Josephine or Ruby?

My first choice ([name]Sabine[/name]) got vetoed by my DH. So we are down to [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Kaye[/name] or
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Anne[/name]. [name]Colette[/name] is a a third choice. I love [name]Josephine[/name] but feel like she will always be called by a nickname. However, [name]Ruby[/name] is getting very popular in the US and is top 5 in the UK. I tend to like more underused names and try to avoid the top 10 lists.
What do you think?

My fave is [name]Josephine[/name] nn [name]Josie[/name].
[name]Ruby[/name] is really cute!
[name]Love[/name] [name]Colette[/name] nn [name]Coco[/name]. You could call her both names.

[name]Hi[/name]!

I really love both names, but if you don’t want [name]Josephine[/name]'s name shortened to [name]Josie[/name] (or something else), I think I’d go with [name]Ruby[/name]. I really love [name]Josephine[/name], though!

[name]Ah[/name]! I forgot about [name]Colette[/name]! I love that name ([name]Cosette[/name], too), and if you’re looking for underused names, I think it’s a great option! (I love each of your options…) :slight_smile:

Have you thought about:

[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Colette[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]

[name]Colette[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Colette[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] (I think some of the others flow better…)
[name]Colette[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Colette[/name] [name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Colette[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]

Some more names you may like:

[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]/[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]/[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Cosette[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Poppy[/name])
[name]Pearl[/name] (like [name]Opal[/name], it’s less popular than [name]Ruby[/name])
[name]Phoebe[/name] (similar in sound to [name]Ruby[/name])
[name]Rose[/name] (as a first name)
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

I think I’ll pick the best of both worlds, and go with either [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]. :slight_smile:

I really love your list, and honestly don’t think you can go wrong! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Torture!!! I [name]LOVE[/name] both. [name]Ruby[/name] is at the top of my list and if my last name wasn’t so long and my other daughters names so short [name]Josephine[/name] would be up there too.

I prefer [name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name] over [name]Colette[/name] but I still think it’s a great name.

This might be a long gone idea but instead of [name]Sabine[/name] what about [name]Sabrina[/name]? I love it but have mixed emotions.

I don’t think I can give better suggestions then what’s already been presented. [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Lane[/name] is our first choice for a combo with [name]Ruby[/name].

I’ll have to echo [name]Jill[/name]'s suggestion of [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ruby[/name].

Well I’m biased as my 7-week old daughter is called [name]Josephine[/name] ‘[name]Posy[/name]’.

With regard to the nickname thing, I think if you insist on the full name being used, then people should respect that.

However, don’t think [name]Ruby[/name] won’t be nicknamed, I know someone called [name]Ruby[/name] who gets called ‘Roo’!

These are some two different names, huh. In theory, I would prefer [name]Josephine[/name], as I have liked this name before it was acknowledged massively as adorable. I had to throw it in the garbage myself because of a horrible woman named [name]Josefina[/name]. Sad. [name]Ruby[/name] to me was more of a spunky firecracker name, it is red and the birthstone for [name]July[/name] and definitely has a fun imagery for me - not exactly my personal style. Other names like it, [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Mabel[/name], to me seem softer and more studious, not so loud and attention-grabbing.

However, the merits of [name]Ruby[/name] are growing on me quickly. It has life and depth and softness of its own. I like my solitude, what can I say? I tend to prefer names that feel like they can stand to be alone without becoming lonely, but also friendly. [name]Josie[/name] for a nickname is so cute. I also have like [name]Joey[/name] or [name]Joie[/name] or [name]Joy[/name]. [name]Jo[/name] has that social, friendly, happy, lively part and -sephine has that sound like [name]Sophia[/name], “wisdom,” that sounds very contemplative.

[name]Ruby[/name] is all social, happy, lively for me on the surface, but on a profound level, it is a precious jewel, a very special and rare thing, who would by all rights feel all right at times alone, and be very strong (9.0 on the Mohs scale), a corundum set apart from the rest (sapphire or emery) by its red color. I feel that this name has gained an edge for me. It is strong and an individual, a natural part of the earth, as well as sounding like the spark and sparkle, who attracts attention and is fun to know.

Oh [name]Karen[/name]. I love [name]Ruby[/name] and you just sold me on [name]Ruby[/name] even more by saying it is the birthstone for [name]July[/name]. I’m not pregnant yet but we’re trying. If we get pregnant in [name]October[/name] the due date would be in [name]July[/name]. Yay! Okay thanks that all. I haven’t looked at the birthstones for inspiration yet but it’s a very good idea.

Oooohhh…never thought of the nickname [name]Joy[/name] for [name]Josephine[/name], so lovely. I agree [name]Ruby[/name] is spunky, bright and seems much more outgoing than the very different [name]Josephine[/name]. It is tough, we love both names.

I liked the suggestion of [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]. Best of both worlds but then I have guilt over not using a family name as the middle name. Hmmmm…would my mother be sad? Probably.
Thanks for the wonderful thoughts and suggestions.

Oooohhh…never thought of the nickname [name]Joy[/name] for [name]Josephine[/name], so lovely. I agree [name]Ruby[/name] is spunky, bright and seems much more outgoing than the very different [name]Josephine[/name]. It is tough, we love both names.

I liked the suggestion of [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]. Best of both worlds but then I have guilt over not using a family name as the middle name. Hmmmm…would my mother be sad? Probably.
Thanks for the wonderful thoughts and suggestions.[/quote]

[name]Delphine[/name] is on my list. Couldn’t get the husband to go for it, but it is lovely.

I love [name]Sabine[/name] too! On my list… [name]Sabine[/name], [name]Willow[/name] and [name]Amelie[/name] go together well.

My favourite of your two choices is [name]Ruby[/name]. It is getting popular, almost like the new ‘[name]Lily[/name]’ but I have two very good friends named [name]Ruby[/name] and they are social butterflies!

I love [name]Sabine[/name], so sorry it was vetoed.

[name]Ruby[/name]'s popularity has peaked and now fading out of the naming picture, [name]Josephine[/name] is a classic that is still popular, [name]Kaye[/name] old fashioned but sorry to say a tad boring, [name]Anne[/name] is lovely and definitely a keeper.

[name]Colette[/name] must be the French alternative to [name]Sabine[/name], but I don’t think it has the pizzazz of [name]Sabine[/name].

[name]Faye[/name] is a lovely alternative to [name]Kaye[/name]

Combo

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Faye[/name]

[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Anne[/name], nn [name]Greta[/name], [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Margot[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name]

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Frances[/name] there will be a big band of followers for this combo. I like the nn of [name]Coco[/name]. However, I would never use either name.

If you liked [name]Sabine[/name] do you like

[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name]
[name]Liesel[/name]
[name]Brigitte[/name], [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Brigid[/name]?
Geneveive
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]

If you want to keep [name]Kaye[/name] then [name]Stella[/name] [name]Kaye[/name] would make a good fit.

Classic name alternatives to [name]Josephine[/name]

[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Cecelia[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Rebekah[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Ellen[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]