J name... Help please!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], I’m a newbie to Nameberry!
We recently found out that we are expecting a baby girl in [name_u]March[/name_u] 2015 and we are deep in name discussions. I know lots of people dislike names that start with the same letter but my husband, my son, and I all have J names so we are looking to stick with that. I’m [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], husband goes by [name_m]Josh[/name_m], and son goes by [name_m]Joshua[/name_m].
So, let’s hear your favorites/suggestions!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! If you’re set on it, good for you, but don’t be afraid to venture out. It’s coincidence that you and your husband share an initial and if your son is a junior to your husband that’s different from choosing just any J name. The next little girl won’t feel left out I don’t think because of that. You and I share a name, my husband has a different J name, our first son many well be a junior to him, and I don’t feel obliged to stick with J for a daughter after that.

Anyway, that aside, if you’re going with J, I’d stay away from [name_u]Jo[/name_u] names since there are already two of those. Maybe Je too. [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]'s a pretty serious name, so sticking with that…

[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliana[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Junia[/name_f]
[name_f]Justina[/name_f]

Seem like some of the best contenders.

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] (so lovely)
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] (maybe too close to [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], but one of my faves)
[name_f]Jessamyn[/name_f] (pronounced the same… so ditto)
[name_f]Juno[/name_f] (for the adventurous)

I will also second the suggestion of [name_f]Jane[/name_f] or [name_f]Jayne[/name_f]. So pretty and underused in the first position.

Husband is all about the J names continuing lol. [name_m]Son[/name_m] doesn’t share a MN with husband so not a jr but still named after him… And I’ve always liked [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]. We’ve already decided on a boy name if we have another son and it also starts with J so it just seems like continuing is best. I feel like naming a girl is so much harder!

Congratulations, @jvgriff!

Excited for you!

My top suggestion is another Hebrew “j” name:

[name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_m]Josh[/name_m], [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] {and} [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] {or} [name_f]Judith[/name_f]

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Jenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u]

Sorry for any repeats:

[name_f]Junia[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Jolene[/name_f]
[name_f]Jenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]
[name_f]Jemima[/name_f]
[name_u]Julianne[/name_u]

For a J girl, I would be considering:

[name_f]Jordana[/name_f] - less popular than [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]/[name_u]Jordyn[/name_u], nice Hebrew fit. I have this name with a different spelling, but this is the best spelling.
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - this is nice because it has a distinct ending sound but fits in well with [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_m]Josh[/name_m], and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m].
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] or [name_f]Jessamy[/name_f] - different meaning but in sound these are nearly as close to [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] as [name_m]Josh[/name_m] and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]. I would consider it if this is your last child. But I don’t know what you’d name one after this that wouldn’t feel left out.
[name_f]Jacinta[/name_f] - I really like this one with the Spanish pronunciation “ha-seen-ta” but in Australia it’s often with the hard J. I do think a non-English J could be a great way to branch out without losing the theme?
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] - Classic and warm, with cute nicks. Goes well with the other names in the family
[name_f]Joelle[/name_f] - jo-[name_f]ELLE[/name_f], not like [name_m]Joel[/name_m]. Unexpected, but not made-up.
[name_f]Jane[/name_f] - the ultimate classic. I love [name_f]Jane[/name_f].
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f] - [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] is popular, [name_f]Jillian[/name_f] is overlooked. [name_f]Jill[/name_f] is classic.
[name_f]Jocelin[/name_f], [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f], [name_f]Joceline[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u].
[name_f]Juanita[/name_f] - I really love retro [name_f]Juanita[/name_f] actually. Another Spanish pick.
[name_f]Joy[/name_f] - Simple, breezy, natural fit.
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u] - I’m not fond of [name_u]June[/name_u], but [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] is a tree name I quite like.

I have to join in the chorus cheering on [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]! [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is such a rare gem. It is likely to become more popular. However, I have yet to meet a single [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] in my 32 years on this planet. Did you know the founder of the Girl Scouts’ name was [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]? It’s a strong AND feminine name.

My other suggestions:

*[name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] – It’s time for a comeback! This name oozes class and sophistication.
*[name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Janie[/name_f] – [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is NOT plain! And [name_f]Janie[/name_f] is just the cutest nickname.
*[name_f]Janessa[/name_f]
*[name_f]Joselyn[/name_f], [name_u]Josie[/name_u]
*[name_f]Julia[/name_f] – This name appears in the [name_m]New[/name_m] Testament.
*[name_f]Juliana[/name_f], [name_f]Julianna[/name_f] – Yes, it is frilly. But there is so much substance there, too!

My favorites are [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_f]Julia[/name_f]. They both complement [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] quite well!

Good luck! Be sure to post in Nameberry birth announcements once your little lady arrives.

I personally really like [name_f]Jessa[/name_f]

I love J names and had a list of them when I was 13 years old! I am [name_u]Julie[/name_u], but I love [name_f]Julia[/name_f] or [name_f]Juliana[/name_f]. I had all boys, so never got to use my names. But my fav was [name_f]Jill[/name_f], which could be updated to [name_f]Jillian[/name_f]. I also loved [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f], an underused name. Now my favorite is [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]. I also like [name_f]Jinger[/name_f], like the Duggars.

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]/[name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Jemima[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliana[/name_f]/[name_f]Julianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f]
[name_u]Jody[/name_u]
[name_f]Joelle[/name_f]
Jodelle
[name_f]Jolie[/name_f]/[name_f]Jovie[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]/[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]/[name_f]Junia[/name_f]/[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f]
[name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]
[name_u]Joyce[/name_u]/[name_f]Joycie[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]/[name_f]Josephina[/name_f]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u]/[name_f]Jordana[/name_f]

My favorites are

[name_f]Justine[/name_f]
[name_f]Jazmine[/name_f] or [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_u]Josie[/name_u]
Jolie
Jacqueline or Jacquelyn
Jaclyn

My favorite J girl name is [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. I also love [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. [name_f]Janis[/name_f] is a good option [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] is another, more daring, choice.

[name_f]Johanna[/name_f] comes to mind, as does [name_u]Josie[/name_u], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f].

Thanks to everyone so much for the suggestions! Right now, [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]/[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is at the top of our list!

Im also considering [name_f]Joslyn[/name_f] but I’m wondering if I could use [name_u]Josie[/name_u] as a nn. My husband doesnt love [name_u]Josie[/name_u] but I think its adorable. Not a huge fan of [name_f]Josephine[/name_f].

J names are great…I suggest:

• [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Justine[/name_f]/[name_f]Justina[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Jewel[/name_f]

Oop just saw you don’t favor [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]–stirke that then lol

I’d like to recommend my name, [name_f]Janelle[/name_f]. It is unique without being too “out there”. It is easy to pronounce and relatively easy to spell. I have always adored my name!
Some other suggestions:
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_u]Josie[/name_u]
[name_f]Jolie[/name_f]
[name_f]Jenna[/name_f]

Good luck!

My favourite J names got girls are

[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f]/[name_f]Jessamy[/name_f]