John - a strong classic, but too boring?

It’s the type of name that’s sort of outside of popularity since it’s so ubiquitous. It’s hard to say that I like or dislike it. It would be like not liking water, lol.

It’s the sort that you’ll never get a comment about. I can’t imagine anyone ever saying, “yikes! [name_m]John[/name_m]?” or “[name_m]John[/name_m]? where’d that come from?”. It’s not bad or good really, it’s just fine.

If you really love it, then go for it! It’s not something anyone could sneer at unless they’re snooty.

I love the name [name_m]John[/name_m]. I work with kids, and I don’t meet that many anymore, so I don’t think of it as being all that common. It’s a refreshing change from [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]-[name_m]Caiden[/name_m]-[name_u]Brayden[/name_u]-[name_u]Jaden[/name_u] etc.

I don’t dislike it, but yes, I do think it’s boring. Then again I find most of the classics ([name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_m]Michael[/name_m], et c.) boring. [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] makes it slightly more interesting, but then you sort of lose the nickname [name_m]Jack[/name_m], which I actually prefer slightly to [name_m]John[/name_m].

I agree with all of this.

I like [name_m]John[/name_m]. I find [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] adorable on a boy, and [name_m]John[/name_m] very wearable on pretty much any type of man. It’s also the given name of one of my heroes and two of my favourite musicians. I prefer naming after people’s first names than last names.

It can be [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] or [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. That’s a nice flexibility. [name_f]Every[/name_f] third newborn boy out here (Australia) seems to be being named [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]Jackson[/name_m], or [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m], but [name_m]John[/name_m] itself is underused and feels relatively refreshing.

I do find [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] softer but [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] has a different, unrelated meaning/background and the spelling [name_m]Johnathan[/name_m] drives me insaaaane with rage. [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] suffers from being confused with the more evergreen [name_m]John[/name_m], honestly. And calling a [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] [name_m]Jack[/name_m] kinda doesn’t work for me, only [name_m]Jon[/name_m] or [name_m]Jonny[/name_m].

Hmm…
I actually love the name [name_m]John[/name_m]! [name_m]John[/name_m] is family name and I love the fact that [name_m]John[/name_m] has so many historical connotations and associations. [name_m]John[/name_m] is a lovely handsome choice and yes maybe in the 80s [name_m]John[/name_m] was popular but in all honesty I haven’t met any [name_m]John[/name_m]'s under the age of 15 which means (in my eyes) that he isn’t popular. I think [name_m]John[/name_m] is like one of my other favourite name’s [name_f]Jane[/name_f], she feels popular because once-upon-a-time [name_f]Jane[/name_f] was used for every other girl. But now she just isn’t popular instead a refreshing choice. I also like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] but I understand that maybe [name_m]John[/name_m] & [name_f]Mary[/name_f] don’t work well together associations etc but maybe [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] would work.

When I think of [name_m]John[/name_m], I immediately imagine a 40+ year old man. Someone who is very conservative and outdoorsy. I went to school with several [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]'s called [name_m]Jon[/name_m] or [name_m]Johnny[/name_m], no [name_m]John[/name_m]'s.

I like classic names too but [name_m]John[/name_m] is a little boring. It isn’t as boring as something like [name_m]George[/name_m] though. I like [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] better. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is way too boring for me.