Jane or Jayne?

Which do you prefer and why?

Also, do you like the name in general?

I really like [name_f]Jane[/name_f]! I think it has a longer history and positive associations, I’m typically not a fan of silent letters in a lot of names, and I think [name_f]Jane[/name_f] would be the spelling one would default to.

3 Likes

Jane.
I love how simple elegant and historical it is. I have a name that people constantly spell incorrectly and it drives me nuts. I think spelling [name_f]Jane[/name_f] this way would save the constant correcting

1 Like

I do actually like [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] a lot, but [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is my favorite spelling. I love the elegance and simplicity and versatility of it!

1 Like

Jane

Strongly prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f], although I had a friend whose middle name was [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] and it worked for her.

I prefer and love [name_f]Jane[/name_f], but I’m a bit biased since it’s my middle name and my late maternal grandmother’s name.

1 Like

Jane is simple, traditional and stunning!

1 Like

I like [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] a lot better, because it’s a slight twist on the classic name. It’s a spelling that isn’t too “extra” as some would say, and looks quite pretty written down.

1 Like

Jane

Definitely [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] looks forced and made up

1 Like

I like both and I think they have a really different vibe to each other- [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is classic, strong etc and [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] is more modern and spunky.

One of the names on my list is [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. I chose this spelling here to balance out the unusualness of the X in [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f].

However, I also like double barrel names such as [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Jayne[/name_f]. With these names I think the [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] spelling peps up an otherwise quite traditional, plain name.

1 Like

Jane, perfect as is.

Jane is clean and classic! Lots of strong women in history and literature named [name_f]Jane[/name_f]!

1 Like

Love the name [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and prefer it spelt without the y.

I know people with both spellings, but I much prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f]!

1 Like

Jane.
This classic is simple, straightforward, and common.
To me, spelling it with the y and e make it seem ‘trying to hard.’

Jayne is fun but I’d probably just go with [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. Its classic and looks better on a resume and such. [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] provides a bit of flair to the name but seems a bit trendy and a needless spelling variation.

1 Like

I have a strong association of [name_f]Jayne[/name_f] to the character in [name_u]Firefly[/name_u] and so it’s actually unisex to me. I prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f] for girls because of the classic simplicity and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u].

1 Like