Jessica

Jennifer | Jacqueline

Since S/O has limited the number of J names I can use (he already has a J name and doesn’t want to start an unintentional theme or make it look like we’re going for the Dugg@r family lineup), I’m trying to determine which of the three J names I like for girls are the best bet for me. This is name one of three!

I currently only have 2 girls names that are definite on my list - Stephanie and Elizabeth. Both are S/O approved, somewhat classic, with 80s teen movie-esque vibes, and are still relatively well used, with little room for misspellings and mispronunciations.

One name I’ve been considering, as it’s one of S/O’s top choices, is Jessica. Jessica feels slightly different from Elizabeth, but I feel like Stephanie bridges the gap between them?

Jessica also reminds me of Sweet Valley High, which I used to love reading as a kid - the books featured twins named Jessica and Elizabeth, and the series began in 1983, which would cover my 80s teen vibe, even if it’s a somewhat obscure connection.

I’m not a fan of the nn Jessie, and I could live with Jess if we were to shorten it, although I much prefer the full Jessica.

What are your thoughts on Jessica? Is it an issue if I don’t like Jessie as a nn? Does Jessica fit well with Stephanie and Elizabeth?

Thanks!

1 Like

i think Jessica fits really well with Stephanie and Elizabeth! it has the exact same feel as Stephanie to me

however, i think there’s a pretty good chance you’d end up with the nn Jessie. others could nn her when she’s a kid and it could stick, or she could want to go by Jessie when she’s older. so that’s definitely something to consider!
but if you did end up with a Jessica nn Jessie, i think the nn Jessie would grow on you a lot more, since you’d associate it so much with your child!

1 Like

I’m not the biggest fan of Jessica, but it has been growing on me lately! I also love it for you! I think it goes great with Elizabeth and especially Stephanie. I think Jessica is more of a bridge between Elizabeth and Stephanie than the other way, but of course that is up to interpretation.

Maybe you’d like Jessa as a potential nickname? I don’t think not liking Jessie is a huge issue, as not every Jessica is a Jessie!

1 Like

I agree that for me it’s more [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] that bridges the gap, I think the three work together really well. I have a [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] close to me who never, ever gets [name_u]Jessie[/name_u], only either full name or [name_u]Jess[/name_u]. But I think you’d have to be prepared for that perhaps happening, in my experience people will shorten names whether you like it or not and won’t necessarily stick to your pre-approved shortened form, unless you basically introduce them as that, always call them that and the long version is really just a formality for the birth certificate. So if you really hate [name_u]Jessie[/name_u], I’d perhaps think again. If you can live with it, then go for it.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] fits perfectly well with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]! Definitely feeling your vibe with those three together. :slight_smile:

Only one of the Jessicas I’ve known went by “Jessie”. Everyone else was [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] in full, occasionally [name_u]Jess[/name_u], so I don’t think that would be an issue for you. I doubt anyone would call her [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] if she didn’t introduce herself as such.

1 Like

As a [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] born in the 90s and always not the only [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] in the classroom, it did take time but I do like my name and think it fits me.

I highly dislike [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] and will correct every person I meet that it’s [name_u]Jess[/name_u] or [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], never [name_u]Jessie[/name_u], other than that, it’s not an issue. With that being said my mother’s intent was to call me [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] without a nickname but things happened and mostly my family calls me [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] while every else calls me [name_u]Jess[/name_u].

[name_f]Jessica[/name_f] definitely goes with [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and I’d love nothing more than to see little Jessica’s running around again since it’s not as common.

1 Like

[name_f]Jessica[/name_f] is fun and cool and goes well with your set!!

Most of the Jessicas I’ve known have been called [name_u]Jess[/name_u] rather than [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] as a nickname

2 Likes

[name_f]Jessica[/name_f] fits with your style and names so well!

All of the Jessicas I have known, they go by [name_u]Jess[/name_u]. I haven’t met a single one who goes by [name_u]Jessie[/name_u], so I really wouldn’t worry about this. But, I do think you have to be OK with all possible nicknames before you commit to a name, just in case she wants to call herself [name_u]Jessie[/name_u].

1 Like

I really think [name_u]Jess[/name_u] and [name_f]Steffie[/name_f] are cuter together than [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] and [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], but that is just my own opinion! Have you considered [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] as a nickname? I think it’s sweet.

[name_f]Steffie[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] and [name_u]Jess[/name_u]
[name_f]Steffie[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] and [name_u]Jess[/name_u]

1 Like

I think it goes great with your style and your other girl names! I’m going to caution the same thing I do for anyone who doesn’t like an obvious, common nickname from a full name—and [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] is an obvious, common nickname. If she comes home at 13 and has decided she wants to go by [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] from then on, would you be able to call her that without cringing? If the answer is no, then I don’t think this is the name for you. FWIW, I don’t know a single [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] who didn’t go by Jessi/e.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree with this.

Thanks everyone!

RE: [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] - if she were to choose it herself one day, that’d be ok, and I’d fully respect that choice of hers, but, until that day comes, I’d likely just use the full form or [name_u]Jess[/name_u]! I wouldn’t cringe, but I also wouldn’t go out of my way to use it if I didn’t need to (obviously if she asked though, then I would have to!) . If a family member were to call her [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] when she’s still young though, I’d likely correct them, but again, if it’s her choice to go by it, then I have no issues with it :slight_smile:

Also, I do like [name_f]Jessa[/name_f], but it rhymes with my niece’s name, so I’ve vetoed it because of that, otherwise it would have been my choice!

[name_f]Jessica[/name_f] is nice! I know lots of Jessica’s and most go by Jessica/Jess, not [name_u]Jessie[/name_u]. The ones who go by [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] go solely by [name_u]Jessie[/name_u], but the ones who go by [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] are often shortened by people to [name_u]Jess[/name_u]. I hope that makes sense!

1 Like

Jessica feels more dated and less wearable today compared to Jennifer imo, but I know that your style is very 80s, so I’m trying to take that into account. I do think it could work, especially with Jess or Jessie as a nickname.

1 Like

i really love jessica— i think it’s a wonderful, versatile & lovely name. i actually think jessica nn kika or kiki would be really sweet, or even essa? essie? iggy? i feel like jessica deserves a spicier nickname!

i grew up with 101 jessicas (it seemed) and they were all very different people. i love that jessica is shakespearean, used in many different cultures, and feels both glamorous & homey!

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] works well with your names. You can’t limit what nicknames your child, or their peers come up with for them, which means [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] is a possibility that could hold you back from this name. I do think [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] is dated, but it could still work IMO.

1 Like

I’m not a massive fan of [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] for me the name feels bit I dunno blah. I prefer [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]. However I think [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] does bridge the gap nicely between [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] & [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] they do work really well together. Regarding [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] you can’t really control nicknames unfortunately so try not be too concerned.

1 Like

[name_f]Jessica[/name_f] is my favorite of your 3 J name options. I think shortening to [name_u]Jess[/name_u] seems much more common than [name_u]Jessie[/name_u], and you could definitely avoid [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] if you don’t like it.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], I’ve never met one I didn’t like. 70-80’s baby names make a comeback time!

Also my sister and I have other two names on your list. I think a [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] would’ve fit with us.

2 Likes

[name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] is my favourite with [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f].

Would you consider [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] as an alternative to [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] are 80’s retro but long beautiful and amazing nickname potential. [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] also give you [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] , [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] , Sam/ [name_u]Sammie[/name_u] , [name_f]Jane[/name_f] as nn

1 Like