Jedidiah vs. Jediah

What do you think of [name]Jedidiah[/name]? We love [name]Jed[/name]! But hubby doesn’t like [name]Jedidiah[/name] I don’t really either. Jediah ([name]Jeh[/name]-die-uh) Now we both like its a more uncommon Jewish name. It means God knows and protects. Opinions

I like the sound of Jediah better. But I don’t like the “die” sound in it. Also I feel like they might also get called [name]Jedidiah[/name] a lot.

I prefer [name]Jedidiah[/name]. Jediah, with the second syllable taken out, sounds like a “ghetto” name to me. It seems like it should be spelled Ja’Diah, but maybe it’s only because I know a guy named Ja’[name]Niah[/name]. I love the nickname [name]Jed[/name] though!

I find that [name]Jedidiah[/name] rolls off the tongue, whereas Jediah seems too abrupt to me.

If you like the sound of Jediah better I would say go for it. It’s a little more modern sounding than [name]Jedidiah[/name] and sound less like someone stuttering. [name]Jedidiah[/name] is a pretty long name and Jediah is more streamlined. Would you spell it Jediah or the traditional jedaiah?

You could use [name]Jed[/name] as a nickname even if the full name you pick doesn’t actually have the syllable “jed” in it. I was toying with the idea of naming my son [name]Gerald[/name] after my father and calling him [name]Jed[/name] or [name]Ged[/name]. Of course you could pick a much less frumpy name than [name]Gerald[/name] ([name]Judson[/name], [name]Jordan[/name], etc.) That said, I actually like [name]Jedidiah[/name] better than any of the three I just mentioned!