Isabeaux nn Beau or Bowie...WDYT???

deleted…

[name]Beau[/name] makes me think of a boy. That being said, I love Isabeaux as a girl’s name. I think it would be great on a woman from any culture as it has a slightly exotic slant to it. You don’t hear the name Isabeaux every day.

Honestly, I don’t really like it. It seems like a boy’s name to me. In French, beau means handsome.
Why not [name]Isabelle[/name]? :slight_smile:

thanks for the feedback:)

I don’t like [name]Isabelle[/name], but thanks for the feedback.

I love, love, love the name Isabeaux (except I like it without the x). I think it’s beautiful, romantic, unique without being weird and definitely unforgettable. I have loved the name ever since I saw the movie Ladyhawke with [name]Michelle[/name] Pheiffer - her character was [name]Isabeau[/name].

I think you couldn’t go wrong with this name and as for a nn - I would just call her Isabeaux. [name]Lovely[/name] choice.

P.S. If your daugther looks like the girls in the photos then there are some really fantastic genes at work!

[name]Isabeau[/name] with the nick name [name]Bowie[/name] or [name]Beau[/name] is BEYOND amazing! I love it!! I can perfectly see it on a biracial little girl…and it would fit so spunkily (is that a word? :stuck_out_tongue: ) on any of those girls up there!
Go for it!

I like the sound of nn [name]Beau[/name] or [name]Bowie[/name] but I don’t see the appeal of Isabeaux. [name]Beau[/name] is a masculine adjective in French, and Beaux is masculine and plural - neither of these seem to fit a girls name to me.

[name]Martina[/name],

I wasn’t aware [name]Adriana[/name] Lima was mix-raced! So, you’re basically asking if [name]Isabeau[/name] fits a girl who is mixed-race, then? I think, if you’ve got a daughter who looks like [name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Williams[/name] or [name]Jasmine[/name] [name]Sanders[/name] or even [name]Jessica[/name] Szohr, then, yes, [name]Isabeau[/name] is fitting, particularly if you’ve got a girlish girl on your hands. Yes, [name]Beau[/name] is traditionally a male name, but it is spunky and fun, and I really like it. I think this is a great name, [name]Martina[/name]!

(I’d pair it with a more traditional or common name, though, as in [name]Isabeau[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Isabeau[/name] [name]Jane[/name].)

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I find it strange, since ‘beaux’ is the masculine plural form of the word ‘belle’. I also really don’t like it with the X, and I’ve never seen the name spelled that way. I think it’d make a great middle name, but yeah, not very usable for a first name.

I definitely think it works, it is a great name… but I agree that you should pair it with a feminine, common middle name. Isabeaux [name]Jane[/name] is darling! Really fun nicknames, too! But I think [name]Isabeau[/name]/Isabeaux is fantastic on its own :slight_smile:

I adore this choice – but I’m not sure I should tell you my story with Isabeaux… It is a name I didn’t exactly choose but ended with all the same. And I hope it won’t make you hate the name, but my Isabeaux is – a cat!

A small, unbearably cute cat (I assumed a kitten) was hanging out in my yard. I decided (hopefully) this was a boy – as that meant I wouldn’t have to rush him to vet to avoid immediate kittens. This kitten-like creature’s defining characteristic was cuteness. As I couldn’t remember “cute” in French, I started calling this stray I was feeding [name]Beau[/name]. Well – when I pick up [name]Beau[/name], I realized SHE would have to rushed to the vet immediately to avoid kittens. I kept her around as she recovered from her spay and she became a much loved family kitty. I tried changing her name to [name]Belle[/name], but it wasn’t working for me and didn’t suit her. I thought about [name]Bow[/name], as in [name]Clara[/name], and how one could say this little kitty was a bow on the present of life. I thought about [name]Bo[/name] [name]Dereck[/name] in 10. I even thought about (a feathered) Boa. But in the end she became Isabeaux, a name (like you) I had encountered somewhere in a baby naming book or something. She is still small and unbearably cute.

I know I am talking about a cat, but you can’t believe the positive responses I have gotten to her name. I would recommend this name for a child in a heartbeat. Many people have commented on how charming my cat’s name is. She is usually Beaux, and because she is a cat, some have a problem remembering she is female. If they do, I use Isabeaux a few times and “girl” comes through loud and clear. One friend even asked if I would mind if she suggested the name for one of grandchildren!

[name]Beau[/name] does mean handsome – a word that was used to describe attractive women not that long ago, as all readers of [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] know. This is the final showdown between [name]Caroline[/name] Bingley and Mr. [name]Darcy[/name] over [name]Lizzie[/name]:

"“For my own part,” she [[name]Caroline[/name]] rejoined, “I must confess that I never could see any beauty in her. Her face is too thin; her complexion has no brilliancy; and her features are not at all handsome. Her nose wants character-- there is nothing marked in its lines. Her teeth are tolerable, but not out of the common way; and as for her eyes, which have sometimes been called so fine, I could never see anything extraordinary in them. They have a sharp, shrewish look, which I do not like at all; and in her air altogether there is a self-sufficiency without fashion, which is intolerable.”

Persuaded as Miss Bingley was that [name]Darcy[/name] admired [name]Elizabeth[/name], this was not the best method of recommending herself; but angry people are not always wise; and in seeing him at last look somewhat nettled, she had all the success she expected. He was resolutely silent, however, and, from a determination of making him speak, she continued:

“I remember, when we first knew her in Hertfordshire, how amazed we all were to find that she was a reputed beauty; and I particularly recollect your saying one night, after they had been dining at Netherfield, SHE a beauty! I should as soon call her mother a wit.’ But afterwards she seemed to improve on you, and I believe you thought her rather pretty at one time.”

“Yes,” replied [name]Darcy[/name], who could contain himself no longer, “but THAT was only when I first saw her, for it is many months since I have considered her as one of the handsomest women of my acquaintances.” "

Beaux is the French feminine of beau.

I think [name]Bowie[/name] is darling although I haven’t used it.

I prefer the spelling [name]Isabeau[/name]. The x makes it plural, which throws me off. Plus it just looks over the top. That being said, I would definitely call her [name]Isabeau[/name], if you do end up with the nickname [name]Beau[/name] I would spell it [name]Bo[/name] instead (like [name]Bo[/name] [name]Derek[/name]) since [name]Beau[/name] is a masculine word. [name]Bowie[/name] is adorable though (and [name]David[/name] [name]Bowie[/name] is amazing)… Overall I love the name, it is a much stronger choice than [name]Isabelle[/name]/a or [name]Isadora[/name], and slightly more exotic.

I like Isabeaux, with the x! I think it looks more feminine and exotic and unexpected. I think for nn I’d go with [name]Bo[/name] or instead of [name]Beau[/name].

Some people may not know how to pronounce it the first time (I have no French background and no idea how [name]Beau[/name] is pronounced at first, and English isn’t my first language), but it’s one of those words that once you hear it once, you will remember it.