Jasper, Rupert, Spencer or Miro?

Hello berries,

Would love to hear your thoughts on preferences of these names? They are our current top 4 first names for our baby boy.

[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
Miro

Miro may seem a bit “out there” compared with the others, but I taught a child with the name a few years ago and it struck me as a lovely unisex name at the time. I like the fact it is like [name]Milo[/name], but a bit different. I also like the art reference.

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Rupert[/name] is too posh? On other forums I have been to people have suggested a boy with this name could be bullied. Also, I love [name]Jasper[/name], but does it conjure up an image of a cat or dog? (People apparently often use it as pet’s name).

Thank you :slight_smile:

Miro is one of my faves (as seeen in my sig) So… go for it!

I so don’t see [name]Jasper[/name] as a pets name, at all. I personally love it.

I don’t think of [name]Rupert[/name] as posh, in a bad, stuck up way. It does however seem quite old-fashioned which I think is a good thing, even though I must it’s not really my style.

Miro does seem more out there than the other names you listed, but that doesn’t have to be a bad thing. However I don’t see it as unisex, only for a boy (not that makes much difference here as these are your top 4 boys names). I much prefer it to [name]Milo[/name].

[name]Spencer[/name] is nms. It seems rather plain, however I think it would make a good middle name for Miro or [name]Rupert[/name] (but not Jasper).

I don’t know any pets named [name]Jasper[/name]…honestly I’d only worry about not using the names of your own pets.
[name]Jasper[/name] - has a vintage charm to it, though sometimes it feels a little old.
[name]Rupert[/name] - I love this name! It’s on my boy list. I don’t think that [name]Rupert[/name] is overtly tease worthy especially since now it’s the name of one of the actors in [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name].
[name]Spencer[/name] - It’s nms, but I’ve always enjoyed hearing it on a boy.
Miro - I would probably assume that you’re a fan of [name]Joan[/name] Miro. If you’re okay with that, than I think it’s a fine name.

[name]Jasper[/name] strikes me as trendy. I don’t really like it. [name]Rupert[/name] and [name]Spencer[/name] are geeky in a really great way. The standout, I think, is Miro. It’s stunning. I would love to meet a little Miro.

I really adore [name]Spencer[/name]. It is one of those fab names that is familiar but never uber popular. I think it is miles ahead of your other names.

[name]Rupert[/name] is my favorite: [name]Jasper[/name] is trendy, [name]Spencer[/name] a bit posh, and Miro will always be misheard.

I think a [name]Rupert[/name] could get teased. [name]Jasper[/name] sounds a bit like a pet name. I really like [name]Spencer[/name] and Miro is ok but I think of it more of a girls name. I like [name]Milo[/name] or [name]Miles[/name]/[name]Myles[/name] better.

[name]Jasper[/name]: I love the name [name]Jasper[/name] and wouldn’t consider it really trendy. It is not popular enough to be trendy. I wouldn’t worry about it being used on pets, too many human names are used on pets these days. This is my second favorite after [name]Spencer[/name].
[name]Rupert[/name]: I like this name because it reminds me of [name]Rupert[/name] Grint (love [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]). I feel like [name]Rupert[/name] is a name that would be easier to pull off in the U.K., but I would like to see used more in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name].
[name]Spencer[/name]: My favorite on your list. I have a cousin named [name]Spencer[/name], and the name has never seemed dorky/geeky to me. I think it is handsome and I love how underused it is.
Miro: My least favorite on your list, but it doesn’t mean I don’t like it. I just prefer [name]Milo[/name]/[name]Miles[/name]. Would Miro be pronounced My-row or Mee-row?

[name]Rupert[/name] is my favourite! I love how it’s familiar, yet unusual.

1 [name]Jasper[/name] - a variation of one of the Three Magis from the Bible ([name]Caspar[/name]) as well as a mineral name.
2 Miro - unusual artist name that has a spunky “o” ending. [name]Jasper[/name] Miro?
3 [name]Rupert[/name] - This name gives me a very British vibe. Has a posh image.
4 [name]Spencer[/name] - unisex surname that I find the most trendy of your choices

1. [name]Rupert[/name] - I love it. Quirky, but easily pronounced and spelled, and at least moderately recognizable.
  2. [name]Jasper[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this one too. Not a dog name any more than [name]Molly[/name], [name]Maggie[/name], or [name]Jack[/name]. People names on pets are always popular! My only reservation about this one is the strong Twilight associations at the moment, but that will pass. I’d stay away from it if you live in a hipster neighborhood, unless you don’t care whether your kid is one of 10 Jaspers on the playground.
  3. [name]Spencer[/name] - I like it. Unfortunately, I’ve never met a respectable human being named [name]Spencer[/name] (they’ve all been bad news), but it has a nice sound and he fits in anywhere.
  4. Miro - This is intriguing, but will constantly be misunderstood. You’re child will likely be forever introducing himself, “[name]Hi[/name], I’m Miro. M-I-R-O. It’s Slavic.” [name]Just[/name] something to be considered.

I really think that most of the teasing for names in and of themselves is past, unless there is some really negative kid pop culture connection, i.e. [name]Draco[/name] or [name]Lucius[/name]. Kids tease for plenty of other reasons, but I never hear of it just because of the rarity of a name anymore - there is just too much diversity in most classrooms. An exception to this may be some extremely rural communities.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and opinions. I think we will mull them all over.
I do love Miro, but the thought of a child having to explain and spell out his name to others all the time is a bit concerning…

We are British so [name]Rupert[/name] is not that unusual in the UK, however he will most likely be raised in [name]Canada[/name] - not sure how this name would be viewed there?

Thanks again :smiley:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Jasper[/name]!

[name]Rupert[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] are really nice traditional names(so long as you stress the fact that you did not name him because of twilight) [name]Spencer[/name] may be a traditonal LAST name but it is a trendy and modern first name, it does not go with the others. As for Miro, well i find even [name]Arlo[/name] a bit too foreign.

[name]Jasper[/name] is my jack russell terriers name. He came with that name from the dog rescue where I adopted him. In the contract I signed it stated that I had to keep it since he was over 2. It’s the perfect name for him as he has a an orangish red coat. As it happens though it is also my [name]FAVORITE[/name] boy name for people so I am sad I can never use it for a son. I don’t know where you live but I live on the [name]East[/name] Coast and I haven’t met a [name]Jasper[/name] in my life. If it is trendy it’s not trendy here, as far I know. Great name I love it.

Miro is a very cool choice also, I am not familiar with it. It would stand out in a good way. I would vote for either [name]Jasper[/name] or Miro

[name]Rupert[/name] Miro would be perfection, in my opinion.

I love [name]Jasper[/name], and no, it doesn’t conjure up images of pets.