Jedidiah or Jediah??

What are your thoughts on the names [name]Jedidiah[/name] and Jediah? Which one do you prefer? I’ve been googling these names a lot and several comments about them has been that they sound like hillbillies…do you think so?? I really don’t see that, but maybe I’m the only one.

Also does anyone know the meaning of Jediah? I’m struggling to find it…

I think Jediah means “hand of God” or “Jehovah knows,” but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were a contracted version of [name]Jedidiah[/name]. I prefer the latter; [name]Jedidiah[/name] sounds much more complete where Jediah feels like it’s missing a syllable or that someone slurred when saying [name]Jedidiah[/name], etc.

I think [name]Jedidiah[/name] has gained a small reputation as a hillbilly name since [name]Jed[/name] Clampett was one of the key [name]Beverly[/name] Hillbillies (and perhaps because rural families are more known for having stronger religious roots?). I wouldn’t worry about it though. [name]Jed[/name] is a fun nickname, and I doubt people would meet him and secretly think, “Wow what a redneck,” if he wasn’t actually one.

I like Jediah better, [name]Jedidiah[/name] sounds Amish to me. I also like the NN [name]Jada[/name] for Jediah

Jediah \j(e)-diah\ as a boy’s name is pronounced je-DYE-ah. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Jediah is “Jehovah knows”. [name]Jada[/name] is a short form of the name; both are biblical names.

Jediah sounds incomplete to me but still nice. On the other hand, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Jedidiah[/name]! It has a biblical flare while still has the western tough guy image of [name]Jedidiah[/name] [name]Smith[/name].

I prefer [name]Jedidiah[/name]. I knew a guy in college named [name]Jedidiah[/name] nn [name]Jedi[/name]. I thought it was awesome, but I am a bit of a [name]Star[/name] Wars nerd (old ones not new ones :wink:

I like [name]Jedidiah[/name] better.

Or [name]Jebediah[/name]. (Except I like [name]Jed[/name] better than [name]Jeb[/name] as a nickname) Not very impressed with Jediah.

Speaking of hillbilly names, I’m fond of [name]Jethro[/name], too, but I think [name]Jedidiah[/name] has the advantage of a better inbuilt nickname.

I really like [name]Jedidiah[/name] and the nn [name]Jed[/name]. Not liking Jediah as much. It looks made up, even though I know its not a made up name.

[name]Jedidiah[/name] gets my vote. It reminds me more of a cowboy than a hillbilly.

I prefer [name]Jedidiah[/name]. It’s a solid Biblical name, and no, it doesn’t remind me of hillbillies.