Jenny!

Yes, I know [name]Jennifer[/name] is uber dated. But I’ve always loved the nickname [name]Jenny[/name]. My middle name is Jenness, which is a family name. What do you think of using it as a first name? See I’ve often thought of going by it myself, but [name]Jen[/name] is so common in my generation that it seems too lame. But [name]Jenny[/name]/[name]Jen[/name] won’t be common at all in the coming generation, right? Plus the full name would be Jenness and not [name]Jennifer[/name]…

[name]Lyndsay[/name] if you choose Jenness you are buying into a pattern of using unisex styles names for future siblings. I would encourage you to either carry on the tradition of using Jenness in the mn spot or using [name]Jenna[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name] or similar in the first name spot as a way of honouring the name.

Thanks for the reply [name]Rollo[/name]! What you said had not occurred to me at all. I used to think of Jenness as unisex, but many people have told me that it’s very feminine, though it is a surname. [name]Dashiell[/name] is really not unisex, but sometimes people do think it’s a girls name. And it’s also a surname.

I probably would not ever use Jenness as a first name, anyway. I just think [name]Jenny[/name] is so sweet, and the [name]Nessa[/name] option is there as well, which I like.

Thanks so much for your input!

I actually quite like the idea! I think it’s very sweet, and reminds me of ‘[name]Janice[/name]’ except exponentially nicer

I also know a [name]Geneva[/name] who goes by [name]Jen[/name], perhaps that appeals to you.

I actually like the idea of Jenness as a first name for a girl! And what great nicknames, [name]Jenny[/name] or [name]Nessa[/name]. Plus, it would honor you and your family.

Thanks, I’m glad you guys like it! [name]Just[/name] curious, how would you pronounce it? Because growing up no one could ever say it right after just reading it. I think it’s very straightforward though.

My husband says he doesn’t like it as a first name. I’d love to use it at least as a middle… actually, I hope my brother uses it because that would continue the family tradition most accurately… but he’s not close to having kids and he would never listen to me anyway!

It’s staying on my list, because I would love a little [name]Jenny[/name]!

[name]Rollo[/name]!
As usual you are excellent and thinking ahead with siblings.

I must say i totally agree. I am a bit partial though as i like long classic names so genevieve etc… would be more my choice but on the other hand, it is your choice entirely…I just think its lovely to have so many good opinions

Best of luck

Oh my gosh! I was just thinking about [name]Jenny[/name] the other day, because I watched [name]Forrest[/name] Gump. (I love it when [name]Jenny[/name] says, “Rrruhhn, Faaaaw-risssst! Rrrruhn!”) The little [name]Jenny[/name] in the movie is such a sweetheart, and so adorable.

Anyway, I’ve always thought that [name]Jenny[/name] was a really sweet name. I only know one [name]Jenny[/name] who is named [name]Jenny[/name] and not [name]Jennifer[/name], and I always thought it had such a sweet vintage feel. [name]Jennifer[/name] and [name]Jenna[/name] (many of whom are called [name]Jenny[/name]) are still pretty popular though, so if popularity is an issue for you, it may not be the best choice.

I love the idea of using Jenness in the middle, because you could still call her [name]Jenny[/name] for short if you wanted to. I love [name]Magnolia[/name] Jenness, [name]Luella[/name] Jenness, etc. (I can’t remember all of the names on your list, but I know those two are there.) :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

My name is [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Lynne[/name] and I have gone by [name]Jenny[/name] since birth. In the mid 80s in elementary school, I was one of many but I agree that no one names their daughters [name]Jennifer[/name] anymore. I got slammed by comments when [name]Forrest[/name] Gump came out but I like to think of it as an All American girls name.