Jinx?

I am not at all superstitious but I think the name on its own is dreadful and the combination of naming your child [name]Jinx[/name] on Friday the 13th is downright cruel. It seems like completely mocking your own child. I would go back to the drawing board. Sorry.

Well, I’m not surprised the majority hate this one :slight_smile: I actually didn’t know it had a negative connotation until I looked it up in the dictionary. I’ve only heard it used in real life as something people say when they both say the same thing at the same time. As for names like Trial…I almost used that before! Trial, Mourning, and Blessing have all been in the running in the past. My daughter [name]Crimson[/name] has a word name. It was the only name her father and I could agree on. I picked it because it is something everyone can easily spell, it’s unusual (her last name is one of the 5 most common in the US) and it doesn’t really have any nicknames. When I started sounding it out on people before she was born, I heard a lot of “it sounds like a streetwalker” “ugh…that makes me think of blood” “are you expecting her to strip for a living?”

But the funny thing is, now that she’s here, she gets complimented on her name all the time…and I’ve met 4 others so far who are close to her age. I’ve only had one person in 12 years say the stripper comment out loud. So I guess I get to wonder if people still have that reaction and they compliment her because they feel bad for her or if meeting the kid changes the perception of the name for them.

This [name]Crimson[/name] experience leaves me wondering the same things about if I were to use the name [name]Jinx[/name].

I also doubt that anyone would notice my baby being born on Friday the 13th. My birthday is also the 13th and I [name]LOVE[/name] when it falls on a Friday. It’s fun :slight_smile: Anyways, I appreciate all the comments, both positive and negative! It might help me convince my husband that it would be better to use as a nn so she could have a proper name to fall back on if she ends up too stodgy to carry around [name]Jinx[/name].

What about Binx? Although that was the name of a guy turned cat/cat turned guy something in the Disney flick Hocus Pocus.

I don’t think you can be serious about naming your baby [name]Jinx[/name]. I know that people like what I call the X factor and that is fine, and yes it is an easy word to say but the meaning of bad luck would be a terrible burden for a child to manage.

To be honest the first thing that came to my mind was the cat in the movie “Meet the parents” ; Mr. [name]Jinx[/name]… “jinxy cat, Jinxy cat where are you”? LOL! I just can not see it on a baby/child or adult… but that’s just me.

I kind of like it in the middle, its fun

I adore [name]Jinx[/name]! It’s a guilty pleasure of mine though I would seriously consider using it as a middle name! Well, to be honest I am considering it as a second middle name for [name]Alice[/name] [name]Monroe[/name]. I really love [name]Alice[/name] [name]Monroe[/name] [name]Jinx[/name], but I still have a few other options. :3

[name]Just[/name] say No to [name]Jinx[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t do that to your child when there are SO MANY great names out there. [name]Just[/name] please choose another name for your sweet baby!!!

It is tough enough to grow up in this world today so the easier you can make it for your children the BETTER. [name]Don[/name]'t give her 1 strike at birth!!!