Ivy, Felicity, or Louisa?

See the results of this poll: What the best name for a little sister for Susanna and Clara?

Respondents: 106 (This poll is closed)

• Ivy : 23 (22%)
  • Louisa : 52 (49%)
  • Felicity: 31 (29%)

I think [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] fits perfectly with [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

I pronounce it with the “z” sound as well, I think it is probably more common (I would use the “s” pronounciation if it was spelled [name_f]Luisa[/name_f], most likely).

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is cute, but seems more modern/less classic than [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. And while I am not a fan of [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] personally, it works with your girls names, but the “a” ending in [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] really ties the trio together.

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is seriously the perfect name to go with [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. Pick [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]!!

Ditto this. [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is gorgeous and ticks all the boxes.

Thanks for your input, y’all!

I will add…though the three are equally tied for us, everyone in our family loves [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is the least favorite of everyone (by a lot, as they would say). To my surprise, they ALL asked how to pronounce it too. Makes it tough to choose, knowing they don’t like it…

Ugh. This is so hard.

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] are lovely choices, but I do think [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is the best match for the sibset. The ends-in-a pattern isn’t really a big deal, I feel. I myself have two sisters and all our names end in -a. I personally think it works well in a sibset like that.

[name_f]Susanna[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] all have a Victorian feel to them, very charming and pretty without being overly “frilly”. They are all strong, classic, and feminine and they sound perfect together. I like that [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] sort of brings the trio together as it shares the ‘s’ sound of [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] and the ‘l’ in [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

I am seriously loving this sibset now! :slight_smile:

I understand your concerns with [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], but it seems like it might be the best fit. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you always have to correct people that [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] is spelled without the final “h”? [name_m]How[/name_m] many times do you explain Cl-[name_f]AIR[/name_f]-a vs Cl-AHR-a? If your first two names don’t bother you with their idiosyncrasies, I don’t think [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] would either.

That being said, I think my favorite pick for you is [name_f]Felicity[/name_f].

I agree with quirkflower that [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] will have no more pronunciation problems than [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. I would say it with a Z and say [name_f]Luisa[/name_f] with an S sound. I voted for [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] because [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is not my favorite in terms of sound, but I agree that it matches well with the others. I think [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] does too though. Did you consider some of the similar [name_u]Lou[/name_u] names like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], [name_u]Eloise[/name_u]?

Interesting point abou [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] not being more difficult than [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] or [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. We do have to correct the spelling of [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] (I was anticipating the “-h,” but not how many people spell it with a “z” or one “n!”) And she frequently gets [name_f]Savannah[/name_f], since it’s a much more popular name. But we have never had to pronounce [name_f]Clara[/name_f]–I guess where we live, everybody says it the same way.

I think names are pronounced more than they are spelled, so still possibly more corrections with [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] than [name_f]Susanna[/name_f], but it’s certainly a good thought. I don’t mind it, but my husband does, as he tends to judge names more on practicality and ease of use (while I judge more on style and meaning).

I’m curious–does geographic location affect names? I think [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is slightly Southern, whereas [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] aren’t. We do live in the South.

Of the three, [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is my favourite personally, but with [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] & [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is definitely the one that fits best. As for pronunciation and spelling issues - I don’t think it’s too ‘out-there’ and it wouldn’t take much more than a quick correction if need be for people to have it.

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is my favorite!

Felicity!

I think Ivy is a bit too short to flow with the older girls names.

If you don’t want a matchy name, I like Felicity best. The association with the tv show is really only for our generation, she probably won’t have the same issue with her peers.

As far as the doll reference, at least it will be a familiar sounding name, and people will know how to spell & pronounce it (since you are worried about issues with your ln).

Yes yes yes! I’ve only met one [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] in my lifetime. She is in her late 20s and originally from Central [name_u]America[/name_u]. She pronounces it “[name_f]Lu[/name_f]-eee-suh.”

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
And it is pronounced with the z sound in USA, no problem.
Think of [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u].

I was undecided until I read that you had hoped for a boy (understandable!). Then I felt that it was very important that this little sister be tied to her older siblings with that -a rather than being odd-man-out.

I love all 3 names on your list. I think [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] is best with the siblings - I like to break up the endings. I think [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] goes perfectly with the other girls’ names - the same feel and style.

I also love [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and don’t think the pronunciation would be much of a problem if you choose it. As a pp said, [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u] is very well known. And it’s no big deal if some people say ‘s’ instead of z anyway.

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] seems too short to have with a sister [name_f]Susannah[/name_f].

I thought it was always “z” in the US as well…that’s how I pronounce [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u]…I have been shocked by how many people say it with an “s” then ask me how we would say it! Apparently people have read it ([name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u]), but not spoken it. I had no clue there would be discrepancies with this one.

I think with [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] I would have to choose [name_f]Louisa[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] fits best with your other daughters, then [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]. [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is my favorite of the three, but I don’t think it fits as well with [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

Sorry I am a bit late to the game. I think the sibling set matching is less important than using your prefered name and ease of use. Your family all loves [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and there are no spelling or pronunciation issues. If you aren’t sold on [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] or the others keep looking, so you don’t settle on something that is going to annoy you when people ask about pop culture or pronunciation.

I love [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] with [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

Some other possibilties:

[name_f]Susanna[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], and

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]