Isabel - way too common now?

One of my middle names is [name]Isabel[/name] and I have been dead set on using it for my little girl for as long as I can remember. One of the reasons I began loving it so much was that it was quite uncommon 15 years ago. Its popularity is devastating to me!

So what do you think? Stick with the name I love and face the possibility of several other [name]Isabel[/name]'s, [name]Isabella[/name]'s, [name]Bella[/name]'s, etc. in her class? Or use it as a middle name and select something more unique and not so common as her first name? I have been leaning towards the second option for a while, but I have been so set on [name]Isabel[/name] it is hard for me to even consider other possibilities. That said, I cannot imagine not using it as her first name. What a dilemma! Help! :slight_smile:

While it is growing more and more popular, I think with its importance to you, it shouldn’t matter. You aren’t using [name]Isabel[/name] to follow the trend or because you “just like it.” It’s a family name with a significant meaning to you, and she can always make it her own…[name]Isabel/name is also not as popular as [name]Isabella[/name]. I’ve only met one [name]Isabel[/name] (and I’m around little kids a lot) and she graduated with me from high school last [name]May[/name]!
Good luck!

I don’t think that the [name]Isabel[/name] spelling is particularly common at all, and even if it was, the significance it has to you far outweighs the names popularity – in my opinion. [name]Isabelle[/name] is common, as is the nickname [name]Bella[/name]. I personally love [name]Isabel[/name], with this streamlined, simply elegant spelling, and the nickname [name]Izzy[/name] is a cute alternative to the mainstream nickname, [name]Bella[/name]. I’d go ahead and use it! It is truly a beautiful name…

Yes, both of you are right! It’s importance and meaning to me should trump the trends. I like the idea of [name]Izzy[/name] as a nickname, though I would probably spell it [name]Isi[/name].

Thanks, ladies!

Can I just chime in to say that [name]Isabel[/name] (my favorite spelling) combined with [name]Isabelle[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name] is by far the number one name? I agree that personal significance trumps trendiness but I do think you should know that you will be dealing with a huge number of other little Isabels etc.

I agree - it really is super, super popular. I think since its uniqueness was one of the things you loved, I would probably use it in the middle (and it’s a nice connection between you and your daughter - may even start a new tradition). Having said that, one of my friends used it a few months ago knowing full well how popular it is (she uses [name]Isabelle[/name] and [name]Izzy[/name]) and she has no regrets because she still loves the name and it really suits her daughter. I’m not sure how they’ll both feel once she goes to school.