Josephine vs Julia vs Julianne

My baby is due in 1 1/2 weeks and we can’t decide on a name. We have had [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Julianne[/name] picked out the whole time, but [name]Josephine[/name] just came into the picture a couple of days ago and I’m really starting to like it a lot. We had always wanted a [name]Josie[/name] until my husband’s cousin named their girl [name]Josie[/name] 2 years ago so we thought two [name]Josie[/name]'s in the family would be too much. If we went with [name]Josephine[/name], she would more than likely be nn [name]Josie[/name], even though I would like to stick to [name]Josephine[/name]. What are your thoughts?

[name]Julia[/name]! I think it’s timeless, classic, lovely and sophisticated. [name]Josephine[/name] is really great too, but two Josies in a family could be confusing, depending on how often you see them. I would talk to them and see how they feel about it. [name]Julianne[/name] is pretty, but doesn’t feel nearly as classic and distinctive as [name]Julia[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name]. Which go better with your last name?

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Marie[/name] Rother
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ann[/name] Rother
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Marie[/name] Rother
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Ann[/name] Rother
Other suggestions?

[name]Julia[/name] Rother is my fave.

[name]Do[/name] the middles have to be [name]Marie[/name] or [name]Anne[/name]? If so, I like [name]Julia[/name] [name]Marie[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ann[/name]. I think both sound fine with your last name. Here are some more middles:

[name]Julia[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Lila[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Stella[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Clara[/name]

Thanks for all your help! I might have to stick with [name]Julia[/name] [name]Marie[/name] to be on the safe side. My 3 boys want us to name her [name]Marie[/name], so I would like to use it for the middle name. It is my middle name also.

I love [name]Josephine[/name], however when I read that there is already a “josie” in your family, I thought you should probably skip it. Why have another [name]Josie[/name]? Her name wouldn’t be unique and part of why I like certain names is so the child feels special and unique…

I would go with [name]Julia[/name]… or change the name altogether.

I like both [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name], which go well with [name]Marie[/name]. Also, if you did want to go with [name]Josephine[/name], she wouldn’t have to be [name]Josie[/name], [name]Josephine[/name] has several nns, including [name]Posy[/name], [name]Fifi[/name].
But I think I agree with pp that you should go with [name]Julia[/name]–and [name]Jules[/name]/Jools is such a lovely nn!

Thanks for your thoughts girls. I do like the kids to have unique names and I really do not know any [name]Julia[/name]'s. My boys are Whalen, [name]Jarrett[/name] & [name]Wade[/name] and we don’t know anybody with those names around here either.

I have a soft spot for [name]Josephine[/name] (blame [name]Louisa[/name] [name]May[/name] [name]Alcott[/name]!), but I agree with everyone that two Josies in a family might be a little confusing. I would also talk to the parents if I were you and I were to consider it seriously. It is not completely unmanageable. You wouldn’t be the first parent to clarify, “I mean your cousin [name]Josie[/name],” but [name]Julia[/name] is classic and sweet and pulls ahead of [name]Julianne[/name] (in my opinion) by several lengths.

All right. This is a difficult one, definitely!

I’d say either [name]Julia[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name]. I’m not a fan of [name]Julianne[/name] - it just strikes me as 90s’, and I just don’t really like it for no particular reason.

[name]Julia[/name] is, I agree, timeless, beautiful and a classic. I especially liked it after I read a 20s’ novel - “Brideshead Revisited” - and I just find it to be oh-so-lovely. It has a really flapper girl style, but it’s still refined in its own way.

[name]Josephine[/name] is cute, bright and spunky, but with a Biblicial and honest twist. It screams girlishness but not in a bad way - it’s got a sort of lightness to it that just makes it breezy and wonderful. It’s really hard to explain, actually - but it is gorgeous.

If the choice turns out to be [name]Josephine[/name] indeed, I wouldn’t limit my options to just [name]Josie[/name]! I really love [name]Josie[/name], though. But [name]Posy[/name], [name]Jo[/name], [name]Jojo[/name] and many others are just as spunky and awesome.

My two favorites are [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name]. But given that there is already a [name]Josie[/name] in the family I would go with [name]Julia[/name]. It is a timeless and stunning choice that I will never get sick of hearing. [name]Julianne[/name] seems a little dated to me.

We have a very large family and would hardly ever see the other [name]Josie[/name]. Would that change anyones minds on [name]Josephine[/name] vs [name]Julia[/name]? Is there another good name out there I should consider?

Was just about to ask how often you would see the other [name]Josie[/name]. If not often, I wouldn’t worry about it AT ALL.

[name]Josephine[/name] is GORGEOUS!!! Agree with others that [name]Julianne[/name] is dated. [name]Julia[/name] is just, eh, so-so to me. Nothing spectacular, although pretty, but a little…plain?

Also, you don’t have to have a [name]Josie[/name] if you have a [name]Josephine[/name]. [name]Love[/name] the suggestion of [name]Posy[/name], but there is also [name]Sosie[/name] which I absolutely adore to bits. One of the cutest little girl names ever in my opinion!

In that case, go with [name]Josephine[/name]!

[name]Josephine[/name]! [name]Josephine[/name]! [name]Josephine[/name]! (Come on, everyone! Join in!) [name]JOSEPHINE[/name]!

I love [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name], but [name]Josie[/name] is such a cute nickname, so that gets my vote!

I love [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name]! ([name]Julia[/name] is on our name list too).

And I love the nicknames [name]Jules[/name] and [name]Josie[/name]!

You really can’t go wrong with these two.

I like [name]Josephine[/name] better than [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Julianne[/name]. Her nickname could be [name]Fifi[/name] instead of [name]Josie[/name] to avoid confusion with your other relative. Have you considered [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Juliana[/name]?

I love [name]Josephine[/name]. I’m not crazy about [name]Julia[/name] or [name]Julianne[/name] mostly because I like [name]Juliet[/name] so much more. I don’t think [name]Julia[/name] is a bad name, but I do find it a little boring. Normally I hate double names, so I would hate [name]Julianne[/name], but [name]Julianne[/name] makes me think of [name]Julianne[/name] [name]Moore[/name] who is such a lovely and talented woman it makes me have a positive connotation to the name.

So I think you should go with [name]Josephine[/name] since you said you don’t see the other [name]Josie[/name] that much. I think [name]Josie[/name] is an adorable nickname, but another nickname for [name]Josephine[/name] is [name]Joy[/name], and I really like that too. If your [name]Josephine[/name] had the nickname [name]Joy[/name] to use around the extended family then there wouldn’t be a problem.

Wow! Now I really am not sure which I like better. I haven’t ever thought about [name]Joy[/name] for a nn for [name]Josephine[/name], but I like it. Since so many of you like [name]Josephine[/name], do you think it will ever become a very popular name? I just love [name]Josephine[/name] because it is different and I do not know of any. My husband said he would never call her [name]Josephine[/name], because it is too long. He likes [name]Josie[/name] and thinks we should just name her that, but [name]Josie[/name] is a name that is more popular and there are a few in town. Also, I’m not sure if it is as fitting for an older lady. What’s your thoughts?