Jemma?

[name_f]Gemma[/name_f] is one of my favorite names. It’s so similar to [name_f]Emma[/name_f], yet has a completely different feel to me. It’s got this rich, sophisticated yet familiar vibe that I adore. But on one of my favorite TV shows (Agents of SHIELD, anyone?) there is a character named [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] and because of that I now find myself drawn to this spelling. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it’s pronounced exactly the same, [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] feels softer and more gentle to me and I feel more emotionally attached to it because of the character. But would a [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] be condemned to a life of spelling her name to everyone? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think that’s a deal breaker? What’s your opinion on [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] vs [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]?

1 Like

Personally I do prefer [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], but [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] is nice as well! I think in the 90s both ranked in [name_f]England[/name_f] and [name_m]Wales[/name_m] (at least for part of the decade!), I seem to remember seeing it when I was looking at the data sheets for the decade.

I think it’d be a lot of “[name_f]Jemma[/name_f] with a J” but that isn’t too difficult of an explanation, imo (coming from a [name_u]Haley[/name_u] who has to constantly spell her name lol).

3 Likes

If I’m being completely honest, I’ll have to admit that [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] seems unnecessary complicated to me. I’m one of these people who have to spell their name all of the time, and trust me, it can get on your nerves really quickly. Unless there is a specific reason why you don’t want to use the original spelling, I’d go with [name_f]Gemma[/name_f].

[name_f]Gemma[/name_f] seems more intuitive since the name means “precious gem.” [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] kind of seems like a misspelling to me.

I do like [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] more, just because “[name_f]Gem[/name_f]” is better than “[name_u]Jem[/name_u],” in my opinion. I think she would have to correct spellings a lot, but just saying that it is spelled with a "J’’ wouldn’t be hard.

I prefer [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], and will generally default to the most traditional unconventional spelling, but onestly I think there are far worse fates than being “[name_f]Gemma[/name_f] with a J.” This one feels easy enough to correct people on as to not be insufferable.

Definitely [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. I do like [name_u]Jem[/name_u] though

I prefer [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] and i think it would be much easier, though [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] isn’t terrible or too difficult

Same here! @jonquils, you said it perfectly. [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] is unexpectedly wonderful!

1 Like

I slightly prefer [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], but if you like [name_f]Jemma[/name_f], I think it’s very useable! “[name_f]Gemma[/name_f] with a J” isn’t very difficult at all, and [name_f]Jenna[/name_f] lends it a little familiarity!

1 Like

[name_f]Jemma[/name_f] is cute, and has an intuitive spelling, as in most people will be able to pronounce it immediately. But even super common names like [name_f]Katie[/name_f]/[name_f]Cady[/name_f] or [name_f]Ally[/name_f]/[name_u]Allie[/name_u] often require spelling. From experience I know that “[name_f]Paige[/name_f]” is very often asked, “do you spell it with an “i”?” Which kind of dumbfounds me until I remember that some people simply don’t know! I wouldn’t let it deter me.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] feels a little like the Duggar family naming their daughter [name_f]Jinger[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Ginger[/name_f].

I love the name but I don’t like that spelling. It’s [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] all the way for me.

[name_f]Jemma[/name_f] is my name! I’m in the UK and its pretty much as established as [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] here, It got to around 170 in the charts during the early 2000s and has since gone off them completely. I do have to say “[name_f]Gemma[/name_f] with a J” or spell it out for pretty much everyone I meet, but that doesn’t really bother me, you have to do that with a lot of names and it’s very easy to correct. I love my name and I like that it’s a bit different and phonetic. Hate it when people say its a misspelling or trying to be “yoonique” when it’s a name in its own right.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! I’m so glad you love your name - I adore [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] as this is the name of my favorite character on one of my favorite TV shows that I’ve been watching for 6 years, she’s a brilliant British firecracker of a scientist and just seeing the name brings a smile to my face because I’ve adored the character for so long! I’m generally not a big fan of “yoonique” spellings but [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] doesn’t feel that way at all to me, and I actually genuinely think it looks softer and nicer with a J :heart:

We all gotta spell our names. You like [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] better so I say go with it. That’s the version that was more popular in [name_u]America[/name_u].

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] I think think it’s prettier and has a more simplistic quality whereas [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] I think would constantly correct the spelling of the name.