It always comes back to...

[name_u]Dexter[/name_u]!

First of all, I am officially PREGNANT with our first! So now I can actually discuss names. I am only 4 weeks in, so of course I don’t know the sex of the baby yet. However, now hubby and I are really starting to talk about names. The only boy name we can agree on is [name_u]Dexter[/name_u]. I’ve brought it up a lot on nameberry, but I have to ask again-what do you think?!
Too serial killer or is it just plain cute?

Thank you!

Serial Killer. Definitely serial killer. I’ve never seen the show [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], but I’ve heard enough about it for it to be the first thing I think of when I hear the name.
Then again, people around here where I live seem to be really quite conservative with their naming, so it may just be me.

I’ve never seen the TV show, so I would say cute! Though it does remind me of the kids show [name_u]Dexter[/name_u]'s Laboratory…

I like [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] and the nn [name_m]Dex[/name_m] is great [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

I have never heard of the show at all, granted my husband and I only watch movies as we do not have TV channels or any other thing like Netflix.

Serial killer, sorry.

It’s become one of those names that’s almost been ruined by a TV show character. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it was a fairly normal name in its own right before, it now gets linked. I love the name [name_m]Hannibal[/name_m] but for the same reason wouldn’t use it now.

I love [name_u]Dexter[/name_u]. I had it on my top 5 but I looked into the show, I have never watched it. I live in FL and the show is based in FL. I felt it best to go with other names. We love and adore so many names, no need to use one we feel iffy about. Plus it has no honoring or special meaning for us.

I’ve been hearing it used on kids in my neighborhood (at least one, maybe two little ones under four), so I’d say people are getting over any association the name originally had with the TV show. I really like it!

I love the show, but that isn’t my first thought. Honestly first I think of a kid I went to elementary school with, and then I think of a small town in my State called [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] that has a shoe factory, and then the TV show.
So, I say go for it. If it is a name you both love, use it. If anyone brings up the connection just say that they were plenty of boys named [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] before the show, and there will be plenty after the show is forgotten.

That’s what I’m hoping-the connection with the show will die over time. [name_m]Just[/name_m] imagine a cheeky little boy names [name_m]Dex[/name_m]. Melts my heart!

I like it. Maybe the only surname-like name I’ve ever warmed to. A little edgy, a little cute, great sound. Go for it :slight_smile:

I like it! While I haven’t seen all of [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], the character [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] is not seen as a purely evil being, the character is developed and conflicted, etc. I think that keeps the name more relatable outside of the show, versus being tied to/symbolizing a strongly evil character.
It’s a bit how, oooh for example, [name_m]Barney[/name_m] is for many not a name they’d consider because what Barneys in TV have been well rounded characters? All the ones I can think of have been caricatures, flat exaggerations. I think that exaggeration is what turns a name into an unusable ‘label’ of sorts. People may balk more on [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] because it is after all (like [name_m]Barney[/name_m] in the dinosaur instance) the title name of the show, so it is more strongly recognized… But I still think it’s usable, and a nice name.
If you do change your mind, [name_m]Declan[/name_m] nn [name_m]Dex[/name_m] works as an alternative :slight_smile:

I love it! There can be a bad association for any name.

I really like it! I don’t associate the name [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] with the TV show, probably because I’ve never seen it.

Dexters laboratory … I don’t think of the tv series dexter

Never seen nor heard of the show and even if I had I think [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] would still be fine to use. [name_f]Every[/name_f] name is going to have some negative association, either now or in the future and there isn’t much we can do to avoid that. [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] is a very cute name and I think if you both agree on it then that’s great :slight_smile: