Jane with a common, one syllable surname?

A friend had always planned to name her daughter [name]Jane[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] after her sister and her mother… until she fell in love with “Mr.” [name]Smith[/name]. Now they’re expecting their first child – a girl, and others have told my friend that [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Smith[/name] are too much like [name]Jane[/name] [name]Doe[/name] and she should choose another name. What do you think?

[name]How[/name] about [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Jane[/name]? [name]Jane[/name] [name]Smith[/name] does seem a bit… I don’t know, simple I suppose but that just me. Also wasn’t [name]Jane[/name] [name]Smith[/name] the name of the wife from the movie Mr. and Mrs. [name]Smith[/name]? That wouldn’t be the greatest connection to give your child. There are several variations of [name]Jane[/name] you could suggest, some examples:

[name]Gianna[/name]
[name]Hana[/name]
[name]Ionna[/name]
[name]Iva[/name]
[name]Ivana[/name]/[name]Ivanka[/name]/[name]Ivancka[/name]
[name]Joasta[/name]
[name]Joana[/name]/[name]Johana[/name]/[name]Johanka[/name]/[name]Johanna[/name]
[name]Jone[/name]/[name]Jonna[/name]
[name]Juana[/name]/[name]Juanita[/name]
[name]Jutta[/name]
[name]Jana[/name]/[name]Jaana[/name]
[name]Jama[/name]
[name]Janica[/name]/[name]Jenica[/name]
[name]Janka[/name]/[name]Jenka[/name]
[name]Jasia[/name]
[name]Jeanne[/name]/[name]Jehanne[/name]
[name]Jensine[/name]
[name]Joanka[/name]
[name]Nita[/name]
[name]Ohanna[/name]
[name]Seonaid[/name]
[name]Seini[/name]
[name]Shawn[/name]
[name]Sheena[/name]/[name]Shena[/name]
[name]Sian[/name]/[name]Sine[/name]
[name]Siobhan[/name]
[name]Yoana[/name]/Yoanna
[name]Zanna[/name]/[name]Zhanna[/name]
[name]Zannz[/name]
[name]Zsanett[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helped:) Good [name]Luck[/name]!

[name]Hi[/name]! :slight_smile: I absolutely love the name [name]Jane[/name], and think that [name]Jane[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is beautiful! That said, for me, yes, I have to say that [name]Jane[/name] [name]Smith[/name] is too plain. That’s just me, though!

If it were [name]Jane[/name] [name]Wells[/name], [name]Jane[/name] [name]Frost[/name], [name]Jane[/name] [name]Mead[/name], [name]Jane[/name] [name]Pierce[/name], I’d feel differently, but like your friend’s friends, I guess I do think of [name]Jane[/name] [name]Smith[/name] as a verision of [name]Jane[/name] [name]Doe[/name].

Does it bother your friend? If it doesn’t, that’s all that matters!

Best wishes to you!

[name]Jane[/name] isn’t that common at the moment, so that could be a consideration.
[name]How[/name] does she feel about hyphenating [name]Jane[/name] to a short two or three-syllable name, so that she never gets lost in records as “[name]Jane[/name] [name]Smith[/name]” but is called [name]Jane[/name] for short. She could have [name]Catherine[/name] as an additional, middle name.
Examples:
[name]Adina[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Lara[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Rowena[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Tamara[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]

What about [name]Joan[/name]? Same general feeling as [name]Jane[/name], but a little more offbeat.

I love [name]Jane[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], but what about [name]Jade[/name] as a replacement? I generally don’t like one syllable with one syllable, so I loved [name]Saffron[/name]-rice’s idea of a hyphenated first name, called [name]Jane[/name] and with a middle name of [name]Catherine[/name]. Or what about a variation of [name]Jane[/name], like [name]Charlie[/name] said? (I love [name]Gianna[/name], but if you check you’ll see it’s pretty high on the list, don’t know if that bothers you. :slight_smile:
Also, on a complete tangent, what about [name]Giada[/name], [name]Joanna[/name], or even [name]Sage[/name]? [name]Just[/name] thinking! [name]Jane[/name] isn’t even super popular right now, as another poster said.

Good luck for your friend! :slight_smile:

I agree with the prior poster who suggested [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Smith[/name]. [name]Sister[/name] and Mother will still be honored that way.

Alternatively, your friend could name her daughter [name]Jane[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], as she’d planned, but insist on using both names together most of the time (almost like a double name). That might be a bit much, though …

If she wanted to make the double name official, she could put in a hyphen, [name]Jane[/name]-[name]Catherine[/name] [name]Smith[/name]. Nicknames could be [name]Jennie[/name], [name]Jennie[/name]-[name]Cate[/name], [name]Cathy[/name], [name]Jennie[/name]-Cath, [name]Jane[/name]-[name]Cate[/name], etc. If she goes with the hyphenated or double first name of [name]Jane[/name]-[name]Catherine[/name], then she could even pick another middle name!

For example, [name]Jane[/name]-[name]Catherine[/name] [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Smith[/name] (just a random choice to show what I mean). I definitely don’t think that would be too much with a short last name like [name]Smith[/name]. However, if she does add another middle name, then I would definitely put a hyphen btw [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Catherine[/name] ([name]Jane[/name]-[name]Catherine[/name]) to distinguish those names from the other middle name.

I second Saffrons suggestions of [name]Alice[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Smith[/name] ,[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Smith[/name] or how about [name]Emma[/name] [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Anna[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Smith[/name].[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Jane[/name] seems to be more lively than the others but they all work due to their simplicity and consistency of style.[name]Livia[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Smith[/name] is really lovely also. Having looked at them all again I think [name]Ana[/name] [name]Jane[/name]/[name]Anna[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is my favourite with smith-it just looks and sounds the strongest and most balanced name.WDYT?