It's a Girl. Beatrice? Vivian? Eleanor? Help!

We’re having a baby girl! This is our first child and we’re thrilled.

Here are the names we’re considering:

[name]Beatrice[/name] - Probably my favorite. DH likes it too. Our last name starts with B. Normally I’m not a huge fan of alliteration, but in this case, I really do like it.

[name]Vivian[/name] - My very close second favorite. DH is on board, but doesn’t like it as much as [name]Beatrice[/name]. I’m not a fan of the “French” spelling. I know this is a boy’s name in some locations, but here in the U.S. it’s definitely “girl.”

[name]Eleanor[/name] - DH’s favorite. I like it, but wonder if it’s too heavy. I am not a huge fan of nicknames. My given name is long and formal and I am known to all of my friends as a shortened form of the name. I worry we’d end up calling the little one [name]Ellie[/name], which is not my favorite.

Middle names are all over the board. We have a long last name similar to [name]Bartholomew[/name], so I’d like to keep the middle name relatively short. But it doesn’t HAVE to be one syllable! [name]Wren[/name]? [name]Iris[/name]? [name]Ayelet[/name]? [name]Lila[/name]? [name]Hazel[/name]?

Examples: [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Wren[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name], [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Iris[/name] [name]Bartholomew[/name]…

Would love some feedback on the 3 names.

Also please suggest pretty middle names because I am having a hard time with those!

Can’t wait to read your suggestions! Hooray!

[name]Beatrice[/name] - I like [name]Beatrice[/name], but it doesn’t wow me like your other two choices. I also understand your hesitation with having her fn begin in the same letter as your ln. She might end up being called BB.

[name]Vivian[/name] - Definitely wouldn’t think boy with [name]Vivian[/name]. I really like [name]Vivian[/name]. I think it’s a lovely choice. [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Lila[/name] is pretty but I think [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Lily[/name] would be a little lighter. I’ve been really loving [name]Faye[/name] for a middle name. [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Faye[/name] would be a nice choice!

[name]Eleanor[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it! This is also on my list, but its mostly because I love the nn [name]Nora[/name]. I’ve been considering mn like [name]Lyra[/name], [name]Alice[/name], and [name]Sophie[/name] with [name]Eleanor[/name]. I don’t know if any of those strike your fancy?

You have a great list here! If you really love [name]Beatrice[/name], I say go for it. Otherwise, I don’t think you can go wrong with [name]Vivian[/name] or [name]Eleanor[/name].

I used to not like [name]Beatrice[/name] at all. But the more I’ve thought about it, and let it roll around in my head (it’s on my list for a middle name), the more I don’t know why I didn’t like it. …I’ve come to love [name]Beatrice[/name]! It sounds elegant, classic, cute on a little girl, and intelligent on a young woman… And best of all, it’s got a couple of really fun nicknames: [name]Bea[/name] (sounds like [name]Bee[/name]), and [name]Trixie[/name].

I’ve known so many people with the same initials for first and last names, including my dad and nephew. It almost always sounds polished, I think. I’ve never known any of them to be called by those initials either, as pp suggested. I’m sure it could happen, but it’s never been my experience.

For middle names, because [name]Beatrice[/name] is a little more traditional, I’d be inclined to go with a more ‘fun’ middle name.

[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Wren[/name] (great idea)
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Lila[/name] (also love this one)
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Elle[/name] (to satisfy DH’s love of [name]Eleanor[/name], maybe)
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Meadow[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Nova[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Willow[/name] (my daughter’s name)
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Lola[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Autumn[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Plum[/name] (it’s a guilty pleasure…I know it’s not the most usable, but I still love it!)

[name]Alli[/name] :smiley:

Of the three…I [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] and love the nn [name]Bea[/name]. I have been hearing a LOT of Eleanors lately and I think the nn [name]Ellie[/name] is often associated with it. Not my favorite. The nn [name]Nora[/name] is sweet but I’ve been hearing that quite a bit in our area as a given name.

Not sure why, but [name]Vivian[/name] isn’t a favorite of mine. I want to like it…just don’t love the “viv” sound and makes me think of my parent’s generation. I’m probably in the minority and if I ever meet a sweet little [name]Vivian[/name]…I’m very likely to warm quickly to it. :wink:

[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Wren[/name] is GORGEOUS. [name]Love[/name] [name]Wren[/name].

[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]June[/name]

[name]Beatrice[/name] Fluer

love [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Wren[/name]…love the alliteration with your last name too.
[name]Bea[/name] is such a sweet nickname…
Also [name]Trixie[/name] is cute too.
good luck!

I like [name]Beatrice[/name] the best too but the double B is a little much for me. It all depends on personal preference. [name]Vivian[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] are both great ut they have a totally different feel so I can see why it’s hard to compromise.

Names that are simmilar to me in feel to [name]Beatrice[/name] are
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] --> I think [name]Matilda[/name] is the best alternative of the bunch
[name]Gemma[/name]

Of [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Vivian[/name] I like [name]Eleanor[/name]. I agree the middle name should be a bit lighter, but I don’t think it necessarily needs to be short.

[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Promise[/name] is a nice alternate if [name]Grace[/name] is too common, but I think [name]Grace[/name] is soft and pretty)
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Iris[/name] (great idea!)
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Lisette[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Juliett[/name]