Isla or Grace

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], I love both of these names for a baby girl but just concerned that they may be overly feminine thst if she wasn’t a girly girl they wouldn’t necessarily fit or potentially too girly for job applications. I love them both and also struggling to pick one for the first name so appreciate your thoughts.

2 Likes

I like the solid, friendly feel of [name_f]Grace[/name_f]! I don’t think they’re overly girly (tbh especially [name_f]Grace[/name_f] couldn’t be less frilly) and femininity isn’t a bad thing?

I like the bright [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. It doesn’t feel frilly to me

Thanks, that’s true and a lot of the more floral names like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] etc seem to becoming back in so it’s likely that lots will have feminine names. The names now adays strike me as more feminine than my generation when there were tons of Jessica’s and Jennifer’s. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is very popular which puts me off it a little but I’ve always loved it and is a family name for my husband. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] strikes me as slightly more unique and probably won’t be one of many in her class with it

Actually [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is one of the fastest rising names in the US (and already a very popular name in the UK)

I love [name_f]Grace[/name_f], Its a classic and [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] is such a sweet nn :pleading_face:

I prefer [name_f]Grace[/name_f], I have a bad association with [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. Plus [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is super sweet overall.

My pick would be the charming & lovely Isla! Even though her popularity is rapidly increasing. I can also see Isla fitting on a very sporty girl, and just being a versatile name overall. I’m not a fan of Grace personally, but I do see her as the less “girly” option, if that’s what you’re looking for!

Interesting - even though [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is rising in popularity, I actually have never come across one where I live. Living in [name_u]Ireland[/name_u] and it’s number 26

In NZ and parts of Australia [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is number #1 now :frowning: it’s my top name for a girl too and I’ve never met one but I think she’s here to stay. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is having a moment but she’s more timeless, as in, she won’t be obviously a 2021 baby.

Either one would look fine on a job application. I like the short but sweet [name_f]Grace[/name_f]!

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote is [name_f]Isla[/name_f] :relaxed:

Both lovely but [name_f]Isla[/name_f] takes it for me a a first name. It’s on my list.

Definitely not too feminine or girly! They’re quite well-loved in several countries for a reason - they’re versatile and beautiful!

Anyone know what’s behind the rise in popularity for [name_f]Isla[/name_f]? It’s funny I don’t recall it at all when I was growing up. Any suggestions for other names similar to [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f]?

Thanks for all comments by the way - it’s very helpful to get your perspective particularly given these names are more widely used in countries outside of [name_u]Ireland[/name_u]. [name_u]Ireland[/name_u] seems to be having a moment with Irish named like [name_f]Fiadh[/name_f] and [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] but I struggle with names spelt in Gaeilge although lots of them are beautiful names.

I Iike the traditional [name_f]Grace[/name_f] ! It’s elegant but also lends to nicknames like [name_m]Ace[/name_m] or [name_u]Gray[/name_u] if they prefer more unisex names

I love [name_f]Isla[/name_f] too but it feels more trendy

[name_f]Grace[/name_f].

Definitely [name_f]Grace[/name_f].
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] is too trendy for me.

I love this attitude. :slight_smile: