It's weird, right?

So, my name is [name]Bella[/name] and I’ve recently developed a crush on [name]Esme[/name]. Is it too much to have a [name]Bella[/name] and an [name]Esme[/name] in the one family? [name]Do[/name] you think the association will always be there?

Yes it is too much. I have the same problem with the name [name]Phoebe[/name]. My name is [name]Chandler[/name] and with the show Friends there is no way I could ever use that name. Sometimes pop culture sucks.

Yes, I think its a little too much. People will think you are completely and utterly obsessed with Twilight. Which is a shame because [name]Esme[/name] is such a lovely name.

[name]Bree[/name]

I’ve never seen or read the Twilight series, so I had no idea about the association, but if others think it’s too much…

I know a mom named [name]Alice[/name], with two daughters, [name]Rosalie[/name] and [name]Bella[/name] (short for [name]Arabella[/name], though). She has two other daughters, [name]Liliana[/name] and Vasilie (I think? Not sure of spelling) to help set it off, but still, it’s a bit of Twilight overload! She really didn’t see the problem, though. I think [name]Rosalie[/name] was after family or something.

I think if people realized you changed your name to [name]Isabel[/name]/[name]Bella[/name], though, I think they’d be more wary of it. If it’s your birth name, you can’t really do much about that, you know? But if you changed your name to [name]Bella[/name], and then wanted to name your daughter [name]Esme[/name], I think people would think even more that you were obsessed with Twilight. I don’t think you are, haha, but I think that might be the thought process for some.

Yeah, I agree, your own name you can’t do much about so I wouldn’t worry much about, but if you changed it to what it is, that is odder.

I’ll add though you don’t specify at all when you’ll be having kids. If it’s down the road when some of the Twilight explosion has worn off, and maybe [name]Esme[/name] has become so much more popular that the association is weaker (?), then I don’t think it’s a problem. I don’t think this is something that will follow names forever.

No if you like it go for it. my name is [name]Sabrina[/name] and I’d use [name]Salem[/name].

I think it would be fine. [name]Esme[/name] is so pretty and adorable! By the time they get older Twilight will probably be irrelevant so I don’t think it’ll be a problem. :slight_smile:

Honestly, I think it’s seriously fine. If I met a little girl named [name]Esme[/name], I’d think it was really cute. If I realized her mom’s name was [name]Bella[/name]… honestly it might not even occur to me that there was a Twilight connection at first. (And I [name]LOVE[/name] Twilight. [name]Read[/name] all the books and seen all the movies.) Once I did realize it, I might chuckle and think it was ironic, but that’s all. I wouldn’t think it was weird or stupid.

Some people may not believe it, but the Twilight mania [name]WILL[/name] die down eventually. Right now, it’s kind of in the forefront of people’s minds because the movies keep coming out every year. But the last one is coming out this Thanksgiving, and in a few years it really will die down, I’m sure of it.

If you love [name]Esme[/name], don’t let Twilight deter you from using it. Now, if you wanted to also use [name]Carlisle[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Edward[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], and/or [name]Rosalie[/name]… then I’d be concerned. But using just [name]Esme[/name] when your name is [name]Bella[/name] is absolutely fine [name]IMO[/name]. :slight_smile: [name]Happy[/name] naming!

I think between a mother and daughter it wouldn’t be a big deal. I wouldn’t see a connection immediately unless it was pointed out. If it were between siblings though, that would be a different story!

I think it’s perfectly fine. This extreme aversion to “Twilight names” is silly. [name]Esme[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], etc were all names long before Twilight was around. If one positive thing can be said for [name]Stephenie[/name] [name]Meyer[/name]'s works, it’s that she used some great names for her characters. So why would you ever want to avoid all of the “Twilight names”?

I don’t get the obsession with avoiding old names like [name]Esme[/name], [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] simply because they’re in some teenage craze called “Twilight”. When I think of [name]Esme[/name], I think of [name]Scotland[/name] where the name has been long established. I think of English kings and a saint in the case of [name]Edward[/name]. [name]Jasper[/name] gives me a Bible connection with the Three Wise Men ([name]Caspar[/name]). Why let a trendy series that will soon run its course ruin perfectly acceptable names? A mother named [name]Bella[/name] and a daughter named [name]Esme[/name] would be fine.

If you REALLY love it, do it! But always know that it will be asked if you’re a huge Twilight fan…at least for a while until people forget about that whole saga.

I have not seen nor read Twilight, thus, I was not aware of the association. Nonetheless, I think [name]Esme[/name] is a lovely name. And the pair [name]Esme[/name] & [name]Bella[/name] is perfect!

I think it would be fine, honestly. The Twilight mania has already died down some- just like the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] mania did and the Hunger Games and 50 Shades will. I think the most you’ll have to deal with is a handful of people giving a little chuckle and saying, “Huh, like in Twilight!”, you giving a rueful smile and saying, “No, I always really loved the name” and that being it. I think the same will happen to people named [name]James[/name] or [name]Lily[/name] that have a [name]Harry[/name], or someone named [name]Anastasia[/name] dating someone named [name]Christian[/name]. Some people- but not everyone- will see the association, some of those people- but not all of them- will comment on it, but it won’t be a big deal.