It's a boy! Help us find a name!

I thought for sure I was having a girl, so I’ve been concentrating mostly on girl names, but just had the big u/s yesterday and it’s another little boy!! Our first son is [name]Kai[/name].

We only have 2 names on our boys list:

[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Maddox[/name]

[name]Maddox[/name] was one of our top choices for our first son, but then ultimately decided on [name]Kai[/name] (FWIW, we pronounce it Mad-icks, not mad-[name]OX[/name]). The reason we nixed it the first time was because of [name]Angelina[/name], and it’s the reason I’m hesitating about it again.

[name]Dashiell[/name]- my husband and I went to school with a [name]Dashiell[/name], so we were both familiar with the name, but we fear that everyone else in our life will be like, “Huh?” especially parents, aunts & uncles, grandparents etc. Based on what I’ve read here on Nameberry, it’s an up and coming name, but I have yet to hear it on any other little boy around here (and I’m from New [name]York[/name]). I’m also afraid of spelling and pronunciation problems. We have enough of those with poor [name]Kai[/name].
[name]Love[/name] the nickname [name]Dash[/name]- totally see [name]Kai[/name] & [name]Dash[/name] together.

We’ve been trying both out since yesterday, and [name]Maddox[/name] seems to fit better than [name]Kai[/name], but I’m not 100% sold. I feel like we need to find another name that has more meaning…we chose [name]Kai[/name] because it means “the sea”- DH and I met at the beach when we were in high school, and we got married on the beach.
I guess I want something different, but not so obscure that no one has ever heard of it (even though [name]Kai[/name] is in the 200’s, you’d be surprised how many people have never heard of it before!)

Middle name will likely be [name]Harrison[/name], after my father and grandfather [name]Harry[/name].

Here are some other names we crossed off the list, either because only one of us liked the name, it was too popular etc.:

[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Seamus[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Kieran[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Keegan[/name]
[name]Greyson[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Easton[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Cruz[/name]
[name]Justice[/name]
[name]Ezekiel[/name]
[name]Phoenix[/name]
[name]West[/name]

[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Seamus[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Kieran[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Keegan[/name]
[name]Greyson[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Easton[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Cruz[/name]
[name]Justice[/name]
[name]Ezekiel[/name]
[name]Phoenix[/name]
[name]West[/name]

Let me say that I love [name]Kai[/name]. I can’t use it myself because it is my best friends’ brothers’ name. I know a little [name]Dash[/name] myself but he’s simply [name]Dash[/name], not [name]Dashiell[/name]. [name]Dashiell[/name] is very handsome, to me. I can’t imagine how someone would misspell it but I’m sure they will. I think everyone gets their names misspelled at least once in their lives. People can’t spell [name]Alexandra[/name] and I thought that was a pretty typical name. The important people, your family and close friends, will all know or learn to spell and pronounce it.

[name]Maddox[/name] is cool but definitely closely associated with Brangelina. No one had heard this name before their son was adopted. If [name]Kai[/name] had an X in it, I think they would have it on their Master Name List.

Names I think go well with [name]Kai[/name]:
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Ash[/name] [name]Harrison[/name] (similar to [name]Dash[/name] and everyone can spell it)
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Jules[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Teo[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] [name]Harrison[/name] (So handsome; “My” [name]Dash[/name]'s brother is named [name]Leo[/name])
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Max[/name] [name]Harrison[/name] (A toned down [name]Maddox[/name])
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Ezra[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Nico[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Bodhi[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Beau[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Milo[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Seth[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Reid[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Elliott[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Elias[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kai[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]

alexandramae I love your list and I believe a shortish name would be a better match with [name]Kai[/name].

In particular I like [name]Ash[/name] and [name]Reid[/name].

Thank you so much for your great list! Unfortunately several of those have to be crossed off due to relatives and friends ([name]Max[/name], [name]Nico[/name], [name]Beau[/name], [name]Seth[/name]) I do like [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Elias[/name], but I’ve suggested those to DH in the past, and they were no-gos :cry:

Boy names are so hard for us!

I first heard [name]Dashiell[/name] on Disney’s Mr Incredible movie. I don’t think people will have a hard time pronouncing it. Then again, my daughter is [name]Phoebe[/name], and she’s been called FO-[name]BEE[/name] before. What??? Anything is possible! lol
I like the name [name]Maddox[/name], but I understand your hesitancy on using a celebrity baby name, it’s hard to get over that!

Here are some other suggestions:

Adler [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Lance[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Chance[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Reid[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Brandt[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Arbor[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Zephyr[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Blaise[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Corban[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Ryder[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Jett[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Asa[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]

I love [name]Chance[/name]. [name]Kai[/name] & [name]Chance[/name]. [name]Love[/name] it. I’ve brought it up several times to DH, and he always says no. I guess he doesn’t think it will “grow” with him- he can’t imagine a 50 year old [name]Chance[/name]. What do you guys think?

I agree about the [name]Chance[/name] thing. Although its a cute name, i can’t see it on a 50 year old business man. I saw on your list of names that you were once insterested in that you had [name]Greyson[/name] and [name]Easton[/name]. I love those names but agree that they don’t go amazingly with [name]Kai[/name]. However, what if you tone them down to [name]Gray[/name] and [name]East[/name]. [name]Both[/name] [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Gray[/name], or [name]Kai[/name] and [name]East[/name] sound superb!
[name]Brooks[/name] is another name you might be interested in, as it means Water (same sort of meaning as [name]Kai[/name]). But then again you said you were from New [name]York[/name] right? So the [name]Brooklyn[/name] connotation might be too much. Another option could be [name]Lake[/name] (might be a little to literal) bit [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Lake[/name] sound really cool together, and is really similar to [name]Luke[/name] which you crossed off your list (I assume due to popularity). [name]Seaton[/name]/Seton means “town by the sea” which is cool. [name]Delmar[/name] also means “of the sea”, and for some reason i can really see [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Del[/name] as brothers!
The name [name]Felix[/name] also seems kinda cool with big brother [name]Kai[/name].
So to put them all together, the names i think go well with [name]Kai[/name] are:
[name]Gray[/name]/[name]Grey[/name]
[name]East[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name]
[name]Lake[/name]
[name]Seaton[/name]/Seton
[name]Delmar[/name] “[name]Del[/name]”
[name]Felix[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

I agree about the [name]Chance[/name] thing. Although its a cute name, i can’t see it on a 50 year old business man. I saw on your list of names that you were once insterested in that you had [name]Greyson[/name] and [name]Easton[/name]. I love those names but agree that they don’t go amazingly with [name]Kai[/name]. However, what if you tone them down to [name]Gray[/name] and [name]East[/name]. [name]Both[/name] [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Gray[/name], or [name]Kai[/name] and [name]East[/name] sound superb!
[name]Brooks[/name] is another name you might be interested in, as it means Water (same sort of meaning as [name]Kai[/name]). But then again you said you were from New [name]York[/name] right? So the [name]Brooklyn[/name] connotation might be too much. Another option could be [name]Lake[/name] (might be a little to literal) bit [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Lake[/name] sound really cool together, and is really similar to [name]Luke[/name] which you crossed off your list (I assume due to popularity). [name]Seaton[/name]/Seton means “town by the sea” which is cool. [name]Delmar[/name] also means “of the sea”, and for some reason i can really see [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Del[/name] as brothers!
The name [name]Felix[/name] also seems kinda cool with big brother [name]Kai[/name].
So to put them all together, the names i think go well with [name]Kai[/name] are:
[name]Gray[/name]/[name]Grey[/name]
[name]East[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name]
[name]Lake[/name]
[name]Seaton[/name]/Seton
[name]Delmar[/name] “[name]Del[/name]”
[name]Felix[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

I love [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Dash[/name] together. What about [name]Mannix[/name]? It is similar to [name]Maddox[/name] without the [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name] reference.

Others:
[name]Dexter[/name] “[name]Dex[/name]”
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name]
Truett
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Quillan[/name]
[name]Blaise[/name]

I’ve never met a child named [name]Chance[/name], however I do know two men with the name…so to me it seems to age well. I think it’s handsome and goes great with [name]Kai[/name]! [name]Just[/name] my opinion though!

Thank you everyone! Been playing around with [name]Chance[/name] for the last week…it seems to fit, but I’m not 100% yet. I want to be 100%!!

Any other suggestions?

We are in excatly the same situation. Our first son is called [name]Kai[/name] and we know we are having another boy in Nov. We can’t say we really love any boys names but here are some of the ones l have been thinking about if any good

[name]Felix[/name] (but no one seems to like it as it reminds them of a cat)
[name]Lucas[/name] (this is also kai’s middle name and my hb is called [name]Luke[/name] so is it too much?)
[name]Jenson[/name]
[name]Ollie[/name] (my close friend’s son is called [name]Oliver[/name] and don’t know if she would mind us using it)
[name]Brodie[/name]
[name]Rudi[/name] (i keep changing my mind on this)
[name]Alex[/name]

What’s people’s thoughts??