Jasper: Too Twilight?

So after nearly 8 months of agony, on [name]Sunday[/name] my husband and I finally settled on the name [name]Jasper[/name] for our second son. Today at the mall playground, another expectant mom asked me how far along I was and if we had a name picked out. I was excited to finally say yes, but wasn’t at all expecting her reaction: “Oh, I considered that one for my boy on the way; I love Twilight…” I am not at all into Twilight, and have no idea what the character named [name]Jasper[/name] is like, how popular the name is likely to become as a result or how long this fad will last. Any thoughts? Is [name]Jasper[/name] going to be forever Twilight-related? Is everyone going to think that’s why we chose it?

I also adore the name and thought of using it myself. I have also gotten a lot of feedback that the name is exploding due to Twilight, which I am also not even familiar with! If you love it then use it, even if it does become more popular - which I am sure it will it still is not even in the top 100 now. Good luck!

I have the same question for the name we’ve been considering for our son - [name]Emmett[/name]. We’ve just always liked the name and never considered the whole Twilight association, but I’m worried about that, too…

what is your first son’s name?

Our older son is [name]Miles[/name]. Our alternate to [name]Jasper[/name] was (is?) [name]Silas[/name], but that’s a little close to [name]Miles[/name], and we do like the [name]Miles[/name]/[name]Jasper[/name] combination.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Twilight’s popularity will fade. [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Emmett[/name] and the others (Everything except [name]Renesmee[/name]) were names long before the Twilight series came out and will contine to be after the Twilight books hits the bargain bins at [name]Barnes[/name] and Nobles.

You might get a few Twilight comments, but it wouldn’t stop me from using it. Plus, I think [name]Jasper[/name] is a great name.

Good luck!

I don’t think [name]Jasper[/name] is too Twilight. The character in Twilight is tall and blonde. He is the newest one to the [name]Cullen[/name] family and has the hardest time not feeding on humans. He used to be a bad vampire feeding on humans and was in the vampire war. He has lots of scars and is quiet. In the second book SPOILER
He almost kills [name]Bella[/name] (the heroine in the books) when she cuts her finger and bleeds. He’s my little sister’s favorite :smiley:

Well I for one wouldn’t think of Twilight at all but that is probably because I am not interested in Twilight.

I know a [name]Jasper[/name] aged 9 and he was named well before Twilight, and his mother loved that it was a semi precious stone.

I like the nn of [name]Jazz[/name] too.

I really like the name [name]Jasper[/name] I think it is cool.