I've got 2 names each...but NOBODY likes either!

I have always wanted my kids to have weird, yet kinda cool names. I have no clue what I am having, but I have always had a 2 boys names and 2 girls names. I have always wanted a girl, but her name one of the names is always changing. My boys have had the same 2 since high school.
The front runner for the girl is Jhonny Vyctorea (that’s [name]Johnnie[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]). That was my Big Momma’s name and it has just stuck since I was a child. It’s cool and unique for a baby born in 2010, well at least I think so. The 2cd one came to me in the shower, Kaitiya Nechol. It just sounds nice on the tongue.
For my lil prince I have always wanted a strong name so I chose [name]Kal[/name]-[name]El[/name] Mykiel (that’s [name]Michael[/name]). I wanted that name BEFORE [name]Nicholas[/name] Cage choose it. I think that we should have used that instead of “Superman”. What a cool name for a superhero. The next one is just a classic and my mommy like it, [name]Krystofer[/name] [name]Jordyn[/name] (that’s [name]Krystofer[/name]). The [name]Jordyn[/name] is a tribute to my Mommy who passed 11yrs ago when I was 19.
Not a one person in my family likes any of those names. I love all 4 of them!! My friends are just so happy that I finally I am with child that they are giving me names! A few are cool but not as cool as the ones that I have chosen.

What do you guys think?!

I think the names are nice in and of themselves, the spellings may be what’s throwing people off.

I completely agree – your spellings are tortuous. [name]Do[/name] you have a good reason behind your spelling? If you have a reason (ex. "You were conceived on [name]Myrtle[/name] [name]Beach[/name] so we decided to spell your name Mykiel instead of [name]Michael[/name]) then OK.

But I don’t think there is anything unique about taking a very common name (like [name]Johnny[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Nicole[/name], [name]Michael[/name] or [name]Christopher[/name]) and simply spelling it differently for the sake of being different.

While I’ve seen Jhonny before, and know that Kristoph is a european spelling, the way you have them listed is just too much. But I like the names and your combinations.

TO be brutally honest, I don’t think you are being unique. It’s being annoying. Sorry.

Well First the names are not werid just the spelling
[name]Johnnie[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] is ok if spelled like that
the other way makes it look like you don’t know how to spell the names

My son that passed away was named [name]Kristofer[/name] [name]Blane[/name] which is a swedish spelling of [name]Christopher[/name]

Spell them correctly and then they’ll be nice names.

What I should have said is that I like weird names, but I wouldn’t do that so I was given them weird spellings.
Weird is Altoevise, Yrenia, Yaryee, Simonay, [name]Bryn[/name]. I like the look of weird spelling. I never once said [name]Unique[/name] in the whole post…I actually say that these names belong to other people or that it was a name that I or somebody else liked. There is no such thing as a unique name unless U make one up and I am not that creative. And actually nobody has seen them written, just me say them. This post is the first time I have written them out.
I appreciate you responding, but to be return the brutal honesty, do U go around spelling your name or just saying it?
I am however glad that you like the names.
Thanks!

Other people will also have to try to spell these names, and as they are audibly very common names, not weird, just spelled weird, this will happen a lot. Their names reflect on you, keep that in mind, that’s not always interesting in the positive way.

Yeah you did.

I have to agree with most people here. The normal spelling of [name]Johnnie[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] is much better than the other way. And still just as unusual. I actually like that name when spelled normally. Otherwise, it looks like you’re trying too hard to be trendy.
I think the boys name [name]Krystofer[/name] [name]Jordyn[/name] is fine, but you are definitley going to have many spelling problems by others, and you will constantly have to be telling people how to spell it. [name]May[/name] get annoying. But the name itself is nice. Maybe [name]Kristopher[/name] [name]Jordan[/name]?

What I should have said is that I like weird names, but I wouldn’t do that so I was given them weird spellings.
Weird is Altoevise, Yrenia, Yaryee, Simonay, [name]Bryn[/name]. I like the look of weird spelling. I never once said [name]Unique[/name] in the whole post…I actually say that these names belong to other people or that it was a name that I or somebody else liked. There is no such thing as a unique name unless U make one up and I am not that creative. And actually nobody has seen them written, just me say them. This post is the first time I have written them out.
I appreciate you responding, but to be return the brutal honesty, do U go around spelling your name or just saying it?
I am however glad that you like the names.
Thanks![/quote]

Firstly, I didn’t realise [name]Johnnie[/name] was a girl’s name?
Secondly, what is a “Big Momma”?
Now, the spellings … I am all for very unusual names, but following the trend of “yooneek” names is not unusual, nor individual. The names will always be spelled wrong, and I’m sorry to say that people will judge you. When encountered with a name spelt with myriad y’s replacing other vowels etc., people tend to think “ah, the mother isn’t very bright, and thinks that makes the name pretty”.
The names, especially [name]Victoria[/name], which I adore, are very lovely spelt in the traditional way.
I don’t mean this offensively, I am just offering advice.

If you want to know some really unusual names, how about:
for a boy-
[name]Calixto[/name] [name]Miguel[/name]
[name]Kristo[/name] [name]Giordano[/name]

for a girl-
[name]Katya[/name] [name]Nikoleta[/name] or [name]Katia[/name] [name]Nikoleta[/name]
[name]Gianni[/name] [name]Vittoria[/name]

You can look up these names on “check out a name”, the blue box on the left. All these names are Nameberry approved, but, with the exception of [name]Miguel[/name], they are extremely rare in the United States. So you get the best of both worlds - rare, they sound like your names, and they are spelled correctly.

The above names are from other countries. They sound kind of similar to your names, but they will be admired by people who are educated such as teachers. I think that often teachers are affected by their students’ names. If they really don’t like their students’ names, they don’t pay as much attention to them. This is unfortunate, but what do you expect from people who love to spell? I love to spell. [name]Love[/name] to play Scrabble and do my crossword puzzle, so I love names that are spelled correctly. I am not a teacher, but I do have a masters in teaching.
(I’m adding this later) Of course, the best teachers are the ones who love their students unconditionally, but I have run across more than a few teachers who can be very, very biased. I’m thinking of one of my Master Teachers who was truly horrid. She hated this poor little boy in her class because he was new and his name was [name]Maximillian[/name]. She said his name was too long and his parents were ridiculous to give him that name. It was really sad.

Whoa. I’m late to the game here, but I strongly agree with everyone who has advised against the yooneek spellings. Yooneek spellings aren’t unique in the least, but do look like typos, and will definitely guarantee your child a lifetime of having to correct people’s spelling. In addition to this, yooneek spellings aren’t classy at all (they’re very downmarket, to be honest), and won’t serve your child well.

I can’t imagine any educated person or professional having such mispelled names (to the point that he or she will have to translate their pronunciations, as you needed to), and I honestly think that such spellings will reflect poorly on you, too.

If you search nameberry, you’ll find many different names that are spelled correctly and will serve your child well, both when he/she is growing up, and as an adult.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Susan[/name], I completely agree with you and hadn’t really thought of it in that way before. Of course a name preceeds you and can affect others’ perceptions of you in a negative way - esp. teachers who love to spell!!!

…and [name]Jill[/name], what exactly do you mean by “downmarket”? I always have a negative reaction when I read your comments with this criticism, although I agree with you in terms of funky spellings solely for the sake of being different.

oops…ignore this!

[/quote]

I got the term “downmarket” from [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name], who use it in their baby naming books and articles to describe names that aren’t considered classy (think [name]Bambi[/name]) or have seriously yooneek spellings.

For example, I can’t see a doctor or lawyer named Vyktoreeuh, but I could see a stripper with the name. [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] also use helpful and honest terms like “upwardly mobile” and “downwardly moble” to describe names.

I think these are important factors to consider when naming a baby.

You really can’t be upset with people for being honest when you post names like this on a website. These spellings are honestly terrible. They almost give me a headache just looking at them. And you have no idea how often you have to spell your child’s name! [name]Just[/name] because you introduce yourself without spelling your name doesn’t mean you never spell it, or that other people don’t! Seriously, no one will ever spell those names right (with the exception of [name]Kal[/name]-el, maybe… though I think I’d just use [name]Kalel[/name]… maybe with an accent on the e?) You children will not be babies forever, they’re going to have to have this name in school, on birthday party invitations, their diploma, college applications, job applications. I honestly think you’d be doing your children a serious disservice to give them those names.

Anyway, [name]Susan[/name] gave you AMAZING ideas. They sound almost just like your names, and are very unusual, BUT beautiful and correctly spelled!

I’m sorry to be negative, but you did post here to see what people think. I actually do like the sound of them, though. Especially [name]Johnnie[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] and [name]Kalel[/name].

jill – thanks for clearing that up. I have only flipped through one of their books. For some reason I find the term really condescending.

I have found that some of [name]Jill[/name]'s remarks come across as rude and so very closed minded myself… But anyways I think that Jhonny Vyctorea for a girl is very cute, I do think she would have a hard time with the spelling, [name]Johnnie[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] is much better!

Kaitiya Nechol: I think it does sound nice together, I would spell the middle name [name]Nicole[/name] just becouse the first is so different: Kaitiya [name]Nicole[/name]

[name]Kal[/name]-[name]El[/name] Mykiel: is cute, you could get away with the [name]Michael[/name] spelled that way
[name]Krystofer[/name] [name]Jordyn[/name]: I like this one the best!!

Good luck to you! The most important thing is that you love them, others may try to force their opinions on you and they must forget that it’s a dicussion board not a place to criticize new ideas or be so black and white!!

I like [name]Victoria[/name],but I have just read Twilight and that puts me off :stuck_out_tongue:
I think that those spellings are going to be a pain for that child for the rest of their life- as a nearly qualified early childhood teacher I can just imagine how hard it would be for that child learning to spell their name.

http://babynamelover.wordpress.com (visit me)

Lol. Yes, this is a discussion board, are we not all having a discussion? Spelling names completely wrong is not a “new idea”. Have you read any of the books written by the creators of this site? They advise against unique spellings like these. Of course, everyone is free to name their baby whatever they want, but you can’t come on to a message board like this one with names like Vyctorea and expect a good response. Maybe you should read the section on “Class” in Beyond [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Aiden[/name].

Also, I’ve got to stick up for [name]Jill[/name]. She is certainly not close minded (or rude!). She gives people, who are coming to this site for HELP, a real idea of what others will think of the names they are considering. When I was naming my baby, I came here to find out honest opinions on the names I was considering. I very much appreciated, and still do, the constructive criticism I found from everyone here. My son might have been named something crazy like Buffalo if it weren’t for [name]Jill[/name]!