Joan?

Lately, I’ve had a bit of a name crush on [name]Joan[/name]. It’s not really my usual style (though I am looking for a one-syllable J name to honour several [name]Janes[/name] in our family). But there’s definitely something I like about [name]Joan[/name], it seems so bold and confident to me, probably because it reminds me of [name]Joan[/name] [name]Jett[/name], [name]Joan[/name] of [name]Arc[/name] and [name]Joan[/name] from Mad Men! What do you think about [name]Joan[/name]? Or other one syllable-J names: [name]Jane[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Jean[/name] or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help :slight_smile:

I really want to like [name]Joan[/name], but I can’t get on board with it for some reason. It doesn’t sound as fresh as [name]Jane[/name] or [name]June[/name] to me (both of which I love). To me, [name]Jean[/name] is not as dated as [name]Joan[/name] but not as pretty as [name]Jane[/name] or [name]June[/name].

I love [name]Joan[/name]. To me (maybe because I knew so many when I was in publishing), she’s strong and talented, and a good writer.
I love [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Jean[/name] as well, and wish we could go back to some of the strong simple names of our past…

I really, really love [name]Jane[/name]. [name]June[/name] is cute but I would put it in the middle. [name]Joan[/name] is adorable too ([name]Joanie[/name]!) but it just doesn’t feel old-enough-to-be-modern-again to me.

I think [name]Joan[/name] would be very refreshing on a baby girl. It’s strong, feminine, and just a little spunky. [name]Jane[/name] is my favorite one-syllable “J” name though.

I’m not on board with [name]Joan[/name]. I just don’t find it pretty at all, not like [name]Jane[/name] or [name]June[/name]. [name]Jean[/name] is alright, but only as a middle. But [name]Joan[/name]…just dull and unpleasant. (Then again, I don’t like any of the ‘oan/one’ sounds - [name]Simone[/name], [name]Mona[/name], [name]Sloane[/name], [name]Joan[/name] - they all sound moan-y).

I like [name]Joan[/name] (Mad Men really freshened it up for me, too). I like it better than [name]Jean[/name], and while I do love [name]June[/name] and [name]Jane[/name], I think that they have really caught the upswing in interest where [name]Joan[/name] still feels rather undiscovered…

I like [name]Joan[/name] a lot but dh doesn’t. I think I’d push for it but our last baby was [name]James[/name] and I don’t think I want two J names in a row.

[name]Just[/name] this weekend I was thinking about [name]Joan[/name] and looked at the beyond 1000 data and was so startled to see there were only 60 baby Joans in 2010 and 63 in 2011.

Of this group of names, my favorite is [name]Jean[/name] - I think it’s so unexpected and pretty as a first name, and it’s a top contender if I have another daughter. I also like [name]Jane[/name] and [name]June[/name] a lot. I want to like [name]Joan[/name], but it still seems a little frumpy to me. :confused:

I love all of these one-syllable “J” names for different reasons. I love [name]Jane[/name] for its simplicity and literary association. I love [name]June[/name] for its springlike warmth and vitality. I love [name]Jean[/name] for its sassy spunk and unisex quality. And finally, I love [name]Joan[/name] for its soft, ladylike elegance and vintage chic. Its “solid ordinariness” is part of [name]Joan[/name]'s gentle charm. I guess that’s why I like [name]Ruth[/name] too! [name]Both[/name] [name]Joan[/name] and [name]Ruth[/name] are no frills, no-nonsense grown-up names and the world is so youth-obsessed that we’re in dire need of some maturity and wisdom.

I’m in love with [name]Ruth[/name] too! And it’s another one dh doesn’t get.

[name]Joan[/name] is old lady boring but [name]Jane[/name] is stunning!

I love [name]Jane[/name]. Like, way too much and I’m not going to get to use it in real life most likely. But it’s a much lighter sound/feel to me than [name]Joan[/name], [name]Joan[/name] is a serious name of substance and [name]Jane[/name] feels more lighthearted and less pious.

I like [name]Joan[/name] second best, prefer it to [name]Jean[/name], and I prefer [name]Jean[/name] to [name]June[/name], which is flat last for me.

Sinéad and [name]Juanita[/name] are my favourites of the international [name]Jane[/name] options. I remember [name]Juanita[/name] as a baby name plot-mention in a [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Maud[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name] novel, which made me reevaluate it’s vintage qualities, if it was already well-enough known in turn-of-the-century Canadian villages. :wink:

(The baby ended up named Marigold though)

I love [name]Joan[/name] - it was my grandmother’s name and she was a remarkable woman - so I’m a bit bias :slight_smile:

I also like [name]Jean[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] - [name]June[/name] just doesn’t appeal.

[name]Joan[/name] is gorgeous as is also [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Jean[/name], I’m not a fan of [name]June[/name] it seems less subtantial as a name to me. But they all have that vintage charm, and the simplicity that offers a bit of punch. If I had to pick a favourite it would be [name]Joan[/name], followed by [name]Jane[/name]'s sweetness.

I know a bunch of guys named [name]Joan[/name] (a few with a DZ sound at the start, and one with a Y sound) so I see it as a guy name, too… and kind of prefer it that way. I love [name]June[/name], though.
ETA: And [name]Joy[/name] and [name]Joyce[/name]!

I think [name]Joan[/name] is great. I like the [name]Joan[/name] of [name]Arc[/name] association best. I like the other J names as well, but [name]Jane[/name] will always be “Plain [name]Jane[/name]” in my head, so I think it’s best as a middle. [name]June[/name] is great but I’ve come to prefer [name]Juna[/name] and [name]Junia[/name].

I used to not be a fan of [name]Joan[/name], but I’ve come around. It’s a solid, pretty, strong female name. I think it’ll come back into style in a few years, if it’s not starting to already. Of course, I like [name]Jane[/name] too (a little boring, but still pretty and classic). Not a fan of [name]Jean[/name] at all… and [name]June[/name] is okay (prefer it for a middle name).

I like [name]Joan[/name], but my favourite will always be [name]Jean[/name], followed by [name]Juno[/name] (well, I know it’s not one syllable), [name]Jeanne[/name] (after [name]Jeanne[/name] d’arc, the real french version of [name]Joan[/name] of arc), and [name]Jane[/name].

I really like [name]Joan[/name], [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Jean[/name]. they are classic names.