Jonathan .....but still searching for alternative

[name]Hi[/name], we are expecting a baby boy this [name]August[/name], our second child. We kinda like [name]Jonathan[/name] but not so sure… still searching for alternatives. What do you thing about [name]Jonathan[/name]? Getting boy’s name is surely much harder than I thought. We want it to be strong and elegant. Btw, our first child is [name]Victoria[/name].

1 Like

I do like [name]Jonathan[/name], but I thought it sounded dated, so I looked it up on nameberry. [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] write that it’s losing its luster. I do think it’s really handsome, though.

What about [name]Nathaniel[/name] or [name]Nathan[/name]? They’re both popular, but at least to me, they feel fresher than [name]Jonathan[/name].

I think [name]Victoria[/name] is really pretty. :slight_smile:

[name]Victoria[/name] and:

[name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name] (nn [name]Finn[/name])
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I prefer [name]John[/name] to [name]Jonathan[/name], but I don’t see that there’s anything wrong with [name]Jonathan[/name]. It sort of seemed to come up as one of those names you hear in full, when it seemed parents didn’t like to use nicknames and “just [name]John[/name]” was too abrupt, [name]Jonathan[/name] was gentler and had some pizazz. I think boys named [name]John[/name] now are likely to be called [name]Jack[/name], while [name]Jonathan[/name] is still [name]Jon[/name], which may account for its sounding a little more dated. I still like it, it seems normal to me and I like “normal” names: like [name]Daniel[/name] and [name]Peter[/name] and [name]Timothy[/name] and [name]John[/name] and [name]James[/name], better than most of the offbeat names like [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Dashiell[/name], that come around every once in a while to refresh the situation.

[name]Jonathan[/name] is not offbeat, but it still has a good ring to it. If you love it, it’s a fine name, goes well with [name]Victoria[/name], another classic.

As such, I have no suggestions for you, but it’s not a bad idea to peruse the lists of others for other strong ideas that appeal to you.

[name]Jonathen[/name] is a great name will always be a classic strong name maybe stay away from jon and jonny as nn its to popular. just say the whole name its not hard to say

I like [name]Johnathan[/name], as it is classic and goes well with [name]Victoria[/name], but in my opinion the nn [name]John[/name] is a little boring - [name]Nat[/name], however, I like.
Also, what about [name]Nathaniel[/name] or [name]Theodore[/name]?

I love the name [name]Jonathan[/name], its actually my younger brothers name:)
The good thing about J names, as either a first or middle… is you can often pair it with something else to get an initail nickname…
for example, my other brother, [name]James[/name]’ middle name is [name]Christopher[/name], and our dad always calls him JC…
or, [name]Alexander[/name] [name]James[/name] (AJ) is a popular one… [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name]?
I saw someone mention [name]Theodore[/name], so that could be TJ or JT…

I think [name]Jonathan[/name] is a bit dated, but I love [name]Julian[/name]. It sounds very similar and has a great nn - [name]Jules[/name]!

I love [name]Jameson[/name] or just [name]James[/name], classic name like [name]Victoria[/name].
Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Oh wow, my first high school boyfriend was [name]Jonathan[/name] (mn [name]Mark[/name] btw). Were both born in the early 80s so I guess it’s a bit dated. Haha I hate to put this association with the name for anyone but it reminds me of the boy from Who’s the [name]Boss[/name]! My boyfriend only went by [name]Jon[/name] though. I don’t really care for that spelling, [name]John[/name] to me is I guess classier.

I love the suggestion [name]Jonathan[/name] with the nickname [name]Nat[/name]. I think you could even do [name]Nate[/name] as a nicname since [name]Nathan[/name] is the last part of the name?? I love [name]Nate[/name] with [name]Victoria[/name]. Does she have any nicknames?

[name]Jonathan[/name] is a great name - I don’t see how it can be dated. It’s a classic like [name]Michael[/name] or [name]Christopher[/name] (granted, you may hate those names!!). I actually have always loved [name]Christopher[/name]. Am I dated? Maybe - I’m mid 30s.

While I think [name]Nathaniel[/name] is a beautiful name, I know a ton of little boys running around named [name]Nathaniel[/name] (nicknamed [name]Nate[/name]).

I like [name]Theodore[/name] alot but only if he is nicknamed [name]Theo[/name] and not [name]Ted[/name]. [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Victoria[/name] go well together.

I really love [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] with big sister [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] !

I think if your are looking for alternatives maybe

[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
[name_u]Jonah[/name_u]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Nate[/name_m]
[name_u]Joe[/name_u]
[name_m]Joel[/name_m]

Other names that feel long, have history and feel like they match style wise with [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] and [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]

[name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
[name_m]Phillip[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_u]William[/name_u]
[name_u]Henry[/name_u] / [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]
Franklin/ Frankford/ [name_u]Francis[/name_u]
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_u]George[/name_u]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_m]Stephen[/name_m]
Edward/ [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u]