Jemima, Vera or Iris?

We’re having our first baby (we don’t know the gender) and we’re struggling to decide on a girls name. Top of the list at the moment are:
[name]Vera[/name], [name]Jemima[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]. [name]Emily[/name] will be the middle name.
Any thoughts on these names? Can you tell me which you like most? New ideas welcome too :smiley:

That’s so funny… my paternal grandmother’s name is [name]Vera[/name] [name]Iris[/name] and I actually love both names! With [name]Emily[/name] as a middle name, I prefer [name]Vera[/name] - the “s” in [name]Iris[/name] and “e” in [name]Emily[/name] kind of run together when I say it out loud so it sounds like “Irissemily.” I don’t like [name]Jemima[/name] and it has some negative connotations (at least here in the U.S.; I don’t know where you’re from). So I vote for [name]Vera[/name] [name]Emily[/name].

Some other names that are similar in style and sound nice with [name]Emily[/name]: [name]Althea[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]June[/name] and [name]Stella[/name].

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Emily[/name]

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Emily[/name] blends into each other, [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Emily[/name] has too many mmm’s so I have to go with [name]Vera[/name] [name]Emily[/name]. [name]Vera[/name] means “true” in Latin and “faith” in Russian so you can’t go wrong. It’s an underused name but strangely sounds fresh with all of the [name]Ava[/name]'s and [name]Isabella[/name]'s out there! All the best!

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Emily[/name] was my first choice, but I agree that it runs together. Therefore my choice would be [name]Vera[/name] [name]Emily[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Vera[/name]! I love it. It’s easy to say and spell, but still very uncommon. My second choice would be [name]Iris[/name], with [name]Jemima[/name] a distant third- I think of Aunt [name]Jemima[/name] too much, and [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Emily[/name] is very m-heavy

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Emily[/name] is absolutely gorgeous! I don’t see the fuss about it running together-- after all, they’re two totally distinct names, and how often will the first/middle combo be said anyway? And I guess I’m a little biased since [name]Iris[/name] is my middle name, but I far prefer it over your other choices. [name]Jemima[/name] is definitely unusable in the US (it’s probably not a problem elsewhere, if you’re not American). [name]Vera[/name] is okay but doesn’t really excite me. It’s a bit nicknamey, and pronunciation could be an issue (veer-a vs. vair-a). Plus, [name]Vera[/name] [name]Emily[/name] is kind of hard to say.

I actually think [name]Iris[/name] [name]Emily[/name] sounds really nice. [name]Even[/name] though [name]Vera[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] both have a vintage vibe, I think [name]Iris[/name] sounds prettier and fresher than [name]Vera[/name]. [name]Jemima[/name] is really cute, and I like it a lot with [name]Emily[/name]. I think my first choice would be [name]Iris[/name], followed by [name]Jemima[/name]. Good luck!

[name]Hi[/name] -

Here are comments on each combination:

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Emily[/name] – I agree with the pp that this combo is too M heavy – to the point that it really detracts from the overall name.

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Emily[/name] – I love [name]Iris[/name], and I like this combination; although, I agree that they COULD be slurred together. However, it’s fine when clearly pronounced or with the tiniest fraction of a second between them.

[name]Vera[/name] [name]Emily[/name] – Not crazy about [name]Vera[/name], but the combination does flow nicely.

If it’s a choice between these names, I think you should decide based on whether you like [name]Iris[/name] or [name]Vera[/name] best as a first name. If you like them equally well, then maybe go with [name]Vera[/name] due to the flow. Personally, I would choose [name]Iris[/name] [name]Emily[/name]. My enthusiasm for this combo keeps growing the more I look at it and think about it. It’s beautiful!

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Emily[/name]. I really like it. I don’t think it runs together more than any other two names. They sound distinct to me, and I like the combo.

I like [name]Jemima[/name], but I think I’m rather in the minority. I think it’s a great name, and it is time to move past being embarrassed it was sometimes used as a slave name in the States. The slaves often had beautiful names. This is one of them. In Britian this name has classy connotations, and it’s one of the Biblical names, like [name]Abigail[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name], that just goes on and on because its a nice, complex, interesting word with plenty of nn choices.

I’m warming to [name]Vera[/name], but I’m not hot yet. It’s not that I don’t like [name]Vera[/name] [name]Emily[/name], it’s more that I like [name]Iris[/name] [name]Emily[/name] better.

[name]Vera[/name] [name]Emily[/name] for sure! I think [name]Vera[/name] is such a beautiful and underused name - its really lovely.

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Emily[/name] is beautiful! The combo of [name]Jemima[/name] + [name]Emily[/name] seems a little “wordy”. Not crazy about [name]Vera[/name]…always think of Aloe [name]Vera[/name].

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Emily[/name]

My grandma is [name]Vera[/name]. She goes exclusively by “Vee” and it’s a great name. In her honor, we named our daughter [name]Silvie[/name]. We considered using [name]Vera[/name], but we didn’t want to give her the exact same name as a living relative. [name]Vera[/name] does have a “severe” sound that we weren’t sure about, but I think that makes it a very distinctive strong name. I hope you use it!

love [name]Vera[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]. can’t go wrong with either one, though I do think [name]Vera[/name] [name]Emily[/name] might sound better.

I love [name]Vera[/name]. It’s at the top of my list right now. I totally agree with another poster who said that it’s unusual, simple to pronounce and easy to spell. it’s the trifecta!

seriously though, [name]Vera[/name] [name]Emily[/name] is great.

[name]Jemima[/name] has all the class, sparkle, femininity and charisma for me, I think it leaves [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Vera[/name] in the dark. The nn’s are great too [name]Jem[/name]/[name]Jemma[/name]/[name]Mimi[/name].