Jasper for a girl?

I love the name [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and don’t mind it on a girl (although I much prefer it on a boy). I know how hard it can be naming a child, especially when your partner doesn’t love the name you do, but if he will also be involved in raising the child then he has the right to at least like her name, even if he isn’t the one going through the pregnancy itself. Put yourself in his shoes - wouldn’t you hate having to call your own child something you disliked, even if it was your partner’s favourite name? I know I could never, ever accept calling my child something I disliked, no matter how attached my partner was. When it came to my daughter we just persisted until we found one we both love and although it wasn’t my number 1 pick, it’s a name I’ve always loved and it’s all the more special because my partner loves it so much (and he’s extremely picky). Really, your only option is to keep trying to sell [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] to him and to keep searching in the meantime for something that works for both of you. I know you say you’ve done a lot of searching but some names that have a similar vibe to [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] or share certain features with it (to me at at least) are:

[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_f]Leni[/name_f]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_u]Noa[/name_u]
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] ‘Oli’
[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_u]Wilde[/name_u]
[name_f]Zella[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]

I hope this helps.

I don’t see anything wrong with using [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] fro a girl, just like I like [name_f]Jade[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], and [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] for a boy. Anyways, [name_u]Stevie[/name_u], [name_u]Sam[/name_u], and [name_u]Max[/name_u] are used for girls so why should [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] be any different(besided from the fact that it’s extra goreous :wink: )

I don’t see why not. Unlike some names which are coded because of the meaning, [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] really isn’t inherently masculine.

That being said, both parties need to agree on the name. If you husband is against it, at best you could probably compromise and have [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] in the middle (and that way you could still call her [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]) but I don’t see it being possible to use as a first under the circumstances.

if [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] can be a girl’s name I don’t see why not [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]. it’s a lovely name

I quite like the idea of [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] on a girl and I don’t see what it can’t work - [name_u]James[/name_u] is nice in a girl. However, if your husband really dislikes it then I wouldn’t push for it. You should both love the name, otherwise someone will have name regret. I don’t really care what extended family thinks though.

Coming back to this to ask, are you and your husband on good terms? It sounds like you’re feeling kind of alone in all this. And if you think there is even a bit of a chance that you may end up parenting alone or being primarily responsible for rearing this child, that would give your name desired priority imo.

Personally I think [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] sounds kind of cool as a girl’s name. I’m sorry you’re having a hard time and that your husband is against it. I wouldn’t worry about what the rest of the family thinks, but IMO both parents should be satisfied with their child’s name. I know you said you don’t want to use [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] as a middle, but maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad idea if your husband doesn’t come around? You could put something that you both agree on as a first and you could still call her [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] if you wanted to? It’s not a perfect solution, I know, and I hope your husband changes his mind (hey, it does happen!), but if all else fails, that could be a way for you to still get to use the name that you love. Good luck to you!

For me personally, [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] seems more like a girl’s name than a boy’s. I think it suits a spunky little girl, the ‘Ja/s’ seems feminine ([name_f]Jasmine[/name_f], [name_f]Jade[/name_f], [name_u]Jazz[/name_u], [name_f]Jacqui[/name_f] etc) and the ‘s/per’ is feminine and strong a la [name_u]Vesper[/name_u], [name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_u]Piper[/name_u], [name_f]Whisper[/name_f] etc.
I would only use [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] on a girl. For a girl it has a spunky, mischievous, powerful vibe whereas on a boy it seems obnoxiously upper-class.

With that being said, whether or not [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] works on a girl seems to be the least of your troubles here. I hear what you’re saying in that you’re doing the bulk of the heavy lifting for this baby, physically and mentally, but it’s so important that both you and your partner like the name you choose. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t let a name drive a wedge between you and your partner.

The question I’d ask myself, if I were you, is this: do you love your partner more than you love the name [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]?

Have you sat down with him and shared/discussed these feelings you’re having? Explained how you feel about [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], your concerns over bonding with the baby, and how gruelling you’re finding the pregnancy? It might help if you’re open and honest about how you’re feeling (without using those feelings to convince your partner to accept [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]).

If he hates [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], he hates [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]. There will be another name. And once your baby girl is born, she will grow into her name and it will become her, and you’ll love it just as you love her. [name_u]Trust[/name_u] the process.

I LOVE the advice about getting a 3D scan to bond with your baby, and Iooking in to what it is you actually like about [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] so you can incorporate those elements into her name. You got this Mama!

1 Like