Ive got a problem with -ano names

Ive realized that recently I have fallen in love with too many boys names that have the same (-ano) ending
On my short list I currently have:
Mariano, Luciano, Adriano & Stefano
Do you think they are unusable for brothers?
What is your favorite and Why? Rank them if you can please

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of matching endings in general but if you don’t mind it, it’s fine. They’re not too similar so it’s not confusing.

I’d rank them:
[name_m]Luciano[/name_m]
[name_m]Adriano[/name_m]
[name_m]Mariano[/name_m]
[name_m]Stefano[/name_m]
First three are simply my personal taste. [name_m]Stefano[/name_m] is the last because in A Series of Unfortunate Events, [name_m]Count[/name_m] [name_m]Olaf[/name_m] was pretending to be someone named [name_m]Stefano[/name_m] so the name reminds me of him. That’s not a strong association though

2 Likes

It’s a little matchy for me but definitely not unusable!

from favourite to least favourite …
[name_m]Luciano[/name_m]
[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] & [name_m]Adriano[/name_m] (tie)
[name_m]Stefano[/name_m]

1 Like

I don’t think it should bother you at all. They’re just all italian or spanish, which I really like. I even think it would be better to mach a sibset like that (e.g. [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] or similar would rather put me off).

If I’d rank them it would probably be:
[name_m]Luciano[/name_m] - love the name and sound, 10/10
[name_m]Adriano[/name_m] - also sounds very lovely
[name_m]Mariano[/name_m] - reminds me a bit of [name_m]Mario[/name_m], another association would be [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] (which I personally don’t really like, but it’s not a strong one and therefore shouldn’t bother you, even if you dislike it)
[name_m]Stefano[/name_m] - sounds too much like [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] or [name_m]Steffan[/name_m] to me

1 Like

I actually didn’t know about that association and I hope it is not a big one

No definitely not a big one, it was used in just one book (out of 13) and it wasn’t a character anyway, just a fake name

1 Like

I personally didn’t think of it and I don’t think it would be bad or even associated with it. And if you love it then that’s it:)

1 Like

Yes. Too similar, sadly. :pensive:

1 Like

Well, I don’t love the matching endings for brothers, tbh. Two might be fine, but 3+ brothers with matching endings seems like a lot to me. But I suppose there’s no real reason you can’t. (However, I will say it would be odd if you’re not Italian.)

My favorite is Luciano. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Luciano
  2. Stefano
  3. Mariano
  4. Adriano
1 Like

I have some Italian family and I also plan on live there once I finish studying or even latter while studying as well so i think it wouldn’t be a problem

1 Like

I know it’s a shame, the good part is that this are not the only ones on my short list but still very sad that I won’t probably be able to use them because of the similarity

1 Like

I love these!

1. Lucinano
  2. [name_m]Mariano[/name_m]
  3. [name_m]Adriano[/name_m]
  4. [name_m]Stefano[/name_m]

They are matchy but still usable, but if there were more siblings then they would have to continue the pattern too.

2 Likes

I would drop [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] considering that your name is [name_f]Mariana[/name_f], & it probably would be too similar for your child. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think if all of them match it’s fine, not my style but it’s quite common I think.
I’d rank them [name_m]Luciano[/name_m] > [name_m]Adriano[/name_m] > [name_m]Mariano[/name_m] > [name_m]Stefano[/name_m] but they might be in a completely different order tomorrow.

1 Like

Sameee!!!

1 Like

They’re a little matchy but the distinct first sounds make them usable to me

1 Like