It’s time I stop calling her “Mia’s Sister”

Hello everyone! I had to double check that I’ve never made a thread specifically about this character before because I don’t like to double post; I’ve made about a thousand quick polls though, and technically I made a thread way back in 2020, when I was first fleshing out this story idea, but it wasn’t specifically about her so I think I’m good.

As you can probably guess, this character is [name_f]Mia[/name_f]’s sister. Some more info…

She’s 14 years old, at that age and attitude where she’s about to go into high school and thinks she knows everything. She comes from a family of overachievers (dad is an athlete-turned-academic, mom is a renowned author, older sister is a bubbly cheerleader heading for [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] Leagues), and that sometimes makes her feel left out or unappreciated. Her strength is art, especially drawing, and she’s a great writer as well. She can be moody and sarcastic, like any teenager, and acts tougher than she is.

The story takes place in the US—specifically, the character in question is from Boston—in the present.

Family / Other Characters (story centers around her and [name_f]Mia[/name_f], and their cousins)
Parents: [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] “[name_m]Josh[/name_m]” (dad) and [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] “[name_u]Alex[/name_u]” (mom)
Sibling(s): [name_f]Mia[/name_f] (sister, 16)
Cousins: [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] “[name_m]Sander[/name_m]”, [name_f]Endellion[/name_f] “[name_f]Della[/name_f]”, [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] “[name_u]Ozzy[/name_u]”, [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
Aunts/Uncles ([name_m]Josh[/name_m]’s side): [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_u]Mallory[/name_u], [name_u]Kim[/name_u] (estranged aunt)

NAME REQUIREMENTS (be prepared, I’m asking because I’m really, really desperate)

• CAN’T start with S, D, O, or H. Avoid E names too, unless it’s notably different from [name_f]Embla[/name_f] (last primary character to mention)
  • CAN’T end with an -uh sound (like [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Della[/name_f], and [name_f]Embla[/name_f])
  • CAN’T be too similar to [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_m]Sander[/name_m], [name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_u]Ozzy[/name_u], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], or [name_f]Embla[/name_f]
  • CAN’T be vintage or unfamiliar. I’m trying to keep the sibsets distinct so people have an easier time remembering who are siblings and who are cousins. Her sibset theme is modern, typical, easy, familiar, and safe. Open to unisex and uncommon names, as long as they fit this general vibe
  • CAN’T be a color or fall themed (or otherwise too themed with [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], who is also 14 so they’re often paired together)
  • MUST be a name I like / CAN’T be overused (this is subjective, I’m sorry)
Names I’ve considered (and why I haven’t committed to them)

Eliminated:
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u] (too close to [name_f]Hazel[/name_f])
[name_u]Skylar[/name_u] (too close to [name_m]Sander[/name_m])
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f] (too close to [name_m]Sander[/name_m])
[name_u]Jade[/name_u] (too themed with [name_f]Hazel[/name_f])
[name_f]Autumn[/name_f] (too themed with [name_f]Hazel[/name_f])
[name_u]Emery[/name_u]/[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]/[name_f]Emmy[/name_f] (too close to [name_f]Embla[/name_f])
[name_f]Bella[/name_f] (too close to [name_f]Della[/name_f])
[name_f]Layla[/name_f] (too much -uh in the entire set)
[name_f]Lexi[/name_f] (too close to mom [name_u]Alex[/name_u])
[name_f]Josie[/name_f] (too close to [name_u]Ozzy[/name_u])
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] (too overused)
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] (too themed with [name_f]Hazel[/name_f])
[name_f]Laina[/name_f] (too much -uh in the entire set)

Still on the table (feel free to plead your case!):
[name_u]Riley[/name_u] (overused, boring—has been her name for the longest though so I’m having a hard time separating the name from her)
[name_u]Blake[/name_u] (something feels off)
[name_u]Bryn[/name_u]/[name_f]Brynn[/name_f] (something feels off)
[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u]/[name_f]Kenzie[/name_f] (something feels off)
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] (too overused?)
[name_u]Everly[/name_u] (too close to [name_f]Embla[/name_f]?)
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] (not your problem, but can I commit to taking it off my personal list?)
[name_f]Adalyn[/name_f] (too frilly?)
[name_u]Finley[/name_u] (something feels off)
[name_u]Logan[/name_u] (too masculine?)
[name_u]Remy[/name_u] (too similar to [name_f]Mia[/name_f]?)
[name_f]Zoey[/name_f] (the only [name_f]Mia[/name_f] I’ve ever met had a twin sister [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] so I worry about using a sibset I know IRL)
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u] (name of a close association who is a boy… would probably still use it if perfect though)
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] (too vintage?)
[name_u]Tegan[/name_u] (too uncommon?)
[name_f]Lainey[/name_f]/[name_f]Lainy[/name_f] (does it need a full name?)

Some visuals

Thank you!!

[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_f]Addie[/name_f]
(I like [name_u]Logan[/name_u] and know a girl with this name!)
[name_f]Bea[/name_f]
[name_f]Annie[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Zoey[/name_f]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_f]Gillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]

1 Like

I second [name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_u]Kai[/name_u], [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_u]Piper[/name_u], and [name_u]Avery[/name_u].

[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] nn Abbie/Abby
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Tori[/name_f]
Cat/Kat
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] (or another spelling)
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_u]Blaire[/name_u]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]

1 Like

First of all, thank you both! I’m so happy that post wasn’t too intimidating :sweat_smile:

@AerieEerie I also know girls named [name_u]Logan[/name_u] (in fact, I’m not sure I’ve ever met a boy named Logan) but the name still reads masculine to me, which is making it hard to picture on the character.
I’ve also considered [name_f]Zoey[/name_f], [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], and [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] (forgot to add them to my list), and they’re all in the grey area so I’ll consider your suggestion as pleading a case for them! Same with [name_u]Avery[/name_u].
[name_f]Addie[/name_f] is one I really like! I just hope it isn’t too close to my name. [name_u]Kai[/name_u] is also interesting. [name_f]My[/name_f] gut reaction was that it’s too out-there but as a nickname for [name_f]Kaia[/name_f] or [name_u]Skylar[/name_u], it actually fits really well!

@Hufflepuff4 [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] is another old consideration that I forgot to add (oops :sweat_smile:) but I worry it’s too vintage.
[name_u]Blair[/name_u] is a great suggestion as well!

1 Like

[name_f]Mia[/name_f] and…

[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Danielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]
[name_u]Lauren[/name_u]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Kate[/name_f] (or both!)
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoey[/name_f]
[name_u]Lindsay[/name_u]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_u]Reagan[/name_u]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Ashely[/name_f]
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] or [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Faith[/name_f]
[name_f]Hayley[/name_f]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]

These were fun to think up and choose!! Some of mine, admittedly, don’t follow the rules… but perhaps they’ll provide some inspiration.

1 Like

I’ll give it a shot with a few I don’t think have been mentioned yet:
[name_u]Ryan[/name_u] / [name_f]Ryann[/name_f] (similar to [name_u]Riley[/name_u] but not?)
[name_u]Laney[/name_u] / [name_f]Lainey[/name_f]
[name_u]Lane[/name_u] / [name_u]Layne[/name_u]
[name_u]Cass[/name_u] / [name_f]Cassie[/name_f]
[name_f]Brie[/name_f] / [name_f]Bree[/name_f] / [name_f]Brianne[/name_f]
[name_u]Harley[/name_u] / [name_u]Harlow[/name_u] (still too close to Hazel)
[name_u]Beck[/name_u] / [name_u]Beckett[/name_u]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] (Bella but not? But too close Mia)
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] / [name_u]Gwyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Wyatt[/name_u]
[name_u]Cam[/name_u] / [name_f]Cami[/name_f] / [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] / [name_u]Camryn[/name_u]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f] / [name_f]Evie[/name_f]
[name_u]Bryce[/name_u]
[name_f]Erin[/name_f] / [name_f]Eryn[/name_f] (Too dated to go with Mia)
[name_f]Lakyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Ashton[/name_u]
[name_f]Roslyn[/name_f] (prn. roz-lynn – but too close to Ozzy)
[name_m]Truett[/name_m]
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u]
[name_u]Perrin[/name_u] / [name_f]Perri[/name_f]
[name_u]Leighton[/name_u] / [name_u]Layton[/name_u]
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellery[/name_u]
[name_u]Monroe[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_f]Kendra[/name_f]
[name_u]Fallon[/name_u]
[name_m]Talyn[/name_m] (prn. tay-lynn)
[name_u]Maddox[/name_u] / [name_u]Madden[/name_u] / [name_m]Mads[/name_m]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u] (too close to Mia?)
[name_u]Rae[/name_u] / [name_f]Raelyn[/name_f] / [name_f]Desirae[/name_f]
[name_u]Haven[/name_u] (still too close to Hazel)
[name_f]Winnie[/name_f] (too vintage?)
[name_f]Macy[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_u]Rikki[/name_u]
[name_f]Callie[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f] / [name_f]Livvy[/name_f] / [name_f]Livia[/name_f] / [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Brie[/name_f]
[name_f]Meg[/name_f] / [name_f]Megan[/name_f]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Lauryn[/name_f]
[name_u]Cassidy[/name_u]
[name_u]Cadence[/name_u]
[name_f]Miley[/name_f] (similar to [name_u]Riley[/name_u] but still different?)
[name_u]Halle[/name_u]
[name_f]Marielle[/name_f] / [name_u]Marian[/name_u] / [name_f]Marissa[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mari[/name_f]
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u] / [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Chelsea[/name_u]
[name_u]Gabby[/name_u] / [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Marnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariah[/name_f]
[name_f]Kylie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cait[/name_f] / [name_f]Kate[/name_f] / [name_f]Cate[/name_f] (maybe as a nn for [name_f]Caitlyn[/name_f] / Katelyn?)
[name_u]Jayden[/name_u]
[name_u]Reece[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_m]Ramie[/name_m]
[name_u]Remi[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]
[name_u]Hayden[/name_u]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_u]Max[/name_u] (as a nn for something else? [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] maybe?)
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]
[name_m]Collin[/name_m] / [name_u]Collins[/name_u]
[name_u]Mattie[/name_u]
[name_u]Jules[/name_u]
[name_m]Terryn[/name_m] / [name_m]Terran[/name_m]
Tauryn
[name_m]Farryn[/name_m]
[name_u]Aspen[/name_u] (too close to Hazel)
[name_u]Nori[/name_u] (as a nn for something like Eleanor?)
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_f]Lindy[/name_f]
[name_f]Mellie[/name_f] (too close to Mallory?)
[name_u]Quincy[/name_u]
[name_u]Zuri[/name_u] / Zurielle
[name_u]Braelyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Brady[/name_u]

1 Like

I’m having a hard time finding a balance between “easy, familiar, and safe” but not overused, so I’m just going to suggest whatever comes to mind and hope you like some of them, lol!

[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] (or another spelling)
[name_f]Kate[/name_f] / [name_f]Katie[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] (not sure if this is too color-themed)
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
[name_f]Faith[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_u]Zoe[/name_u]
[name_u]Taylor[/name_u]
[name_f]Nicole[/name_f]
[name_u]Lindsay[/name_u] / [name_u]Lindsey[/name_u]
[name_u]Lauren[/name_u]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Annie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u] / [name_u]Payton[/name_u]
[name_u]Tatum[/name_u]
[name_u]Cassidy[/name_u]
[name_f]Cassie[/name_f]
[name_f]Callie[/name_f]
[name_u]Izzy[/name_u] / [name_f]Izzie[/name_f]
[name_u]Cameron[/name_u] / [name_u]Camryn[/name_u] / [name_u]Kamryn[/name_u] etc
[name_u]Jamie[/name_u]
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u]
[name_f]Carly[/name_f]
[name_u]Casey[/name_u] / [name_u]Kacey[/name_u]
[name_u]Jessie[/name_u]
[name_f]Lainey[/name_f]

I like [name_u]Avery[/name_u], [name_f]Zoey[/name_f], [name_u]Piper[/name_u], and [name_u]Logan[/name_u] a lot of your ideas! Both [name_u]Avery[/name_u] and [name_u]Zoe[/name_u] actually came to mind before I checked your list of “still on the table”. And [name_u]Logan[/name_u] is firmly unisex in my mind – I know it’s more popular for boys but the only [name_u]Logan[/name_u] I knew growing up was a girl so it’s not too masculine in my mind.

1 Like

@snowmaiden I’m encouraged to see [name_u]Avery[/name_u] and [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] came to mind for you as well!
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u] is also a great idea!

@GreenEyes375 oh, I also forgot [name_f]Lainy[/name_f]! That one is still on the table as well, so I’m happy to see someone else thought of it too!
[name_f]Bri[/name_f], [name_f]Cami[/name_f], and Maddie/Mattie are excellent ideas! Maybe the way to go is finding a nickname I’m fine with so I can go with a full name that fits the vibe, regardless of whether or not I like it.

@EagleEyes yes, i feel! Especially because so many of the popular names I like would be considered vintage (hello [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] and Violet) or are too close to other characters (Mila and Stella), so what’s left are the names that have been popular since I was growing up (and, thus, feel overused).
I like the idea of [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] (or maybe Jordyn?) and [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u]!

A few people have brought up some more modern, masculine-leaning names (Lane, [name_u]Kai[/name_u], [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u], and [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u], in particular) that I think could really work, but make more sense if the character was maybe a bit more gender-fluid. Which wasn’t something I considered before, and wouldn’t be against, but would require a bit of rethinking on my part.

2 Likes

count any repeats as seconds! also, for what it’s worth, i really like vivian with the set and i don’t see it as vintage. i really like finley (or finn??), quinn, and tegan. i think teagan might be a more familiar-feeling name just due to the similarities to keegan etc.

(sorry if they don’t fit the criteria, i tried, but some of them were just stream of consciousness) mia and…

isabel
josie (might be too similar to ozzy though?)
eve / evie
ivy (but i think you have a character in another wip named ivy?)
poppy
ruby
jasmin
lux
tess
phoebe
claire
kat / kit
lucy
liv
lulu
libby
sky
ines
cleo
gwen
rory
paige
esme
eden
june
wren
bea
layne / lane
blake
gwen
viv
bree / brie
jolie
edie
clarke
pip
may / mae / fay
arlo / arlowe
cameron / carson / camden
mack

1 Like

[name_u]Tegan[/name_u] doesn’t seem too uncommon to me, I think it works perfect.

1 Like

@Ellory I’m really overthinking it, I know… But nn [name_f]Viv[/name_f] or [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] could work really well if I lean into the artsy trait with her. [name_f]My[/name_f] issue with [name_u]Tegan[/name_u] is that I just prefer that spelling over [name_u]Teagan[/name_u] :sweat_smile: but if it’s the perfect name, I suppose it doesn’t matter how it’s spelled.
I like [name_f]Tess[/name_f] and [name_u]Mack[/name_u] as ideas!

@AntoniaMarie thank you! I used it for the character briefly but I worried it fit better with [name_u]Sander[/name_u], [name_f]Della[/name_f], and [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m], than with [name_f]Mia[/name_f].

2 Likes

I’m imaging this girl having a longer full name that her parents want her to go by one nickname but she’d rather go by a different nickname. Or her parents want the full name & she would rather go by a nickname.

Mackenzie - Kenzie / Mack
Katherine - Katie / Kat
Josephine - Josie / Jo
Elizabeth - Libby / Liz
Bronwyn - Bryn
Adalyn - Addy
Alaina - Lainey
Briana - Bri
Natalie - Nat
Cassidy - Cass
Danielle - Dani
Olivia - Liv

Also I think Zoey would be fine to use because Mia & Zoey are both fairly common names. I’m sure there are dozens of real-life sibsets that include Mia & Zoey.

1 Like

@Sadie307 lol I’m pretty sure her parents spent less time on a name than I’m spending :sweat_smile: but I’m definitely leaning towards the nickname idea because it’s easier for me to find popular/familiar nicknames that aren’t overused.
[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] “Kenzie”/“Mack” is currently on the shortlist!

1 Like

UPDATE:

Current shortlist (and some thoughts)
[name_u]Riley[/name_u] (her current name, still feeling “attached” to it against my will but less so as I’ve been thinking more, still feels overdone)
[name_u]Blake[/name_u] (still feels maybe too masculine next to [name_f]Mia[/name_f], like if she is a bit gender-fluid, it feels like well of course she is, her parents named her [name_u]Blake[/name_u] while her sister is Mia…)
[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] “Mack” or “Kenzie” (no specific thoughts, just not sold)
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] (might be too peppy for her anyway)
[name_u]Finley[/name_u] (#211 but dropping in popularity… too masculine? too uncommon next to Mia?)
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] “Viv” (open to other nn ideas besides [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] or [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u] because I worry [name_f]Viv[/name_f] is too peppy too)
[name_u]Teagan[/name_u] (#254 and also dropping in popularity)
[name_f]Lainy[/name_f] (too peppy?)
[name_u]Kai[/name_u] (full name needed)
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u] (not my favorite on this list but I like it more than [name_u]Riley[/name_u] and it feels similar to it)
Cassidy/Cassie (can’t use Cas/Cass as that’s a character in another WIP)
[name_u]Marley[/name_u] (new idea)

[name_u]Marley[/name_u] and [name_u]Mack[/name_u] are my favourites from your shortlist!

Others I thought of:
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] (maybe too preppy, but I really like [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and [name_f]Flick[/name_f] as a sibset)
[name_u]Jules[/name_u]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]
Callie/Caz
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isobel[/name_f] (maybe too popular?)

1 Like

Maybe:

[name_u]Blakely[/name_u]

[name_f]Kyla[/name_f] NN [name_u]Kai[/name_u]

1 Like