James for a girl?

I wash thinking about it-- it’s already a very soft boys’ name and it has the same pretty, short tone as [name]Blythe[/name], [name]Day[/name] and [name]Jane[/name].

If you paired it with a longer, more feminine name, could it work? Some examples:

[name]Verona[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Octavia[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Mallory[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]James[/name]

[name]James[/name] [name]Orchid[/name]
[name]James[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]James[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]
[name]James[/name] [name]Claudia[/name]

As a middle name only - considering its popularity for boys. [name]Verona[/name] [name]James[/name] and [name]Isadora[/name] [name]James[/name] are very pretty. I quite like the nicknames [name]Vera[/name] and [name]Izzy[/name].

We are most likely using [name]James[/name] for a mn for our daughter. My [name]SIL[/name] is using it as a mn also, but spelled [name]Jaymes[/name]. My [name]BIL[/name] passed away, and we both are using it to honor him.

I don’t like it. To me, it’s male.

I know a woman named [name]George[/name]! And I love the name on her.

But somehow, I can’t see [name]James[/name] working as well. Maybe because with [name]George[/name], [name]Georgie[/name] or [name]Georgia[/name] is a cute nn. Of course, you could give her [name]Jamie[/name] as a nn, but it feels rather dated. I would probably use [name]James[/name] for a mn as, for some reason I can’t put my finger on, it sounds more serious than the down-home and slightly mischievous [name]George[/name]/[name]Georgie[/name].

I also know a girl with [name]Michael[/name] for a mn, so I agree with that option. You can avoid potential drama or controversy that way.

What about doing a less literal tribute like [name]Jemma[/name]? Or even [name]Jemima[/name]? [name]Jaime[/name] is also an option, but like I said, it definitely feels dated.

Oh, and as a side note, if you do decide to go with [name]James[/name], I wouldn’t use [name]Orchid[/name] or [name]Indigo[/name] for a mn. You’d want to give her an option that she’d be likely to use if [name]James[/name] ever became too heavy a mantle. Something like [name]Orchid[/name] might be considered just as out there. I’d give her something distinctly normal and undeniably feminine like [name]Katherine[/name].

It could work in the middle, but I don’t care for boys’ names on girls. You’re right about it sounding kind of soft. I do really like it on a boy, but I suppose it’s not the most masculine sounding classic name.

i think it could work as a middle name only. It’s actually kind of sweet with [name]Isadora[/name]…
Most people will be a little confused by it though as it is a primarily male name… but i knew a family once who used the name [name]Brandon[/name] for a girl… They were expecting boy/girl twins and had chosen the names [name]Brandon[/name] & [name]Amanda[/name]… they ended up having girl/girl twins and went ahead and used [name]Brandon[/name] anyway… just changed the spelling to make it a little more feminine: [name]Brandyn[/name] (nn [name]Brandy[/name]).
Possibly you could do that with [name]James[/name]…
i don’t think i would though… [name]Jaymes[/name] looks more feminine, but it has a very “tryndee” feel to it that i just don’t like.
back to your original question::
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]James[/name] is actually a pretty name for a little girl!
Had you ever considered using the unisex [name]Jamie[/name]?
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jamie[/name] is a sweet alternative…
it’s not quite the same, but [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Jasmine[/name] works really well too!!

[name]James[/name] as a first name for a girl? Absolutely not. To me this would be like naming a little girl [name]John[/name], [name]Mike[/name], or [name]Richard[/name]. I think it would be cruel and lead to a lifetime of confusion. People expecting a man would meet a woman, store sales clerks checking credit card details might awkwardly suspect fraud, etc. Fair enough if you want to use a boyish nickname, but it would be nice to have a formal feminine option should she so desire in future.

As a middle name it could work nicely, particularly as it sounds like a surname when put in the middle or sounds like you may be honouring a particular [name]James[/name].

Middle name - it’s bearable.

First name - ABSOLUTELY NOT.

When is this ‘using boys names on girls’ madness going to end?

I’ve said this before, I’ll say it again, before long we’ll have run out of boy’s names as they’ll have all been stolen for girls!

I agree with the previous posters about distinctly boy names on a girl. As a teacher, I have seen a lot of confusion and problems over not knowing what the gender is, as well as bullying.

Please don’t. I’m not even advising you against it because I dislike boys’ names on girls - it is actually that I fear that more and more boys’ names are being adopted into the girls’ category, and I feel it is unfair on parents looking to name a little boy. What are they left with? The _aydens? [name]Rock[/name]? I for one like softer names on boys, and I fear that one day there won’t be any left!

No. [name]James[/name] is boy’s name, save it for a boy. You could use [name]Jamie[/name] instead, it’s an acceptable unisex name.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]James[/name] for a girl! Either first or middle would be excellent, just make sure the other name is very girly :slight_smile:

I don’t like [name]James[/name] for a girl - exception was that the character [name]Jamie[/name] on “Mad About You” was sometimes called [name]James[/name] as a nickname - like you might call someone [name]Jules[/name] if their name was [name]Julie[/name], or Ames if their name was [name]Amy[/name], etc. I don’t think that qualifies those to be “girl’s names.” I really love [name]James[/name] for a boy. I think someone a while ago named their daughter [name]Jameson[/name], or was considering it. I’m not so strict on names where boys weren’t using it anyway, like [name]Bailey[/name], which revived at least a decade earlier for girls than boys and has always, in the current era, been more common for girls than boys. [name]James[/name] is not a girl’s name. I don’t know where you hear “soft” in the name, and apply that “means it’s for girls.” I disagree with that sentiment, if that’s the kind of name you are going for, just name her something that’s not a boy’s name.

If you want to be avant garde, and I think [name]James[/name] is as avant garde as naming her [name]Steven[/name] or [name]Jeffrey[/name] or [name]Robert[/name], that’s entirely a different thing. If you are going for a “unisex” sort of soft name, surname, boy’s name for a girl, try [name]Avery[/name] or [name]Finley[/name] or [name]Emerson[/name]. Those are a little more understandable.

I also understand the sentimentality of the poster who, with her [name]SiL[/name] is using [name]James[/name] for a middle name to commemorate someone. To consider it soft like [name]Blythe[/name] is heresy. Sorry.

I think it’s fine. I don’t see [name]James[/name] “going to the girls.” I like it for a middle name for girls with a very feminine first name. [name]James[/name] [name]Marsden[/name] named his little girl [name]Mary[/name] [name]James[/name]. My brother’s name is [name]Cameron[/name] [name]James[/name], and I’ve thought about [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]James[/name] for a little girl because I’ve always wanted to honor him.