Isla or Iris?

I really like [name]Iris[/name] in almost every way. I like classics, especially underused/under-discovered ones. I like flower and nature names. I love the goddess of the rainbow connection. I think the [name]Iris[/name] is probably the most beautiful flower there is. BUT. I’m not sure I love the sound! Sometimes I think it’s very pretty, but other times it seems a bit harsh. I love the sound if [name]Isla[/name], but it’s much more flimsy in terms of history/meaning. So which is it? [name]Iris[/name] or [name]Isla[/name]? What would you choose and why?

I’d easily go with [name]Isla[/name] due to the fact I have bad associations with the name [name]Iris[/name]. [name]Isla[/name] reminds me of a tropical island, a relaxing place I’d like to go when I feel tense. I guess you could say [name]Isla[/name] has a relaxing property to it for me.

[name]Both[/name] are pretty, but [name]Isla[/name] is more contemporary while [name]Iris[/name] is more classic to me. Also, [name]Ilse[/name] as the unusual one and there’s always Isis. It’s all a matter of taste (and my tastes lean towards [name]Iris[/name] myself)

I prefer [name]Iris[/name], it is strong yet pretty :slight_smile:

I vastly prefer [name]Iris[/name]. [name]Love[/name] the history and the sound. Maybe you’d like [name]Isis[/name] for a softer sound? I’ve known a very sweet little girl with that name.

I’m also a big fan of [name]Iris[/name] over [name]Isla[/name] - [name]Isla[/name] is a bit trendy/contemporary for my tastes.

I think [name]Iris[/name] sounds darling.

They are both lovely, but I also slightly prefer [name]Iris[/name].

[name]Isla[/name] is softer sounding and very pretty. [name]Iris[/name] reminds me of old ladies.

I just wanted to bump this up because I have recently discovered [name]Iris[/name], and have added it to my list along with [name]Isla[/name]. I’m not sure which I prefer- [name]Isla[/name] sounds more feminine, but [name]Iris[/name] has more spunk. I used to see “old lady” with [name]Iris[/name], but after reading more about the Greek [name]Goddess[/name], my mind has been changed.

I prefer [name]Iris[/name] too. I think that it is nice sounding, not too harsh at all!

I really like both, just like you, for the same reasons haha. I would need to know you personally to say which I prefer more. Good luck, can’t wait to hear which you choose :slight_smile:

Hello, I love both names but i would go for [name]Isla[/name]. I may be a bit biased though, because that is my daughters name. Good luck! and Congrratulations!

I love [name]Iris[/name]! I think it’s beautiful, not harsh at all, but my name is [name]Eros[/name], so maybe I’m just used to the hard ‘r’. I’ve never liked [name]Isla[/name], and now it’s becoming trendy too. I think the sound is just too soft, nothing substantial to hang a hat on, you know?

I love the name [name]Isla[/name]. [name]Iris[/name] is okay (it’s my stepmother’s name). I feel they are quite different in style. [name]Iris[/name] is still a bit old lady to me (not that that is such a bad thing) but I judging from posts on here, it’s being considered again for babies. Isla has a more modern feel.

I first heard of the name Isla in a book back in the 70s, long before its current popularity in the US, and have liked it since then.

I love [name]Iris[/name] and strongly dislike [name]Isla[/name]. [name]Iris[/name] is classic, while [name]Isla[/name] is trendy.

I like [name]Iris[/name] quite a bit, but if given a choice, I would go with [name]Isla[/name] because overall, I find the sound more pleasing.

For some reason, [name]Isla[/name] doesnt appeal to me at all.

I really like [name]Iris[/name], one of the stronger sounding flower names imo. I also like [name]Isis[/name] and Ibis.