Jonquil?

I’ve recently started liking Jonquil for a boy, as kind of a GP name admittedly but it’s intriguing to me. I know it’s usually discussed as a girl’s name on here, but to me it sounds more masculine (Jon + Quil = two boy names to me = one hybrid boy name). I’m aware it’s also a nature name and the fact that it’s a flower is likely why a lot of people see it as feminine, but Aster/Astor is also a flower and I prefer that for a boy as well— so that doesn’t bother me!

Weirdly, and if it matters, I’m personally not a big fan of Jonquil on a girl, though I see the name as fairly unisex overall.

Thoughts on Jonquil nn Quill or Jon/Jonny for a boy, or even as an honor name for a John? And what names would you pair it with as a first or middle?

Jonquil could make a very handsome and unexpected name :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s a cool name! [name_f]Flower[/name_f] names on boys are a very neglected category.
I’m not very fond of [name_m]Jonny[/name_m], and I feel like he’d get called that a lot. [name_m]Jon[/name_m] is not bad though, and I love Quil!

2 Likes

Jonquil sounds completely gender neutral to me. (On a boy, it also somehow reminds me of Joxter from the Moomins - it’s a pretty random association honestly. Maybe because they’re both unusual, playful [name_u]Jo[/name_u]- names?)

I like both nickname options but [name_m]Jon[/name_m]/Jonny makes [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] feel more down to earth whereas [name_u]Quill[/name_u] is more whimsical.

Maybe…
[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m]

Finnian [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]
[name_u]Ash[/name_u] [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]

1 Like

I love [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]! Your comment also made me think about [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] ([name_m]Thomas[/name_m] is a possible honor name for a close relative, otherwise I’d have Thomas on my list for possible firsts). Also loving [name_u]Ash[/name_u] and [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] together but not quite sure whether I prefer [name_u]Ash[/name_u] [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] or [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_u]Ash[/name_u]. Thanks!!

1 Like

Depends where you live. Many Americans have not heard of jonquils, but I bet people in say, [name_f]England[/name_f], have.

Anyway, love the flowers, not as keen on the word as a name for any gender, but there’s nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of that name before, but to be honest it reminds me of the medicine NyQuil since it’s similar sounding.

I’ve always thought it felt masculine as well. (However When I was little I had a flower fairy coloring book that I LOVED, and I’m pretty sure the [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] fairy was a boy, so that could be why :woman_shrugging:)
I don’t know if I’d ever be brave enough to use it as a first, but I love strong and unexpected nature/floral on boys.

1 Like

I’ve thought about it more. I think it’s pretty cool for a male. I associate [name_m]Jon[/name_m] and [name_u]Quill[/name_u] as males. Sorry for my too hasty thoughts.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty cute! I would have pictured it on a girl, but you’ve made a great case for it as a boy’s name as well. Plus it’s rare enough for either that meeting a little boy named [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] would probably solidify as a boy’s name/ unisex name for me really quickly. It’s grown on me a bit in the time it took to type this out haha.

1 Like

Very cool! Makes me think of [name_m]Joaquin[/name_m] …

1 Like

Jonquil is amazing. The [name_m]Jon[/name_m] start is so masculine sounding that it is perfect for a boy.
(another floral boys name I love is [name_m]Calix[/name_m])

Ideas:

Jonquil [name_m]Marc[/name_m]
[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_m]Heath[/name_m]
[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_u]Dorian[/name_u]

Aston [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]

1 Like

I would say that [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] reads more masculine for me, I actually like it and I really like the nn option of Quil (but I am a marvel fan and it reminds me of [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Quill[/name_u]).

1 Like

I also see [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] as more masculine, it literally starts with [name_m]Jon[/name_m]. [name_f]Flower[/name_f] names are so cool, you can’t go wrong with any of them. [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] would make a handsome, intriguing choice.

1 Like

I can see [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] as a boy’s name! I think it’s very handsome. I also like it as a girl’s name.

1 Like

I think it works, especially with the masculine nicknames!

[name_u]Orion[/name_u] [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m] [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]

[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u]
[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_m]Stefan[/name_m]

1 Like

Jonquil is one of my all-time favorite boys names! I think I still have [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u] in my UC

1 Like

@HonoriaGlossop love [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_m]Heath[/name_m]!

@may.rose [name_u]Orion[/name_u] [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] and [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] are great!

@drfox Ooh, [name_f]Jonquil[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u] is awesome! I have [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Rain[/name_u] as a favorite combo right now actually.

1 Like

I quite like it!

1 Like