It's a boy! Osiris _____ James?

See the results of this poll: Which one(s) do you prefer

Respondents: 69 (This poll is closed)

• Osiris Mercury James : 17 (19%)
  • Osiris James Fox : 21 (24%)
  • Osiris Peregrine James : 26 (29%)
  • Osiris James Rowan/Rohan/Ronan : 12 (13%)
  • Osiris Atlas James: 13 (15%)

I voted [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]. Good flow–and while it has the same rhythm as [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]Mercury[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u], I prefer [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]'s old-fashioned charm.

[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Fox[/name_m]. It just sounds so cool! And I think you need short, simple middles to balance out [name_m]Osiris[/name_m].

I think it’s a great option but if you want further suggestions:
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Rune[/name_m]
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] Fen
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]

Thanks for the input so far!

[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]Mercury[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Fox[/name_m] and [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] are my faves too, nice to see some positive feedback on those three!

Almost 40 views & only 5 people voted? Lol NB is so weird sometimes.

[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]Mercury[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] is so fantastic!

[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is my favorite. :slight_smile: I also like [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Rowan[/name_u].

Rabdom question, would you associate the middles [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Fox[/name_m] with actor [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] [name_m]Fox[/name_m]?

I did think of [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] Foxx when I saw [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Fox[/name_m].

My favorites are definitely [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Fox[/name_m] and [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] {though I prefer the latter - I love [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] with your girls’ names}. Also, I didn’t think of [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] Foxx when I saw [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Fox[/name_m], and it isn’t too obvious in my opinion. Loving [name_m]Osiris[/name_m], by the way.

I think that the reason that people didn’t vote as much is

1. [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] is the Egyptian god of the dead Ancient Egypt: the Mythology - Osiris I’m not being all don’t do it, just pointing it out as a likely reason you didn’t get so many votes, its not something that gets much if any use, the connection for people could be a but consuming. For me at least, as far as what I’ve studied in regard to ancient Egyptian culture & mythology it is a very strong connection. And some people may dislike it because of that.
  2. Some of the combinations are a bit much. [name_u]James[/name_u] & fox end with a strong s/x sound and [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] ends with a very strong s that’s following a second syllable beginning with a strong s. It makes the flow more choppy that some people like, not bad just less comfortable. Also single syllable names next to each other and coupled with a very long last or first name can cause the name to feel abrupt.
  3. [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] and peregrine are quite different from eachother but moreso very different from most of your other choices. [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] & [name_u]James[/name_u] for example are fairly common place and culturally the choices are all over the board. Not that there’s anything wrong with that just that when I look at your list I am having a hard time looking at one and thinking i would choose it over the others…

[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] mercury [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] fox
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] perigrine [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] atlas [name_u]James[/name_u]
To me it looks like you’re set on [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] and I think you might be set on [name_u]James[/name_u], it appears in many of your option. But I agree in using janes you need to have a name between them that does not end in s or x. I would not use
[name_u]Mercury[/name_u] - mixing mythology very prominently and also the planet & element it feels heavy
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m] - again mixing mythology and also again an atlas is a thing, so its again heavy… [name_m]Little[/name_m] bit if a pun intended, also too much -s its just a lot
[name_m]Fox[/name_m] I think just doesn’t feel right with [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] and it might be because I already think of dog people and things when I think of [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] so its a lot. - and the -x is much with the -s
That leaves
[name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] which I like. It falls between different and nature name. If it were me I would use
[name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] ___
But
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]
Does work well and you don’t have stacked suffix sounds like that
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and variants I just see in such a different way. Its fairly common and has that -an suffix that’s so popular. I think its just too different from your other choices… That said I would use
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Osiris[/name_m]
Because I think it flows comfortably and I think [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] feels out of place as a middle with such a strong first.
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] as a name though the rundown is you get lots of possible nns si or oz both work. It has a lot of very modern popular sounds - a ending and si in the middle. I get the appeal from that stand point. All in all there’s a lot to choose from with these options and its kinda tough to see around them. If your other children have nature names that helps me really like peregrine for you. I love nature names for boys espescially & We use double middles so obviously I find your post very interesting and intriguing. I can’t wait to see what you choose :slight_smile: congrats

Thanks for the input so far everyone!

OK let’s go a little deeper here.

We both really like [name_m]Osiris[/name_m]. It has the right sound and feel and intensity that keeps up with Azula & [name_f]Indira[/name_f]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though he is a major deity I dont find it to be overly intense. Am I crazy? Keep in mind… we did name our daughter Azula (which we heard in a Nickelodeon cartoon when we were dating, that was from what I’ve read, made up for the TV show and which we haven’t heard anywhere else) so our style is definitely eccentric. I have vetoed [name_m]Odin[/name_m], [name_m]Thor[/name_m] and [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] which my husband LOVES but which are omg just way too much. He also likes [name_u]Mercury[/name_u] as a FN but I like it more as a middle. He also likes Ender and [name_u]Rohan[/name_u] as first names but I’M not crazy about those two. I honestly think that of all the names he is OK with, [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] is our best choice. We are pretty set on it, it took a while for us to agree, but we are both happy with it.

I really like nature names and my husband really loves honour names. We got lucky with our daughters middles since they pull double -duty, [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] honoring [name_f]Rose[/name_f]/[name_f]Mary[/name_f] & [name_f]Coral[/name_f] honoring [name_u]Corey[/name_u]/[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]/[name_m]Cornelis[/name_m].

The people we would like to honour are special family members. My guy really wants to use [name_u]James[/name_u] which is for sure my least favourite of the lot but I’ll go along with it because it is important to him.

DH doesn’t love [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]. But I think that because I’m letting him use [name_u]James[/name_u] (Argh) that I can get my pippin in there if I want to!

We both really like [name_u]Mercury[/name_u]. More for the planet & element than for the god (it feels SO naturey) but I like the fleet footed meaning because this guy has been very active in the womb and I felt movement really early. I guess maybe two god names is a bit overkill but since they are from different mythos do you think that balances it out? Or that Mercury also means a planet and an element, does that take some of the Mythological Intensity out?

We like [name_m]Fox[/name_m]. I think it’s sexy and cool and maybe it’s too trendy? But it’s a nod to my husband’s totally endearing obsession with aliens, with the x files connection.

I don’t think [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] is perfect anymore (it used to be our #1 FN until my brother named his baby Alex) but I threw it in the mix fir the sake of the poll.

And my husband loves [name_u]Rohan[/name_u] (LOTR love), and likes [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], and for some reason dislikes [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]. I have no idea. I guess they are alright paired with [name_u]James[/name_u] though because the initials then would honour another family member. I don’t usually love any ends-in-n names with our last name but I don’t have a problem with them hiding in the middle.

He’s nixed lots of my nature names - Jade, Oak, Cedar, Crane, Mars, Orion, Jasper, Heath, Heathcliff, Moss, Sage, Caspian, Jupiter
And lots of my firsts - Evander, Ozias, Darwin, Crusoe, Orson, Rudyard

Both our kids already have mythology / goddess related names - Rosemary being connected to the mother of Christ (said to have laid her robe on a white-flowering rosemary shrub and after that the flowers were blue) and Indira being another name for the goddess Lakshmi. Our choice for a girl this time would have been Freyja Moon (as in, the major Norse goddess). And DH’s runner up was Athena (which I liked too but ultimately decided was too similar to Azula). Not that I’m obsessed with using god names exactly, but it’s fun for us to have those extra connections between the kids, and a throwback to our love of mythology.

EDITED TO ADD:
Osiris is the god of the dead, yes, but when you read more into his character he is more the god of life beyond death, he is the god of new beginnings and rebirth and springtime. He is one with the spirit, and with the Nile (the life source of Egypt), he died and was resurrected. He’s usually depicted as an all-seeing eye, or as a green or skinned person - not as a dog person like some pp’s have mentioned, they are confusing him with Anubis, the god of the underworld. Osiris is kinda perfect for an Easter baby in my opinion, although I agree it is probably edgier than most people are comfortable with. I honestly just don’t get why names like Freyja, Phaedra, Athena, Helen, Hera, Juno, Penelope, Selene, Atlas, Finn, Jason, Hector are all considered acceptable but other mythological names that are used less often are too much. I kind of understand in some regards, I vetoed Apollo for being too center-of-the-universe and axed Thor and Odin for being too pop-culture recognizable at the moment. I’d totally consider Artemis &, Venus if not for other asspciations with those names. I dont think I’d use Zeus or anything for the same reasons as Apollo but otherwise its just weird to me that socially we have picked and chosen what names are ok and what are ‘over the top’.

Our surname starts with a silent H. Hn____k. 3 syllables.

Any more input or suggestions?

[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Fox[/name_m] is an amazing combo! Fave!

You’re not crazy :wink: but it is a tough name because its one that has a single strong connection and its the kind of connection that likely every teacher he ever has will say ‘oh like…’ And possibly ask if his parents work in Egyptian study’s or are they archeologists or is there a story behind it. Because its like [name_m]Elvis[/name_m] and [name_f]Madonna[/name_f] a bit if that makes sense… I would say it is a name and its kind of a cool name but it is not quite on the same level as your daughters names because its the name of one thing if that makes sense? Its not crazy to love it or want to use it but it doesn’t come without the association that it has because its not attatched to much if anything else. [name_u]Mercury[/name_u] however does have a lot of connections and I can see that as a little more comfortable… And [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] could be a great middle for mercury. Also my husband mentioned Ender, havelock and a couple others… I did veto them eventually but [name_m]Havelock[/name_m] took me a bit, its pretty cool just too rhymy with a name I’m pushing for. I think he just vetoed fox off my list … I too might be kinda a super nerd… Maybe just a little. If he wants fox, [name_m]William[/name_m] is also a good option there or does he have any other fandoms? [name_m]Fox[/name_m] is cool on its own though. I think what I’m trying to say is this. I wanted to use [name_u]Sequoia[/name_u]. My husband looked at me like I was crazy and said ‘that’s a tree, I’ve seem those… They’re trees, in like the western United States… They’re big trees’ and he just kept staring at me and he suggested the name of a character from something… We just sat there and I realized to me yea its a tree and a really cool name, you don’t hear it often but people wear it and its the kind of name a child of ours would wear [name_u]Sequoia[/name_u] [name_m]Fox[/name_m]… Would fit right in… But to him its a tree like a toaster is a toaster and a porch is a porch and the moon is the moon its just not a name and as far as he was concerned I was suggesting porch. And to me I don’t think we need to name him The name of a character I don’t know just because his father feels connected to that or a character from a book he loves…, because its not anything to me but a name I’ve heard from that thing or played in a game and so I get why he doesn’t like fox and I have to pass on [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] because there aren’t a lot of others carrying those names and when I look at them that’s it… So I get it… That’s what [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] looks like to me… Like something really specific that could be a cool name as long as it means enough that he has an answer for every adult he meets, children shouldn’t be an issue till highschool and then only if he’s being picked on and he might not face that. Naming is hard you know, I can’t even get my husband to talk about it currently so I think it sounds like you are a team in this and that’s great! Honestly I would sit down and practice saying each name and just picture him as a baby, a boy, a man and I would consider that likely [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] will shorted to [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] whether you’d like it to or not so say that as well. And if you’ve got what you love just love it cause like I said everyone is different and everyone has names that are strongly linked to things that they love for what they are and other people just won’t always agree because of the nature of the names connection and that just has to be ok if it matters enough :slight_smile: happy naming

I love your style – Azula and [name_f]Indira[/name_f] are gorgeous, strong, unique names! I’m going to be another voice to caution you against [name_m]Osiris[/name_m], though.

Even though he is a major deity I dont find it to be overly intense. Am I crazy?
Honestly, yes. It is crazy to name your Canadian child after the Egyptian god of the dead. That is the one and only association people will make with [name_m]Osiris[/name_m]. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t do it!

If you like the sound and the eccentricity, what about: [name_f]Cypress[/name_f], [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_m]Orlando[/name_m], [name_m]Ozias[/name_m], [name_m]Osian[/name_m]

Wow, Osiris! First of all, can I just ask how you pronounce it? I tried googling it, but apparently there are several ways and I’m not sure what the ‘natural’ way would be in English.

Anyways, my favourite combos are Osiris Mercury James and Osiris James Fox. The former one has the best flow in my opinion, while the latter one is more “safe” (though, with a name like Osiris, I guess you aren’t too worried about using obscure names!). I quite like Osiris as a name, and the god is a pretty cool namesake (at least from what I remember about him).

The only potential downside I can think of is that it might seem a bit “over the top” using the names of two gods in one name, but I honestly think most people will connect Mercury with the element. And as a chemist, I have to admit that Mercury sounds really badass… I might have to steal it!

Osiris James Fox is also nice, but I probably should’ve written about it first because I now find it lacking next to Osiris Mercury James :stuck_out_tongue: I’m excited to see what you end up choosing!

Edit: I see now that you also asked for suggestions and I just wanted to mention that Osiris reminds me a bit of Sirius, though I think Osiris is better. Hehe.

@missasolemnis thanks!!

@dinosaursroar yeah its hard for us because we both like really unusual, off the radar type names. And not always the same style, so it’s hard when we finally find one we BOTH really like, to stay rational and be like yes this is the right choice for us even thougb people may not all like it but that is just because our style/preference/comfort zone is different - or be like, no sadly this really isn’t a great choice because people seem to hate it for a really good reason we haven’t thought about. We want to stay true to what we love, but we also don’t want to straddle our kids with impossible names (sorry honey, Drakon Leviathan is off the list). We also want to be fair to each other so we end up with a name we both love when this process is done. Our husbands sound similar. Anything from a video game, amirite? Lol we talked about Zelda too. I think DH even mentioned Zivilyn at one point, a random one-time character from Skies of Arcadia. Side note: Azula is one of those Elvis type names, since there is only one namesake. And I would totally use Charlize if I could find the right combo for it, and that’s another of those. Haha.

@applestokiwanos thanks for the candid reply! I appreciate your perspective. It’s similar to the responses we got when we chose Indira actually. Like some of your suggestions too, so thanks! Osiris is the god of the dead, yes, but when you read more into his character he is more the god of life beyond death, kind of the god of new beginnings and rebirth. He’s usually depicted as an all-seeing eye, or as a green or blue skinned person - not as a dog person like some pp’s have mentioned, I think they are confusing him with Anubis, the god of the underworld. Osiris is kinda perfect for an Easter baby in my opinion, although I agree it is probably edgier than most people are comfortable with. I honestly just don’t get why names like Freyja, Phaedra, Athena, Helen, Hera, Juno, Penelope, Selene, Atlas, Finn, Jason, Hector are all considered acceptable but other mythological names that are used less often are too much. I kind of understand in some regards, I vetoed Apollo for being too center-of-the-universe and axed Thor and Odin for being too pop-culture recognizable at the moment. I’d totally consider Artemis &, Venus if not for other asspciations with those names. I dont think I’d use Zeus or anything for the same reasons as Apollo but otherwise its just weird to me that socially we have picked and chosen what names are ok and what are ‘over the top’.
Also we live in greater Vancouver which is kinda like the Portland of Canada, so NB style names are not at all unheard of. I met a little Strider last Summer and know of twins named Odin and Isis. A bunch of our friends have chosen some fairly unusual names for their kids including Estelle, Sebastian, Zenya, Nicoda, Everett, TWO kids named Aryan, a little Olive and Kalyaani. My nephews on hubby’s side are Tyson and Dayton and we have younguns Cadence and Aurielle in the family as well. We’re also in a very multicultural community, where obviously there would be kids with ALL SORTS of names around here So it’s not like every other kid around here is named Lily or Jack or whatever’s safe/popular every where. Maybe we just have weird friends. Maybe that’s why our comfort zone is wider, it’d probably be different if we were from a more conservative community.

@daphodil I’ve read some pronounciations to be Oh-see-rees but we would be pronouncing it Oh-sy-rus. Sy like sigh. I think that’s how most people in Canada would pronounce it upon reading it, and I think it sounds stronger. And I’m pretty sure that’s how I learned it in elementary school when we first learned about Egypt. I don’t remember ever studying it in highschool. As far as the middles go I guess Fox would be the safer of the two, but I think that’s just because animal names are trendy right now - I think over time Fox and Mercury would probably be more or less on the same level. I think Fox has a cool sound but Mercury as an element and a planet feels like it fits more solidly into our sibset. And Mercury is my husband’s preference and truly seems to jive with this busy baby.

Sigh. Not sure what to do.

[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]Mercury[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] is sheer perfection

Congratulations!
I think [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]Mercury[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] is fantastic, so he certainly got my vote. I then read the new information on page three, and it only solidified that choice for me. [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] [name_u]Mercury[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] seems perfect for you!

Quite the connundrum… These boys do sound similar :wink: honestly I think mercury has a very strong ring to it as a first name. I would just say the names out loud a lot, picture him in kindergarden and the teacher calls out the names and picture him. If your girls are interested see if they’ll say the names. It helps a lot. Talk to him. He’s the one who will carry the name through life and for you its just this moment you fill out the paper and any feed back you recieve for the first decade or so when you answer for him and hold his hand. I would think mercury would get a lot of very interested smiling reactions and you seem like you’ve got a cool answer for the why. [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] is heavier and will get a more somber question and you all may tire of saying no not like that at all just we like it :wink: like in the movie [name_f]Juno[/name_f] where [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] page says no when they ask her about her name because the reason she was named that was not the one they asked and clearly she’s done discussing it. I get the yay we both like it let’s engrave it in something though… That really makes it a connundrum