Janaya - Hubby's latest suggestion - WDYT? Pronunciation?

My hubby came across this name the other day… He pronounces it, [name]Jan[/name]-EYE-uh, but it looks like Ja-NAY-uh to me. Anybody know how it’s pronounced? Any thoughts on this name???

He pronounces it Ja-EYE-uh? [name]How[/name] is that even possible? That sounds completely awkward to me, unless you meant to write [name]Jan[/name]-EYE-uh…

I would pronounce it Juh-[name]NYE[/name]-uh, personally, but it looks a little made up. What is the origin?

He pronounces it Ja-EYE-uh? [name]How[/name] is that even possible? That sounds completely awkward to me, unless you meant to write [name]Jan[/name]-EYE-uh…

I would pronounce it Juh-[name]NYE[/name]-uh, personally, but it looks a little made up. What is the origin?[/quote]

I must have been editing at the same time you posted. He pronounces it Juh-[name]NYE[/name]-uh. I think it’s the name of an actress? I also think it looks made up, and I really don’t care for it. [name]Just[/name] thought I’s see what some of you think of it… :slight_smile:

Hmmm…sounds like [name]Shania[/name] but with a J. I’m not a fan

What about…

[name]Jacinta[/name]/[name]Jacinda[/name]
[name]Jana[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]

Good luck!

it looks european, therefore the J sounds like Y so i would pronounce this name YA [name]NAYA[/name]
what about [name]JANA[/name] procounced YAHNA i think its also very nice.

When I read your topic heading, I pronounced it [name]JAN[/name]-EYE-[name]AH[/name] (rhymes with [name]Shania[/name]). I’m not a huge fan either but I think it does depend on what your cultural background is. I could see this name being suitable for an african american girl, but not so much on a caucasian girl, for example.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Janna[/name]?