Isla and Eli?

[name]Hi[/name] all!
I have 4 weeks to go before baby girl arrives and my husband and I love the name [name]Isla[/name]. Our sons name is [name]Eli[/name] and a well meaning friend commented that we wouldn’t choose [name]Isla[/name] now because saying “[name]Eli[/name] & [name]Isla[/name]” together would sound funny. I would love to hear your honest opinions on how the names sound together or does it matter at all?! [name]Baby[/name] brain is making me confused :confused:

Hubby’s sitting here: he says it kinda works. I like both names and they suit each other in style. I’d just be worried about the tangle coming out of my mouth when calling one or the other in a pinch.

I think they are both lovely names, and like the PP said, suit each other style-wise. However, [name]Eli[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] sounds like a bit of a tongue-twister. I’ve said it several times now. [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Eli[/name] is somewhat easier for me to say. I don’t know how much this matters. You’ll probably say their names together quite a lot over the next few years, but honestly, that’s probably fine. You can get used to saying them deliberately and soon it will sound totally natural.

(And I really love [name]Isla[/name]!)

[name]Both[/name] [name]Eli[/name] & [name]Isla[/name] are beautiful names. I don’t think it sounds funny at all.

it’s almost like they are the reverse of each other. I personally would not use the names together.

They sound like the other one backwards. eye-la and eel-eye. Really not a fan of them together.

I agree: to me, they sound like the same name, one forwards, one backwards. I personally wouldn’t use them together… But I know what it’s like to love a name; at the end of the day, it always comes down to what you love.

Yeah, sorry, I think it sounds funny.

This exactly, personally I wouldn’t use them, but if it’s the name you love, go for it

I love the name [name]Isla[/name]. It’s not a perfect fit with [name]Eli[/name] but everyone will get used to it. :slight_smile:

[name]Both[/name] very nice names, but they are incredibly similar. If you like that twin-like feeling ([name]Molly[/name] and [name]Millie[/name], [name]Jane[/name] and [name]James[/name], etc) then go for it. I know someone with two brothers named [name]Dennis[/name] and a sister named [name]Denise[/name].
Personally, I’d look for something more distinct. Any other names you’ve considered?

Aaah!

I totally understand what your friend is saying [name]Isla[/name] & [name]Eli[/name] feels like a tongue-twister, the names just don’t work well together. Have you got a potential middle name for [name]Isla[/name]? If so what about swapping the names around so instead of [name]Isla[/name] [name]Jane[/name] maybe [name]Jane[/name] [name]Isla[/name]? For example.

[name]Isla[/name] and [name]Eli[/name] are incredibly similar. [name]Both[/name] are two syllables with an “L” and a long “I” sound. It’s very matchy, but if you only plan to have two kids I guess it could work…