I've made a terrible mistake

My partner and I were extremely tight-lipped about baby names for our first two. Didn’t talk about our list or finalists at all with family until babies were named. [[Additionally, he is notoriously difficult about coming to a decision so we really weren’t decided until baby was here.]]

Now pregnant with third. Working on names, we are down to a probable final 4 (see discussion here: “Final” List )

Last night my dad was over for dinner and asking (nicely!) about names. Due to other circumstances, I felt bad being like, “I’m not telling you.” So I told him not to react at all, we don’t want feedback, and I would tell him our final four.

OF COURSE, he reacted to my favorite, the current frontrunner [Hug0] by exclaiming with surprise, and saying something along the lines of, “OH, that is ethnic! … is it inspired by Hug0 Chavez?” and now I’m pissed AND worried it is too Spanish for our very gringo family. And I haven’t brought it up to my partner yet but if he got turned off it I’m actually going to detonate.

1. Sh*t!
  2. Is this going to be the reaction?
  3. Sh*t!!!

Can someone talk me down? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I don’t think [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is “ethnic” at all. It reminds me of Victorian [name_u]England[/name_u] more than anything else. As hard as it might be, I think you should try to disregard your dad’s reactions… and probably not talk baby names to anyone else anymore.

14 Likes

I mostly think of the kid’s movie and I haven’t even seen it. Feels as gringo (lol) to me as most other names.

4 Likes

‘Ethnic’ is a bizarre description for Hugo. It’s popular internationally and gives me British, dark academia vibes - in fact, it might help to read this thread which I made to get feedback on Hugo myself :relaxed:

15 Likes

i think [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is perfectly fine !! i think it was strange for your father to call it ‘ethnic’ especially when it would just remind a lot of people of the movie & book (which was about an european boy, i believe!)

4 Likes

I don’t think [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] sounds “ethnic”. If I met a [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], I wouldn’t assume he was Hispanic or Latinx. I feel that [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] works globally and cannot be tied to one country/ethnic group

1 Like

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] reminds me most of the ‘English old man’ style that’s on trend (Alfred, [name_u]Stanley[/name_u], [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_u]Charles[/name_u], [name_u]Edward[/name_u] etc), or perhaps the [name_u]French[/name_u] writer, [name_m]Victor[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] :person_shrugging: It’s a very international and versatile name for me

7 Likes

[name_m]Ah[/name_m] this whole conversation is such an awkward stereotypical parent conversation I cringed inwardly reading it parents eh?! Anyways I wouldn’t describe Hug0 as ‘ethnic’ but then I wouldn’t necessarily describe any name as ethnic of course certain names are associated with certain cultures/ethnicities but I think the word ethnic is strange wording. In the UK [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m] is used predominantly by the black African community for example therefore you could say [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m] is tied to this culture. However is [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m] too ‘ethnic’ the answer is no anyone can be called [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m]. The only names I think are too tied to a certain culture and shouldn’t be used by others who do not follow that culture are names like [name_m]Mohammed[/name_m] & [name_u]Cohen[/name_u]. Anyways going back to [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] no I wouldn’t say the name is too ethnic I would say he’s very universal used by lots of different communities which is a massive plus but I wouldn’t say the name is tied to a certain culture and in a nutshell would be perfect for your family.

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is lovely don’t doubt yourself he’s a universal choice that works for all

13 Likes

I think hugo chavez’s parents’ friends wondered why they named him a Victorian [name_f]English[/name_f] name. His brothers were probably [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m]

8 Likes

I think of Hug0 as [name_f]British[/name_f] because in [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], [name_m]Ron[/name_m] and [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] name one of their children Hug0

3 Likes

I would never think of Hug0 as distinctively Spanish especially if you are using the [name_f]English[/name_f] “hyu-goh” pronunciation.

2 Likes

Absolutely agreed. I think of Hugo as quite international—just as British as it is Latinx. If anything to me, it’s mostly French! It’s such a sturdy, sweet, and easy name to wear. Really a beautiful pick! Any name is “ethnic” to someone I suppose… that word really doesn’t mean much…

3 Likes

I definitely don’t think of Hug0 as ethnic! I agree with many here, it gives me [name_f]English[/name_f], classic, vintage vibes. I’d assume a Hug0 was from [name_u]England[/name_u] or [name_u]France[/name_u] rather than a Spanish speaking country. Also, I think [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is a perfect addition to siblings Viv1an and Benn3tt, and I absolutely love Hug0 anyway!! [name_f]Carry[/name_f] on in your name choice and don’t let one comment get you down! Good luck!!

1 Like

Maybe it is generational. NEVER in a million years would i have thought of hugo chavez. Don’t tell your partner and don’t over think this. You are totally fine. This kids generation is not going to know hugo chavez even a 10th of what their grandparents do. [name_f]Imo[/name_f]. Sorry to the [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] chavez fans. And it also won’t be long until your father forgets that and associates the name with your baby first, not the historical figure. He just doesn’t have anyone else to attatch it to yet so he is still thinking that way. But really i think you are fine

3 Likes

This is what I think of first. Definitely not what Id call ‘ethnic’ Maybe inadvertently put it on when dads there next time around? Give him some more exposure to the name?

2 Likes

In my community, Hug0 is the kind of name your grandpa might have. I would never in a million years think of it as being an “ethnic” name. Yes, I am aware it is used in the Spanish language but it is also used in many other communities, including [name_u]Irish[/name_u] and [name_f]British[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is my favourite boys name too and it doesn’t make me think Hispanic at all. To me it is classic, elegant, intelligent, wise, stylish, sweet. It does feel very European at the moment though because it’s currently popular across Europe, but other than [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_m]Chavez[/name_m] who i’ve never actually heard of until right now you’ve got [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_m]Boss[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] the film/book set in [name_u]Paris[/name_u], [name_m]Victor[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_m]Granger[/name_m] in [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] the [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] awards, just to name a few.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it. The brain works by making associations. So for your father the only or main association he may have for the name is with [name_m]Chavez[/name_m]. I don’t really see it as being particularly Spanish, but I would agree it works really well internationally like other posters have said. It’s a very handsome name :blue_heart:

3 Likes

The name’s origins are germanic, I believe. Yes, there have been some famous Latino Hugos, but in my head, Hugo Chávez is “oo-go” and it’s a different vibe (I live in Latin America and love the name in both languages though). To me Hugh-go sounds so very British. The round vowels are cozy and fun. I also think Victor Hugo, but it’s definitely not strictly Latino name if that’s the implication.

5 Likes

I had [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] on my list and I never even thought of [name_m]Chavez[/name_m] until my husband brought it up. I don’t think that it would be most people’s first thought, especially among other children. We didn’t use it only because it doesn’t go with our surname at all.
I wouldn’t worry about it. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is a great name with a great meaning!

1 Like