Jennifer

Jessica | Jacqueline

Since S/O has limited the number of J names I can use (he already has a J name and doesn’t want to start an unintentional theme or make it look like we’re going for the Dugg@r family lineup), I’m trying to determine which of the three J names I like for girls are the best bet for me.

Currently, I’m just looking to gather general opinions of each of the three, and will likely make a poll at a later time if there’s still two I’m between!

Jennifer is next on my list. I love the 80s pop culture connections - Family Ties and Back to the Future are two of my favourite things in general and both have pretty cool Jennifers. It fits my teen in the 80s vibes as the #1 name of the 1970s, and it has a bit of a modern classic vibe to it as well, thanks to 50s screen actress Jennifer Jones and the George Bernard Shaw connection, which fits in well with my two “definite” choices: Elizabeth and Stephanie. It also shortens to Jenna or Jenny, which I quite like (Jenny especially “clicks” with the chosen nicknames for Elizabeth and Stephanie - Lizzie and Steffie).

Jennifer is also still in the US top 1000 alongside Elizabeth and Stephanie, in the sweet spot within the top 500.

My only real concern is that Jennifer may not be ready for a comeback? There was a website back in the late 1990s (closed in 2000) called “Society for the Prevention of Parents Naming Their Children Jennifer” and I see others who grew up in the 70s/80s comment about the fact that there were so many, but is it an issue now in the 2020s?

What are your thoughts about Jennifer?

Thanks!

I’m not a big fan of [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] honestly. I have just had so many teachers and friends’ moms named Jennifer/Jen that that is all I can think of. I just counted and [name_m]Ive[/name_m] had 9 professors named Jen/Jennifer in college so far. However, [name_f]Jenny[/name_f] is super cute!! I adore [name_f]Jenny[/name_f], just not [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] or [name_f]Jen[/name_f].

[name_f]My[/name_f] neighbors growing up were [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] and [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] “Jenny” so they definitely go well together and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] fits too!

1 Like

[name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] does have a distinct sound and I’d be surprised to meet a baby [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] today! I don’t think it’s a bad name at all, but I do prefer [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] and [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] out of your choices

1 Like

I can only see [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] on a 30-50 year old, woman-not a child. It is too tied to the 80’s (which I know you like that style, but there are fresher names common then, like [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], that work better today). I don’t think it’s ready for a comeback, but I’m one person, so you should go with the name that YOU love.

2 Likes

With some thought, I think Jennifer could work today! A sweet, funky little girl could totally rock it! The nickname Jenny is so sweet as well!

1 Like

I think Jennifer has to be my preference after reading through each of your posts. It just sounds like there’s a lot more warmth and energy in the way you talk about Jennifer. It also seems like you have a lot of confidence in what you love about the name so I don’t think it matters if others are ready for Jennifer to make a comeback or not. I find that names are so much more endearing when I actually meet them on a little person and I suspect others would end up feeling the same way about Jennifer as well.

I get what you’re saying about Jennifer’s popularity in the 1970s and 1980s. It was a naming phenomenon that marked a whole generation but I wouldn’t think that mentality would be relevant for a Jennifer born today. The context has changed. Jennifer on a baby today is an unexpected and retro choice. She’s not one of many nor is she part of a huge naming trend because her name is will only be compared to the names of her peers. But one big positive about Jennifer’s popularity is that is makes her extremely versatile.

2 Likes

[name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] is so sweet! I absolutely think it could work today

1 Like

I would be intrigued to meet a little girl named [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], but I wouldn’t be wowed or impressed by the name because I do know so many women named [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite of your choices is still [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]!

1 Like

I agree with @kachenka - having read all three of your J name posts, your description of [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] is the warmest and most excited. I think it goes wonderfully with [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], and I wouldn’t let past or present popularity get in the way of using the name you love best!

1 Like

I’m not a fan to be honest, it’s just far too 80’s for me - I instantly pair it with [name_f]Heather[/name_f] in my mind. However, the same reason I dislike it is the same reason you like it, so not sure how relevant my opinion on it is. From your other options, I much prefer [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. [name_f]Jen[/name_f] or [name_f]Jenny[/name_f] are super cute though.

1 Like

After reading all the responses on my three posts carefully and talking it over with S/O, I think my heart does lie with [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] in the J name debate! :heartbeat:

Thank you so much to everyone for helping me gain perspective on this. I agree @kachenka & @Luminen - reading it back, my description of [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] does have a lot more reasons why I love her than the other two names did!

4 Likes