IUD removal: A question

For those mums who had an IUD removed. Did you wait for a period first and then TTC? [name_u]Or[/name_u] did you concieve straight away and not wait?
Were you concerned that you wanted to give the uterus time to to thicken up beforehand or did that not worry you? Interested in hearing experiences… thanks !

1 Like

It wasn’t part of my plan to TTC anytime near my IUD removal, but I would have waited for 2 periods -

I had it removed in the middle of my cycle. I think my period was due a week or so later… But my period came a week late and my period is NEVER late. If I’d been trying the traditional way, I would have waited until I had a period that arrived on time.

1 Like

Thanks so I guess waiting 2 months then?

Yeah, but I suppose if my period had arrived on time, I probably would have felt comfortable trying right away!

My concern is I don’t know whether to wait until the uterus lining thickens and I get my period. ( Not having regular periods on the coil at the moment) ! So I don’t really have any idea of my cycle really ( have some vague idea) but yeah.

I haven’t done this, but my doctor says it takes a cycle or 2 to get back to normal. I would wait until you’ve gone through at least one normal cycle before trying just to be safe :slight_smile:

1 Like

We were told to skip a cycle and then start TTC, which I followed. This was mostly to allow for accurate cycle tracking, as many users bleed lightly for a few days after removal and its not always clear if that is simply a normal part of the hormonal shifts or if it is a period. It might also depend on how long you’ve had your IUD in and whether or not it was a hormonal or non-hormonal. Anecdotally, I know that if you were using a copper/non-hormonal IUD then you usually don’t have to wait a cycle.

If this is your first IUD being removed and then trying to TTC, know that it can take up to six months for a regular cycle to return. Again, this delay is more common with hormonal IUDs.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. This is my first IUD a [name_f]Kyleena[/name_f] coil with 19.5 of hormone. I am getting it removed next month, I would have had it in for just under 2 years. I didn’t want the [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] as it seemed to bigger dose. I have got two boys already. They were both conceived first cycle of trying but I wasn’t on any contraception back then.

Following. As soon as I’m recovered from surgery I’m hoping to have my [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] removed.

@anon25197097, I have read that there is no need to wait to TTC but of course talk to your doctor. I’m wondering about the thinning of the lining, too, since I’ve had mine for almost 2 years and have started to not have periods due to that lining having been finally thinned out. Maybe it depends on whether you’re currently having regular periods with your IUD.

1 Like

No periods here! And have had the [name_f]Kyleena[/name_f] just under 2 years when I get it removed. So that prompts me to worry about the uterus lining for sure.

I noticed I wasn’t having my period about a year after insertion?

Does this mean that we are gonna get an almighty period after it’s taken out :grimacing::pleading_face:.
I actually dislike not having a period too but I think the best idea is to wait for my first cycle. I did hear eating oily fish and vit E supplement is meant to help thicken uterus lining.

1 Like

@anon25197097, I doubt it’s going to be like when your cycle returns postpartum or anything crazy like that. [name_u]Or[/name_u] at least I hope it’s not!
And, darn—I’m not supposed to take fish oil or vitamin E right now because I’m about to have surgery. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] they work well for you.

Well, now I’m going to overthink this timing of the IUD removal even more. If it can easily be 6 months before my cycles return, I want it out ASAP after [name_f]Monday[/name_f]’s surgery! It’s a fairly major surgery so I may have at least a few months before my cycle would be coming back anyway…this is making me anxious that I’m just too old and it won’t happen. :sob:

I worked at an IUD clinic! It is 100% safe to try to get pregnant immediately after having IUD removed. Some will say to wait but that isn’t a safety thing, it is because it can be difficult to date your pregnancy, as your periods can be a bit irregular at first. You can always get an early ultrasound if you aren’t sure of your dates though, so not a big concern!
Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you for this info!
That’s reassuring.

@mill1020 aww I am sorry I don’t mean to cause any anxiety at all. [name_f]My[/name_f] timeline was having it removed in [name_u]August[/name_u] but given the fact that periods can take up to 6 months to return, plus the fact it would probably make sense to get into some form of cycle. I decided to get it removed much earlier. I think the right time is when you feel ready though (both mentally and physically)

1 Like