Jonquils’ Top Ten (Girls)

Thoughts on my top ten names for a baby girl?

1. Glow [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] or Glow [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]: Glow is for the glowing light that would be my daughter, a light that I hope will always shine. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is a name with personal family significance, [name_f]Coraline[/name_f] is for the Gaiman character.

2. [name_f]Willow[/name_f] Faerydae: [name_f]Willow[/name_f] is for the symbolism of the willow tree, and for the trees that I used to search for fairies in. Faerydae means “gift of the fairies,” which Willow most certainly would be.

3. [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f]: I found the name [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] as a child reading the [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables books, and thought it was the most beautiful name there ever was. [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] is for the Biblical women who have too often been forgotten in history.

4. Eowyn Hazel: Eowyn is actually a name that was given to girls long before the character we all know and love, and I adore the meaning. Hazel is for one of my favorite books: Watership Down.

5. [name_m]Fox[/name_m] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]: Foxes are one of my favorite animals. It’s said that when a fox crosses your path, it brings you luck. I would be the luckiest person in the world if I ever have a daughter of my own, so it seems apt that [name_m]Fox[/name_m] could be her name. [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is for the lovely Miss [name_m]Granger[/name_m], as well as the Shakespearean character.

6. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]: If you’ve ever interacted with me on Nameberry, you know that [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is my absolute favorite “ordinary” name. It’s one that I’ve adored ever since The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]. Marigolds are said to be flowers of the sun, full of light and joy. [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] is both for the happy word and for [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f].

7. [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Everluna: The Picture of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] is one of my rainy day favorites, and it always makes me fall in love with the name [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] all over again. Everluna would be for the hope that little Sybil would always look to the light of the moon when she can’t find the sun.

8. [name_f]Elma[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]: [name_f]Elma[/name_f] is new to my list, but utterly perfect. It seems to me like the name of a fairy or an elf, just perfectly magical. [name_f]Clover[/name_f] is an old friend of my name list, full of faith, hope, love, and luck (which is what each of the leaves on a four-leaf clover symbolize).

9. [name_f]Fae[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]: [name_f]Fae[/name_f] is for the magic of childhood, and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], meaning “pretty flower,” is the name of a [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] character and of a brilliant scientist. Together, this name brings to mind the imagery of a little fairy, sitting on the brim of a blooming rose.

10. Queniva [name_u]Sage[/name_u]: Queniva is an old English name that means “queen,” and a sage is someone who is wise. This name is perfect for the wise love of my heart.

These names aren’t in any particular order, because I love them all for different reasons. What do you think of them? I know that my name taste isn’t the taste of many others, and I know that some might not find them entirely usable, but I love these names and have put a lot of thought in them, so I think they could work on a real little girl.

Glow [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] or Glow [name_f]Coraline[/name_f] -i’ve been really liking Glow since you introduced me to it! What a sweet bright name that feels namey yet wordy! The middle names are both lovely-[name_f]Coraline[/name_f] gives Glow a mysterious, fairy take feel. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is grounding yet elegant

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] Faerydae -[name_f]Willow[/name_f] is sleek, whispy, gentle but deep and interesting. Faerydae isn’t my style but I love the imagery and meaning it has to you

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] - [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is one of my favourites. Strong, elegant and powerful. I like your thinking behind [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] too. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you personally pronounce [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] btw?

[name_m]Fox[/name_m] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] - [name_m]Fox[/name_m] is fun and sweet and I like the meaning. [name_m]Fox[/name_m] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] flows well and has a natury, earthy feel

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] -i love the literary feel of the name! [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is a favourite of mine too (sadly unusable for me as it’s taken) and I love the vintage feel of the name too -theres something lively and fresh about this combo!

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Everluna -again, I love the literary connections and the bouncy yet homely sounds of [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. Everluna adds flair and it’s lovely

[name_f]Elma[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f] - very woody, earthy and warm. I really like it and it has a nice meaning!

Far [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - so magical, gentle and whimsical but also grounded. It’s adorable

Queniva [name_u]Sage[/name_u] -i admit Queniva isn’t really for me, but perhaps it could grow on me since it has sounds that are similar to other names I like? I might have to reflect on it.

Btw, I think number 4 is missing?

Edit:

Eowyn Hazel - I’ve been loving Eowyn this week - I love the sounds! It sounds so adventurous, a name full of mystery. I love it with charming and soft Hazel

Glow [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - I have always admired this one from your signature… it is just so original. I’d never thought of glow as a name before but you’ve totally turned me onto it for its imagery. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is gorgeous and really helps “normalize” it, I think.

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] Faerydae - [name_f]Willow[/name_f] is a really sweet name. I first heard of Faerydae from you and as soon as I read it for the very first time I was in love! I love its meaning and I’d love to add it to my own list. I love this pairing, it is so magical and fantasy-esque which I absolutely adore!

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] - This one is not my favourite of yours if I’m honest. I just don’t liek the look/sound of Corn in [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] (I prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], myself) but [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] is really sweet and had great meaning to you.

[name_m]Fox[/name_m] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] - I’d never though about [name_m]Fox[/name_m] on a girl before I saw you do it and I do like it. [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is a gorgeous choice to pair it with. I love the literary connections she has.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] - Obviously, I’m a huge fan of two middle names. I think the flow between these three are perfect and beautiful… I love this combination of names.

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Everluna - I like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] a lot.This is my first encounter with Everluna and surprise, surprise, I am in love with it! Everluna along with Faerydae are officially two new favourites of mine.

[name_f]Elma[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f] - [name_f]Elma[/name_f] is not my own taste but she is perfect for you. [name_f]Clover[/name_f] I can only relate to the Totally Spies character (not a bad thing) but it’s just not for me. This combo fits in perfectly on your list! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the clear green imagery between the two.

[name_f]Fae[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - This is definitely one of my favourites form your list! I really love all the elf/fairy and nature references you have here. That is something I love to include in my own combos as well. I love [name_f]Fae[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is one of my favourite [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] characters (as well as one of my own best roles for sure!) and she’s on my list too. This is a perfect pairing in my eyes.

Queniva [name_u]Sage[/name_u] - Queniva is new to me. I’m a little lost on the pronunciation… but I do really like the meanings of these names together.

Despite what other people might say about it, I really appreciate your naming style and am always excited to see what you come up with next. I love your purposes for naming and the meanings you pair together are so perfect every time.

Already responded to your boy list so figured I’d stalk you and see if you had a girl top 10 put together. Haha.
Glow [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] or [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]: not my favorite. I think Glow could really work for some people but I don’t find it super versatile. That said, usually names grow with people and a name that seems like it only fits a certain personality ends up fitting the opposite personality just fine in an unexpected way… I prefer it with [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]. I like the repetitive o sounds.
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] Faeryday: so magical sounding. And the meaning behind it fills me with the feeling that this is the daughter you always dreamed of.
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f]: sounds so strong. A girl names [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] is going to stand up for what is right and get things done!
[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is full of whimsy. Gentle but still strong.
[name_m]Fox[/name_m] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]: probably my least favorite. I like the meaning behind fox and tucked away in the middle I can always support it. But as a first… I don’t like that [name_f]Foxy[/name_f] is another word for sexy. I think that could be hard for a girl during adolescence.
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]: 3 names I adore. Probably the happiest combination I’ve ever seen.
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Everluna. I adore [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]… Never encountered Everluna before. I like the meaning behind it, not sure yet if I like the sound. I think it will grow on me. I read a book once with a character Everhilda and fell hard for that name… [name_m]Will[/name_m] have to use it on a pet someday as we’re done having kids (and my husband wouldn’t let me put it in our girls list anyway… Hopefully he doesn’t mind it in a bunny. Haha. Sorry for my random asides. Trapped under a sleeping baby.)
[name_f]Elma[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]. I love both names. Together they make the perfect image of a spunky girl in pigtails playing outside all day, too busy having fun to even stop for a snack.
[name_f]Fae[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is has both a magical nature vibe and a perfectly sophisticated vibe at once. It’s gorgeous!
Queniva [name_u]Sage[/name_u]: I can’t place why but I just don’t feel this one… It seems like in paper it’s perfectly meaningful but somehow my heart isn’t buying it. Haha. Maybe my brain has just had enough as it’s had to contemplate about 40 inspired names of yours now. Haha.
I think my favorite is [name_f]Fae[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]. Or [name_f]Elma[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]. Or maybe [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Everluna… Yes Everluna is growing on me already … Everytime I say one I think yes, that’s it, it’s my favorite. Sorry, can’t narrow it down from my top 3 any further.

@greyblue, I pronounce [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] like “[name_m]Cor[/name_m]-neel-ee-uh,” if that makes sense. Thank you for the kind words and feedback. I’m particularly glad you like Everluna and Faerydae. I love them both, but was certain they’d receive less than stellar feedback. Queniva is one that I loved immediately, but I did have to give some thinking as to usability.

@celes, I definitely agree about [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] grounding Glow. [name_f]Elma[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f] absolutely feels forest-inspired to me, too! [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]’s [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is what inspired me to love the name, as well. I pronounce Queniva like “[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]-eh-vuh.” Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about my list.

@llbaby22, I would have done the name thing! Ha! I do have the worry that Glow might not work for everyone !but I’m very reserved and quiet and would love to have an out-there name, so maybe it could work? I go back and forth. [name_f]Willow[/name_f] Faerydae is absolutely my perfect name. [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] is the combo I would give my daughter for the childhood Jonquils, and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] is for the part of me that loves a good vintage name, but [name_f]Willow[/name_f] Faerydae just feels right. The “foxy” thing does bother me a fair bit . . . Not sure if [name_m]Fox[/name_m] is going to stay. Thank you for sitting through forty of my crazy names! I so appreciate it.

I’ve also been vaguely obsessed with the idea of [name_f]Cora[/name_f] Lovelyn, but I’m not sure if it’s too “dainty” to be in my top ten? [name_f]Cora[/name_f] Lovelyn [name_u]Joan[/name_u], maybe?

Glow [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] – While I must admit that I am not overly keen on Glow, particularly as a first name, I respect that you adore it, and appreciate your reasons for enjoying it. Glow [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] has a great sound and flow, and while I do like [name_f]Coraline[/name_f], I definitely prefer the grounding, traditional [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] here.
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] Faerydae – The combo just sounds so beautifully whimsical. It’s lovely.
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] – I’ve never been able to get on board with [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] I’m afraid as I just don’t like the prominent ‘corn’ sound, and also, I do find it very dated. I would definitely prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], but again, I appreciate your history of love for the name. [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] is fantastic, such great sounds. The combo does have a good flow, too.
[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] – this, like #2 here, has a brilliant whimsical vibe. Quite earthy and grounded. I like it.
[name_m]Fox[/name_m] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] – This one I love. I love seeing [name_m]Fox[/name_m] considered for a girl, not just boys, and [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is beautiful in every way.
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] – A lovely, classy name. The perfect little combo for [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Everluna – Not too long ago, I was not a fan of [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] at all, finding it incredibly dated, but I must say, I’m slowly coming around to it, particularly in regard to the “prophetess” meaning and the Greek/[name_m]Roman[/name_m] legend of the sibyls (I do prefer the [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] spelling). I don’t mind Everluna, but do prefer just [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. I like your reasoning for the use of Everluna though.
[name_f]Elma[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f] – I’m afraid [name_f]Elma[/name_f] is just not a name I think I’ll ever get on board with…I find it very dated, think of a cranky old person and seem to associate it with [name_m]Elmer[/name_m] (Fudd). I see how you get a magical feeling from the sounds, however, I’m just not a fan. [name_f]Clover[/name_f] makes for a nice middle.
[name_f]Fae[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] – [name_m]Just[/name_m] lovely. I like this spelling of [name_f]Fae[/name_f] best, and I enjoy seeing it up front, rather than in the middle. The combo feels very whimsical, romantic and classy.
Queniva [name_u]Sage[/name_u] – I’ve not come across Queniva before, but I can’t say I’m liking it. Maybe it’s because I’m so used to seeing [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f], that Queniva just feels off for me, but I think it just seems kind of awkward in general. I like the sounds well enough, but I just don’t enjoy the look of it at all. [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is lovely.

Glow [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]- I really love the idea of Glow! I think I’d have to meet one before I’d be totally sold that it works but I’m sure that if I did, I would really like it. I love the imagery; it makes me think of a little girl with golden hair chasing fireflies! I think it is one of those names that would take the right person to pull off though

Glow [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]- I prefer Glow [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] because I think [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] brings the whimsy of Glow back to earth.

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] Faerydae- how do you say Faerydae? The way I want to say it (fairy day) is much too whimsical to me. I adore [name_f]Willow[/name_f] though, she’s actually become a new addition to my own list. She’s earthy and airy at the same time, and just has this soft strength that I love!

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f]- [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] always makes me think of corn, which isn’t a bad association, just one I can’t shake. I love the nickname [name_f]Nell[/name_f] though. The combo as a whole is just the right mixture of class and spunk. I love the surprise that [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] brings to the combo!

[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]- I love this so much! I adore both names. [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] feels like a breath of fresh air but then you get hit with the sass and spunk at the end. In the best way possible! She feels like a girl who seems soft and timid but uses that assumption to kick ass. I’m not sure if my imagery is as clear to others on this one! TL;DR, I love it!

[name_m]Fox[/name_m] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]- I actually really like [name_m]Fox[/name_m] on a girl, more than a boy. It’s short and snappy, which I love from a girl’s name. I do worry about the sexual connotations though. Similar names might be [name_f]Lux[/name_f], [name_u]Pax[/name_u], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_u]Scout[/name_u], [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], or [name_f]Fawn[/name_f]? I love [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]! I have [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] “[name_u]Hero[/name_u]” on my long list but I doubt I’d be brave enough to use her!

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]- I really like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], it’s happy and bright but also curious and adventurous. Basically, I think [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] Pevensie is the perfect personification of her name. I agree with @llbaby22 that this combo just seems so happy and playful!

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Everluna- I really like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]. It seems like a grown-up and mature name but also has a sweetness to it. I’ve never heard of Everluna before. It’s not really my style but I like [name_u]Ever[/name_u] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f], and I think it adds elegance to an otherwise short and spunky [name_f]Sybil[/name_f].

[name_f]Elma[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]- I’ve tried—I really have—to put this out of my mind but… I think [name_m]Elmo[/name_m]. I’m sorry! It just strikes me as the little red monster from [name_f]Sesame[/name_f] [name_m]Street[/name_m], who isn’t a bad association, but not one I’d like to carry through life. I would prefer [name_f]Alma[/name_f]. I really like [name_f]Clover[/name_f] for you though!

[name_f]Fae[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]- I really like [name_f]Fae[/name_f] (well, [name_f]Faye[/name_f], but same difference) in theory but it seems like it’s lacking something as a full name. I do like the fairy connection though, it fits in with your whimsical style. I also think [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] adds a lot of substance to the name.

Queniva [name_u]Sage[/name_u]- I’m not sure if I’m putting the right emphasis on this name but it almost sounds like [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] but with a mouthful of food? It’s not my style but I would love the nickname [name_f]Queenie[/name_f] for it! I think [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is wonderful.

@sunniva, I completely get your point about [name_f]Elma[/name_f] and Queniva. I still adore them, but they might not be what I ultimately go with when the time comes. Thank you so much for your thoughts. I’m so glad you like [name_m]Fox[/name_m]! I love it so much.

@sparkleninja18, Glow is definitely one of those names that sounds strange until you hear it in real life. That is how you pronounce Faerydae. Queniva is sort of like “[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]-iv-uh.” The [name_m]Elmo[/name_m] thing is definitely something I’ve considered. I love [name_u]Pax[/name_u], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_f]Lux[/name_f], and and [name_f]Fawn[/name_f].

Glow [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]- I’ve seen this name from you before, and I have to admit that I didn’t really like it at first, but it has definitely grown on me. My only thought is that maybe you should change it to [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] Glow, so there is a less chance of teasing in the future.

Glow Coraline- I don’t love this nearly as much as Glow Charlotte, but that’s mainly due to the movie. I can’t get that connection out of my head, especially since that movie kind of freaked me out. I mean, button eyes?! That’s pretty freaky. Lol

[name_f]Willow[/name_f] Faerydae- This name is so adorable to me and is one of my favorite combinations you have. It sounds so whimsical and nature-y. Is that a word? Anyway, no complaints from here.

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Galilee[/name_f]- I don’t know why, but I don’t love any name that starts with [name_m]Cor[/name_m]-. The only exception is [name_f]Coral[/name_f]. However, the combination works really well, and I can definitely see a little girl with this name.

[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]- I actually had to look up how to pronounce this name, so that might be a little off putting to you, but I actually really love the name. Combining it with the short but sweet [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] makes it so much better.

[name_m]Fox[/name_m] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]- I love the reason for the name [name_m]Fox[/name_m], and, before you, never thought it would work on a girl before. It definitely does though. Adding [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] to it makes [name_m]Fox[/name_m] seem not as crazy and a little more formal. At least to me.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]- Perfect. This-THIS is such an amazing name. I don’t even know what to say. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is getting to be more popular, but combing it with [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] and [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] makes it seem so much more unique.

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Everluna- Stop thinking of such amazing names. It makes me feel bad. Lol. I would have never thought of this, but man am I glad that you did. [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] sounds like such a bright and mysterious name. Everluna reminds me of a full moon over a forest. Perfect.

[name_f]Elma[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]- I don’t know if you noticed, but [name_f]Elma[/name_f] can have the nickname [name_u]Elm[/name_u]. That means you have two nature names here, but who am I to say anything? As far as I’m concerned those are two great names. I know that [name_f]Clover[/name_f] is not that very common, but it really should be. If not for a first, definitely as a middle.

[name_f]Fae[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]- Personally, I like [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Fae[/name_f] more, but [name_f]Fae[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is also gorgeous.

Queniva [name_u]Sage[/name_u]- I had to look up the definition for this name too, but it’s so cool. It kind of sounds like queen to me which is not something bad at all. [name_u]Sage[/name_u] definitely balanced this name out. The perfect combination of well-known and almost never heard of.

@valeria8888, thank you so much for the kind words. I appreciate it more than you could know. I do think I like Glow [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] more.

Sorry i don’t have time for an extensive reply but I couldn’t go pass this thread without saying I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Elma[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f] and [name_f]Fae[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]!

[name_f]Fay[/name_f] and [name_f]Alma[/name_f] are both in my top five, I love [name_f]Elma[/name_f] spelling as it avoids the “all-ma” pronunciation… I’m thinking about stealing it.
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is perfect with [name_f]Fae[/name_f] it balances the softness of [name_f]Fae[/name_f] with something strong yet thrilly :slight_smile: