It's two babies, not one...

Three days ago I went to the doctors for my scan and our suspisions of me not expecting one, but two babies came to be a reality. So now, I’m suddenly facing the very overwhelming fact that I’ll be a mommy to not three children as I had always planned, but four… I’m finding it quite hard to grasp. Hopefully thinking of names will help me grow more used to the idea.

The three names that had stuck with me already were [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]… I really can’t seem to decide between the three.

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] feels colorful, bright, happy, quirky and artsy the way I tend to love names. I love the prospect of having a Pheebs or a [name_f]Bibi[/name_f]. And to be honest, the character from Friends has always been my absolute favorite, so I honestly don’t mind that connection.

[name_f]Edith[/name_f] on the otherhand is a beautiful and solid vintage name. It’s perfect with my sibset and it is also a nod to the amazing singer [name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Piaf[/name_f], whom I adore. It also lends to the adorable [name_f]Edie[/name_f]… But my mom seems to think that it would make my sibset look too Jewish, when clearly I’m not… I’m not sure what to think of that.

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] is a name that to be honest I used to hate, but that grew on me so intensily it’s unbelievable. I love how quirky and utterly grandma-ish it is. I love that Z sounds that gives it a sort of, pizazz? [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] is also a wonderful namesake straight out of the roaring twenties.

I was hoping that you berries could suggest me some more quirky/artsy names that aren’t too long, that could fit well with 1ra and An0uk.

Longer and more rare suggestions of middle names, preferably having to do with nature are also welcome! In the meantime, I’ll be here continuing to raid the lists, forums and behindthename for anything new that might fit.

Top of my head for [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] & [name_f]Edith[/name_f] (I don’t really like [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]):

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Viveca[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Hyacinth[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Fiorella[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Florentia[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Quinta[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_u]Windsor[/name_u]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Raina[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Araminta[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Madrigal[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Amabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_u]Hollis[/name_u]

[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Kerensa[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Leocadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Elocadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvania[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Crescent[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Iona[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Leonie[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Elodia[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Zephyrine[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Ixora[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Alouette[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Amandine[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Oriole[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Margalo[/name_f]

Congratulations on twins! That’s very exciting, but I can also understand how it can be overwhelming. I really like your top choices, and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] really stood out to me. [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] echoes the same sassy mystique and whimsical energy as [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]. They would make stunning sisters. Best of luck!

I love [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f]!! (not crazy about [name_f]Zelda[/name_f])

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Levinia[/name_f] [name_u]Cedar[/name_u]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Lark[/name_f]

or

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f] [name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]

or

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

I think you’re a troll.

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] is a wonderful namesake? The same [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] who was married to F. [name_m]Scott[/name_m] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m], who happened to be the muse behind [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] and [name_f]Gloria[/name_f] in The Beautiful and the Damned? The one rumoured to have had an abortion in 1922 to ‘preserve her figure’? Hmmm, not sure I agree with you there.

Your story’s growing at an immensely fast rate, and I’m almost having a hard time believing you at all. Actually, it rather echoes a previous user on the site, one who’s name I will not mention (think Voldemort - they who must not be named and all that jazz).

If you are telling the truth, [name_f]Edith[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] are delightful, and I think the comment about your sibling set ‘looking Jewish’ is highly offensive, and I’m not even Jewish.

I’m presuming you’d like a 1920’s connection, and I don’t blame you at all, I’m very much in love with the 1920s myself. For a positive twenties namesake, I’d suggest:

[name_f]Louise[/name_f] [name_m]Brooks[/name_m]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_m]Bow[/name_m]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Pickford[/name_m] (A little late, she’s more 1910s, but still an amazing talent)
[name_f]Bessie[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] Erdele
[name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_m]Wills[/name_m]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_f]Zora[/name_f] [name_u]Neale[/name_u] Hurston
[name_f]Edna[/name_f] St. [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] [name_f]Millay[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] O’[name_m]Keefe[/name_m]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Garbo[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_m]Paul[/name_m]
[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] “[name_f]Coco[/name_f]” [name_f]Chanel[/name_f]
[name_f]Gloria[/name_f] Swanson
[name_u]Joan[/name_u] [name_m]Crawford[/name_m]
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] Bankhead (not fully positive, but the same vibe as [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m])
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Gish[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_f]Gish[/name_f]
[name_f]Fanny[/name_f] “[name_u]Bobbie[/name_u]” Rosenfeld

I’m not a troll, I’m just here trying to find the right names for my kids and to share ideas with other name lovers.

As for the part of my children’s names sounding Jewish, I didn’t mean for it to be offensive. I was basically echoing my mother’s opinions. My worry lies not exactly on the names being too Jewish, but on whether the use of them could be considered cultural appropriation or not. It would be the same if for instance I would be considering a name of say, Polynesian or [name_f]Indian[/name_f] roots that don’t exactly have much to do with my heritage and own culture.

As for [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] being a good namesake or not, I’ll be honest with you, that i had never before heard that she had sought an abortion or any of that. I always just pictured her as a troubled artistic soul who was brought up to be the perfect trophy wife (and who didn’t exactly live up to that) and who lived her life always in the shadow of her husband… I don’t know if that can be considered bad or good, I guess I would say it’s just life. Women still go through that sort of thing today.

Thank you for your name suggestions, by the way!

Cultural appropriation? Your sibset is far from that.
Unless you’re naming your kids [name_m]Cohen[/name_m], [name_m]Mohammed[/name_m], Ghandi, Yahweh, and Kimono, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
Cultural exchange is a beautiful thing especially when it comes to names.
Besides, none of the names you have listed have ANY Jewish ties or origins, except for [name_u]Ira[/name_u], which is incredibly obscure.
I wonder why your mother even imagined there would be any connotation.

I meant that your mother’s opinion/comment was offensive, really. I don’t believe that Cultural Appropriation is a feasible concept to be honest, after doing extensive research, and [name_f]Edith[/name_f] is an old English name with no ties to the Jewish religion in the etymology or origin, so the whole Jewish comment would backfire right there.

As a literature nerd, I have read somewhat extensively about the Fitzgeralds, and yes, she /was/ raised to be a trophy wife, as were most women born at the turn of the century - 1935ish, but as far as living in her husband’s shadow, she refused to marry him until he became famous, and she suffered from Schizophrenia, and she became obsessed with the notion of being better than her husband because her wealth decreased (she was born into a well-known, financially ‘well off’ family) and his increased, and she became jealous. It was never outright said, but since F. [name_m]Scott[/name_m] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] made it known that he and his wife were the basis for The Beautiful and the Damned, and in the novel, the wife ([name_f]Gloria[/name_f]) aborts her child out of vanity, because she doesn’t want to lose her figure, and it is recorded that [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] was pregnant in 1922, with no miscarriage or birth of any kind reported - it’s safe to assume that she did the same. It is also known that [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] was a very vain, materialistic woman, and that when her husband first proposed, he was rejected and told to come back when his first novel was published. He did just that, and when he became successful, they were married the following month. Honestly, I don’t mean to be horrible towards you or anything, but I was truly stunned to read that you saw her as a positive role model and I was rather confused, having remembered what I learned about this…unique (?) woman last year. She was troubled, yes, but, it appears that a large amount of her troubles were brought upon herself. Neither [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] nor F. [name_m]Scott[/name_m] were terrific spouses, that is one known fact, but, I don’t suppose that’s stopped me from admiring the reality and meaning he puts into his works, so, I’m not sure where I stand with him.

Not a problem. If you want a more comprehensive list, I found quite a few with a Google search. I suggest trying that too.