It’s a much smaller issue nowadays than it was, say, 30 years ago.

Best of luck,

[name]Lucy[/name]

[name]Hi[/name],

I live in UK and its way popular here hence why even though i love it, i crossed it off my list…
As you rightfully said…who wants to be known as [name]Charlotte[/name] a, b, c…

Thanks for all your input ! I was one of 11 [name]Jennifer[/name]'s in my all girl class of 100 and I am pretty sure there will not be as many [name]Charlotte[/name]'s. And funny you mention the name [name]Jack[/name] – that is my son’s name ! It never shows up too high on the list but we meet a lot of [name]Jack[/name]'s especially living in NY. I think the Northeast state tend to be a bit more conservative for some reason which is why I am concerned about [name]Charlotte[/name]. I love the name and feel like I have crossed off so many other favorites off the list like [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Audrey[/name] and now we are even teetering about [name]Katherine[/name] nn [name]Kate[/name] for the same reason. We still love [name]Claire[/name] but I feel like I need to have 2-3 name to choose from when I meet this baby girl…much to think about.

anyone have any other names in the [name]Charlotte[/name] style they like?

Other [name]Charlotte[/name]-style names that might get popular in the future:

[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Corinne[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Cecelia[/name]/[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]–already had a wave of popularity, might be having a second one in a few years.

Many Nameberry favorites are potential contenders for the top 50 or even top 10 or 20 in the future.

— [name]Lucy[/name]

Also, both [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Claire[/name] are in the top twenty. They are fairly popular, more so than [name]Charlotte[/name] at this point. They are timeless though, and both classics.
As for [name]Jack[/name], it’s number one in the UK, somewhere in the top ten of the Aussie list, and number one for 2 or 3 years on Nymbler. ([name]Jack[/name] shares the title with [name]Charlotte[/name]. Interesting how you love both of these names)

Also, to add to my list above, I also have [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Nola[/name], and [name]Juliet[/name]. [name]Penelope[/name] is another one that might be popular in a decade or so, but it doesn’t quite have the same style as [name]Charlotte[/name]. [name]Josephine[/name] too, though that one might come a bit later.

Any of the names on the above list are merely possible contenders, and only my opinion at that. I’m sure if you used one of those, there won’t be that many in a class or school.

Names that remind me of [name]Charlotte[/name]:

[name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Jessamyn[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name] nn [name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Ooh lovely list, [name]Susan[/name]! I thought I missed a bunch but you pretty much got the ones I wanted to list down.

Also, I was wondering if you liked the Italian version [name]Carlotta[/name]? That one for sure will not be too popular. I can see [name]Carlotta[/name] and [name]Jack[/name] working out great. [name]Carly[/name] as a nn. And, if you do decide to go with [name]Charlotte[/name], most people will chose the nickname [name]Charlie[/name] or [name]Carly[/name]. But I doubt many non-name-nerds will use [name]Lottie[/name] as a nn, and I think its really cute. [name]Lottie[/name] works for [name]Carlotta[/name] too.
If you go with [name]Katherine[/name], then I also recommend a foreign version such as [name]Katerina[/name], [name]Katya[/name], or just [name]Katharina[/name]. [name]Katalina[/name] is also pretty. If you’re feeling adventurous, try reviving [name]Kathleen[/name]. All of them could shorten to [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Katie[/name].
If you like [name]Claire[/name], then I recommend [name]Clara[/name], though that one might be getting popular in a few years too. [name]Clarissa[/name]/[name]Clarisse[/name], [name]Carys[/name], (spelled [name]Cerys[/name] as well) [name]Clarion[/name], and [name]Clarina[/name] might be nice as well. I’ve read a book where the main character was [name]Clary[/name], so that might work to.
If you want some other [name]Charles[/name]-forms, try [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Carolina[/name], or [name]Carolyn[/name]. Also, [name]Coralie[/name] is similar but has a flair all its own. Same with [name]Cora[/name], [name]Coraline[/name], and other [name]Cor[/name]-names. I also like [name]Carina[/name].

— [name]Lucy[/name]

Thanks, [name]Lucy[/name]!
I meant to include [name]Carlotta[/name] but then forgot all about her.

Wow you berries have been busy!

I love Vivenne and [name]Violet[/name] but can’t get my husband on board. [name]Ella[/name] is another fave of mine but it is the name of mother’s dog so that is out. [name]Caroline[/name] was our top name for years until we had our son [name]Jack[/name]. Now I feel like if we had a [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] we sound like we are trying to be the Kennedys!

As for all the foreign versions, I love them. But then I pair them with our last name [name]Friedman[/name] and I think they sound ridiculous. I do love the name [name]Kathleen[/name] and have considered it. My mother is [name]Cathleen[/name] and goes by [name]Cathy[/name] but has always thought a child deserves his/her own name and doesnt really want us to name after her. That is why we have talked about [name]Katherine[/name] instead.

Anyone like the name [name]Lucia[/name] ? Another name we like is [name]Natalie[/name] which is my grandmothers name but I hate the nn [name]Nat[/name].

I think [name]Gemma[/name] works with your last name. [name]Lucia[/name]-not a fan.

Yes, I totally forgot about the [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Kennedy[/name] thing! Well, I guess [name]Caroline[/name]'s out. I can see [name]Carlotta[/name] [name]Friedman[/name] working, actually. [name]Carlotta[/name]'s a foreign one that isn’t too foreign sounding, and to most people it would just be a normal name. Only your family, possibly close friends, and other baby name fanatics could tell you “oh, that’s the Italian version of [name]Charlotte[/name]!”
As for [name]Katherine[/name], if you go for the [name]Catherine[/name] spelling, it might be more unusual. I love [name]Cate[/name]/[name]Catie[/name] spelled with a C, you just don’t hear it as often.
I like [name]Lucia[/name], it’s very close to my own name [name]Lucinda[/name]. [name]Lucy[/name] is very cute, and I think all of the [name]Lucy[/name]-related names will be getting a revival in a few years.
[name]Natalie[/name] is pretty, and [name]Natalie[/name] [name]Friedman[/name] sounds so nice, like a movie star or something. (Maybe I’m just thinking of [name]Natalie[/name] Portman?) I’ve met a [name]Natalie[/name] who goes by [name]Tali[/name], so that’s a nn that could work. If you want something less common, how about [name]Natalia[/name]? Or the Russian [name]Natalya[/name]. I can see [name]Natalya[/name]/[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Friedman[/name] working too. And [name]Natalia[/name] has the nn [name]Talia[/name], which I love.
I’m wondering if you also like [name]Natasha[/name]? [name]Tasha[/name] or [name]Sasha[/name] work as nns.

I do like [name]Tali[/name] as a nickname for [name]Natalie[/name] or I was also thinking just Li ([name]Leigh[/name]). I can see my son shortening [name]Natalie[/name] to [name]Leigh[/name] since he calls his nanny [name]Cecelia[/name], Cee Cee and and another friend [name]Tia[/name], just T.

Personally I am not a huge fan of nicknames ( I have fought [name]Jen[/name] / [name]Jennie[/name] my whole life) which is why I tend to like names like [name]Jack[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name]…

If you like names without nicknames, try [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Cora[/name], or [name]Daphne[/name]. Neither of those have any actual nns. And I see your [name]Jen[/name]/[name]Jennie[/name] perspective; my name is [name]Lucinda[/name] and people never know whether to call me [name]Lucy[/name] or [name]Cindy[/name]. I honestly don’t like either and would rather just be [name]Lucinda[/name], but [name]Lucy[/name] just kind of stuck. At least I’m not one of 5 Cindys at my office.
BTW: Is [name]Gemma[/name] too close to [name]Jennifer[/name]/[name]Jenna[/name]? And it has the j sound at the beginning, so maybe you won’t like [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name]? [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Cora[/name] sounds very cute together though.

— [name]Lucy[/name]

I like [name]Lucy[/name] much more than [name]Jen[/name]! I do like [name]Cora[/name] too but think if i was going that route I would go for [name]Nora[/name]. I have never loved [name]Gemma[/name] even though I know it’s huge in the UK and it’s too close to [name]Emma[/name] for me. Naming a girl is so much harder than a boy, for
me at least!