Isolde & Yseult?

Nameberry says [name]Isolde[/name] is Welsh for “Ice Ruler”, but [name]Yseult[/name] is Irish for “Fair; [name]Light[/name]-skinned”. I thought [name]Yseult[/name] was a variation of [name]Isolde[/name]? If so, wouldn’t they mean the same thing? Am I going crazy? :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] on a preliminary sidenote, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Yseult[/name] (althought I slightly prefer the spelling [name]Iseult[/name]) - and I too always thought that it was a form of [name]Isolde[/name]? Actually, I just checked the Nameberry listings for [name]Isolde[/name] and [name]Yseult[/name] and it even says that [name]Yseult[/name] is a variation…I’m confused now too. Sorry I couldn’t be more help!

Same name, different language, as far as I know. The name of the tale in French is [name]Tristan[/name] et [name]Iseult[/name].

Nameberry is better than most baby name sites at name meanings but I still would not rely on it for accurate history and meanings. Check out Behind the Name dot com for that. It is the most accurate I know of.

[name]Isolde[/name] and [name]Yseult[/name] are different versions of the same name.

It’s gorgeous, so beautiful and evocative! They are the same name, [name]Isolde[/name] has many variations:

[name]Isolde[/name] - enslish
[name]Isolda[/name] - english
[name]Iseult[/name] - french
[name]Yseult[/name] - irish
Eseld - cornish
Esyllt -welsh
[name]Isotta[/name] - italian

Thank you guys so much! It totally makes sense now.

And [name]Ottilie[/name]- thanks so much for the different variations! My favorites are [name]Isolde[/name], [name]Isolda[/name], [name]Iseult[/name] and [name]Yseult[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] these names, and I’m so glad to understand their history and meaning now.

Well [name]Isolde[/name] is likely Cymraeg (welsh language) and [name]Yseult[/name] is likely Gaelic. I thought they both meant “fair lady”.