Ivy - popularity?

[name]Hi[/name] there,
I posted a poll and most of you liked [name]Ivy[/name] the best. My one sticking point on that name at the moment is the rising popularity. We try to avoid names that are overly popular, as I just don’t want my daughter to end up in a classroom full of kids with the same name. [name]Ivy[/name] seems to be on the rise in popularity - do you think so too? [name]Do[/name] you see it becoming in the top 100 names in the next few years? Or am I just being overly cautious on this point??

Personally I don’t really like the name [name]Ivy[/name]. I worry someone with that named could be given the pet name Poison [name]Ivy[/name]. “[name]Don[/name]'t get to close or she’ll infect you.” I prefer [name]Ivory[/name]?

I don’t really like the name [name]Ivy[/name] either. Besides that, I live on a street named [name]Ivy[/name], so it would never never be a name we considered for us. In fact, my whole neighborhood has street names like [name]Fern[/name], [name]Gardenia[/name] and [name]Heather[/name] (any of which I like better than [name]Ivy[/name]). Sorry to be such a downer. :frowning: Best wishes finding something that works for you and your baby.

l really like the name. It would be on my own list if DH approved it but he doesn’t :frowning:

I love [name]Ivy[/name]. I don’t think it will get that popular at all.

I love [name]Ivy[/name]!
I know a couple [name]Ivy[/name]'s and both are my age (20s)… I think this name ages really well.

I like [name]Ivy[/name]. It is sophisticated and vintage, yet it has a mysterious quality to it. I don’t see it getting to popular, so I think you are good to go!

I love the name [name]Ivy[/name]. I have only met two [name]Ivy[/name]'s in my life…one in her 70s and one in her 40s…
I dont think it is too common…nor will ever become super popular…

A good rule of thumb to use when gauging how popular a name is likely to become is that the more quickly a name climbs the charts, the higher its peak popularity is likely to be. [name]Ivy[/name] has been rising in popularity lately, but somewhat slowly, with a fair amount of up-and-down movement within the overall upward trend. I’d say this probably doesn’t mean it’s destined for the kind of megapopularity that similar names like [name]Ava[/name] or [name]Lily[/name] have, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets to the top 100 or close to it.

Of course, most people care less about a name’s overall national popularity than they do about the problem you mention–is the kid going to be one of three with the same name in her class? To answer that question, national popularity stats are probably going to be less useful than local ones, and unfortunately those aren’t always reliably available. The best you can do is probably get a feel for whether names similar in style to [name]Ivy[/name] are becoming popular in your area–you might not be able to use super-scientific methods, but if you keep an ear open to what the parents around you are calling their kids, you might be able to get a bit of an idea.

For the record, I love the name [name]Ivy[/name] and might still consider using it even if it ends up getting considerably more popular than I predict it will.

I love [name]Ivy[/name], too, and I second the comments that have already been made about its popularity. :slight_smile: Plus, no name is truly safe from popularity, because all it takes is one celebrity to name their baby something unusual (say, [name]Beatrix[/name]) for it to become the next big thing.

If you love [name]Ivy[/name], I think it would a shame for you not to use it! :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Ivy[/name] is my #2 girl name, so I obviously love it. I believe it was most popular in the 1860’s though it seems to be rising a little now. However, its rise in popularity hasn’t been as sharp as other names. I don’t think it will get close to the top 100. Google ‘name trends’ and you will find web sites that can give you popularity by state.

If you feel a name is ‘right’ for you, I would use it despite its popularity.

[name]Ivy[/name] has been a personal favorite of mine for several years now. I think it’s classic and beautiful. I don’t really see it getting so popular it will be in the Top 100 in the next few years. I think it’s still rather understated in it’s popularity. It was #298 in 2008! It has quite a way to go before it reaches the Top 100. Go for it if you love it. :slight_smile:

I agree with lemon that it’s sophisticated and vintage, but mysterious too. I think it’s growing in popularity, but not that quickly. I know only one little girl named [name]Ivy[/name]. I don’t see it being in the top 100, so if you love it- go with it!!

It’s considered or suggested on this and other name sites about equally often as Top 10 names. From the amount of times it’s mentioned, I’m surprised it doesn’t rank higher already. It’ll be very overused quite soon.