Jemima - thoughts?

I think you live in [name]England[/name] or Great [name]Britain[/name]. If you don’t live in the parts of the U.S. that can only think of syrup, [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] is a fabulous choice!

I see. I still think younger people-- and I’m generously lumping myself into this category-- are less likely to be scared off by the American history of the name. The name is more likely to be disliked simply because of its evocative pancake imagery. I think it’s older generations that have a harder time shaking the racial stereotype, but I could be wrong.

Honestly, I’m guessing that it’s just a matter of time before the name takes off in the U.S. It might not ever be popular or trendy, but all it would take is for some devil-may-care celebrity to name her adorable designer-clad kid [name]Jemima[/name] and then we’d all take the name a little less seriously, which would be good because I think the graveness of this poor name is being dwelt on a little too fervently.[/quote]

[name]ITA[/name]! I’m an [name]African[/name] American in my 20’s and I love the name [name]Jemima[/name]. The classic “mammy” image isn’t what first comes to mind for me. As to other generations, my mother and I have even discussed it (she’s in her 50’s) and she loves it too. Now I realize that we’re in the minority here. Most black people in this country probably wouldn’t be as thrilled as we would to meet a little [name]Jemima[/name]. But I do think that with the passage of time and the evolution of the [name]Jemima[/name] image in more recent years that the name’s negative associations are slowly becoming less powerful. [name]True[/name], they’re still there, but the present and future generations will have to [name]READ[/name] about [name]Jemima[/name]'s mammy image rather than SEE it for themselves on a shelf somewhere. That’s a big difference.

[name]Clara[/name],
Congratulations! I’m glad even to hear of a new little [name]Jemima[/name] (I always did think it would suit a redhead)! As long as her name is special to you and your husband, you won’t regret it.

Yay! I’m so happy to hear of Jemimas being born!! … especially if you’re from the States.

I see. I still think younger people-- and I’m generously lumping myself into this category-- are less likely to be scared off by the American history of the name. The name is more likely to be disliked simply because of its evocative pancake imagery. I think it’s older generations that have a harder time shaking the racial stereotype, but I could be wrong.

Honestly, I’m guessing that it’s just a matter of time before the name takes off in the U.S. It might not ever be popular or trendy, but all it would take is for some devil-may-care celebrity to name her adorable designer-clad kid [name]Jemima[/name] and then we’d all take the name a little less seriously, which would be good because I think the graveness of this poor name is being dwelt on a little too fervently.[/quote]

[name]ITA[/name]! I’m an [name]African[/name] American in my 20’s and I love the name [name]Jemima[/name]. The classic “mammy” image isn’t what first comes to mind for me. As to other generations, my mother and I have even discussed it (she’s in her 50’s) and she loves it too. Now I realize that we’re in the minority here. Most black people in this country probably wouldn’t be as thrilled as we would to meet a little [name]Jemima[/name]. But I do think that with the passage of time and the evolution of the [name]Jemima[/name] image in more recent years that the name’s negative associations are slowly becoming less powerful. [name]True[/name], they’re still there, but the present and future generations will have to [name]READ[/name] about [name]Jemima[/name]'s mammy image rather than SEE it for themselves on a shelf somewhere. That’s a big difference.

[name]Clara[/name],
Congratulations! I’m glad even to hear of a new little [name]Jemima[/name] (I always did think it would suit a redhead)! As long as her name is special to you and your husband, you won’t regret it.[/quote]

Thank God! [name]Even[/name] if you and your mom are in the minority, it’s still very encouraging to hear. It’s such an adorable, beautiful name. I agree that reading about the image and growing up with it might make the difference in the popularization of the name. Can I ask where you’re from? I’m sure that overall the American view of this name is negative, but I wonder if there are some regions that are a little more open to it than others.

clara and lized THANK YOU for loving [name]Jemima[/name]. It would be wonderful if you have created a groundswell of little [name]Jemima[/name]'s and put the bad images to rest.

Congratulations!

I just recently started loving it. I can’t seem to find a cute nickname for it though. [name]Jemma[/name]/Jema doesn’t seem nickname-ish enough, and [name]Jemi[/name]/[name]Jem[/name] is too obvious. I’ve been thinking about [name]Emmy[/name], or [name]Mimi[/name], but none of them really appeal to me. All in all though, I really love the [name]Jemima[/name]. (I originally thought it was Jemina, then I reread it and saw [name]Jemima[/name] and thus fell in love.)

We’re in South [name]Florida[/name], which is essentially a hotter version of the Northeast, culturally. I grew up here, but my mom grew up in Maryland, near D.C… Two very different environments, but same result! Things are pretty suburban-trendy down here, and in general parents aren’t as adventurous as say parents in NYC. But with our immigrant population coming from all over (South [name]America[/name], Central [name]America[/name], [name]Cuba[/name], Haiti, etc.) there are a lot of somewhat exotic names. I think you might actually be able to get away with [name]Jemima[/name] down here, depending on what circles you run in. In certain parts of [name]Miami[/name], say, it definitely would start some fights, though.

I’m so glad we’re not alone! I can’t wait to hear of little [name]Jemima[/name]'s popping up and changing people’s perceptions and attitudes.

I just wanted to say that I love this name. I am white and American. I have, surprisingly, found this name in both my husband’s and my own family tree. In mine, it showed up several times (one was born in 1846). I would love to see both the stigma of a slave name and an advertising name be overcome here in [name]America[/name] and see this beautiful biblical name being used again. By the way, our ancestors were Southern ([name]Virginia[/name], [name]West[/name] [name]Virginia[/name] -then VA, Kentucky) so it was used at least occasionally by white Southerners in the past regardless of any slave associations. Kudos to those responding here who have been brave enough to use this beautiful name on your beautiful daughters (or are seriously considering it).

Well, I’m relieved that you don’t live in the South. I currently live in [name]Alabama[/name], where my husband’s whole family is from. I don’t necessarily want my child to grow up here, but we’re here now and my in-laws will always be here. This is one of the deciding factors that made me give up on [name]Jemima[/name]. If we lived in [name]Miami[/name], FL or [name]Eugene[/name], OR [other places I’ve lived] I think this name would be a little easier to wear, but in a small town in [name]Alabama[/name], I’d really be asking for it. I think my husband’s family would be embarrassed to even say her name. If we end up using a conservative or classic first name, I think my husband might let me use [name]Jemima[/name] as a middle name. However, I have yet to run across a first name that I really like that goes well with it. Anyway, I’m glad there’s a beautiful little red-head out there with the name. Best of luck with it![/quote]

[name]Claire[/name] [name]Jemima[/name][/quote]

Sorry, [name]Susan[/name]. I forgot to respond to this. [name]Claire[/name] was on our list for a while, but I’ve sort of lost interest in it. It rhymes with our last name, which could be cute or it could just be really annoying. I also think [name]Claire[/name] is going to become even more popular than it already is. I think when the new name stats come out in [name]May[/name], [name]Claire[/name] will have jumped up quite a bit.

Lilacarose wrote:
I just recently started loving it. I can’t seem to find a cute nickname for it though.

My cousin [name]Jemima[/name] is called [name]Mima[/name]–very cute on her.

[name]Brynn[/name] [name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Honor[/name] [name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name] [name]Jemima[/name]

That whole racist sterotype is just baloney… you don’t see anyone eschewing the name [name]Ben[/name] or [name]Tom[/name], do you ? I named my daughter [name]Jemima[/name] 29 years ago, and have never regretted it. Neither has she. She didn’t get teased any more than anyone else… Go for it. The people who are negative about this name probably think [name]Madison[/name] and McKinzine are cool names…

[name]Jemima[/name] is a perfectly lovely, classic name. Nicknames [name]Jem[/name] and [name]Jemmie[/name] are adorable.

To hell with the prejudices of past generations ” it’s time we took back [name]Jemima[/name]! [name]Viva[/name] la Revoluti”n!

– [name]Nephele[/name]

Not my favorite

Hello, i just randomly googled my name and came across this post. My name is [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Winters[/name] and I love it x

Question- [name]Do[/name] you all consider [name]Jemima[/name] to be okay if it was a middle name?

I agree!

[name]Daniel[/name] [name]Boone[/name] had a daughter named [name]Jemima[/name].

Uhh… My name’s [name]Jemimah[/name] and I never got ridiculed for it. In fact, some of my classmates love it. I live in the U.S by the way… It probably depends on what area you live. I live by the suburbs… so… yeah