Josephine

I need your honest opinions/views on this name. Would you hate having it?

Second, I need some middle names for it other than the generic [name]Marie[/name], [name]Ann[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Hope[/name]…maybe keeping with the same “style” as [name]Josephine[/name].

Third, I need a nickname for it other than [name]Josie[/name]/[name]Jo[/name].

It’s my great-grandmother’s/ great aunt’s name. I’m always on the fence about it. Some days I’m obsessed with it, and some days I can’t get on board. I love vintage names and I really want to use it someday to honor my family and shock my mother who has hopelessly trendy taste in names. I’m stuck on it. Help me love it?

I would love to have the name [name]Josephine[/name]. [name]One[/name] nickname I’ve seen bounced around the boards before is [name]Posy[/name]. Personally, I love [name]Posy[/name] alone, but that just makes it even cuter as a nickname.

Some middle name suggestions:

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Viola[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]

I like [name]Josephine[/name] a lot. (As well as [name]Josefina[/name] and [name]Josepha[/name]).

I think [name]Josephine[/name] is very wearable, and classic.

[name]How[/name] many syllables do you need the middle to be? [name]Rose[/name]/[name]Grace[/name] etc. are so popular because a lot of people like one-syllable little middles that bridge simply. Here are some that I like of those:

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Gwen[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Wren[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Clare[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]/[name]Rue[/name]/[name]Rae[/name]

[name]Marie[/name] is emphasis on second syllable. Others:
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Raquel[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Simone[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Therese[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Sinead[/name]

If you have a tiny last name I would even consider a longer middle. [name]Josephine[/name] is strong enough to stand up to many long names.

I really like Josephine. Aside from Josie, I really like Joss for a nickname. I think Fi /Fee or Fina work too.
Josephine Adele
Josephine Olivia
Josephine Alice
Josephine Mariah
Josephine Pearl
Josephine Alexandra

I never liked it, but it’s grown on me a lot the last few weeks.

I like the combo of [name]Meghan[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]. Perhaps [name]Josephine[/name] Megara even?

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Josephine[/name], would definitely love having it as a name and plan on using it one day. I don’t care for the nn [name]Posy[/name], it’s too cutesy for me but lots of people like it so you might want to consider it.

I think [name]Josephine[/name] is really nice! Initially, re: the question about whether I’d like to have it or not, I thought that it wouldn’t suit me and that I’d feel weird with it, but after a second, I started thinking I could pull it off. So, while I’d feel weird to have the name now, I think if I’d been named [name]Josephine[/name] at birth, it’d be a great name to have.
Some combos I like are:
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Clara[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Violet[/name]

I know a [name]Josephine[/name] nicknamed [name]Joey[/name]. And, she goes pretty much exclusively by [name]Joey[/name]. The integral problem I have with [name]Josephine[/name] in general is the masculinity and the heaviness. The nickname [name]Joey[/name] highlights the lack of femininity that doesn’t gel with my personal naming style.

However, I love [name]Josie[/name] as a nickname. I also think [name]Posy[/name] is so darn cute, but also has enough spunk for a teenager to wear. I think [name]Effie[/name] could work as well because of that middle sound there. I proposed the nickname [name]Nina[/name] for [name]Seraphina[/name], so I suppose [name]Josephine[/name] could also attempt to take [name]Nina[/name] if you want to think really outside the box!

Good luck!

I like [name]Josephine[/name] a lot. [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Lark[/name], [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Flora[/name], or [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Eve[/name], perhaps?:slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Josephine[/name]!

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Cara[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Temperance[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
Josephine Melody
Josephine Adelaide
Josephine Meredith
Josephine Marigold
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Margot[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Arabelle[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Emily[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Coral[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Mariel[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Maribel[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Carys[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Millicent[/name]

I just adore [name]Josephine[/name], I think it’s gorgeous. Other than the obvious [name]Josie[/name]/[name]Jo[/name], I know a [name]Josephine[/name] that goes by [name]Posey[/name] and my nan goes by [name]Joey[/name]. I think [name]Posey[/name] is just so cute as a nickname and on its own. For middle names I really like [name]Fleur[/name] & [name]Flora[/name]. :slight_smile:

Go for it!! It’s a gorgeous, gorgeous name – and a classic with a ton of history. ([name]Empress[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]! [name]Jo[/name] [name]March[/name]!)

It’s on my super-short list if one of the babies we’re expecting turns out to be a girl.

Nicknames: I actually love [name]Jo[/name], so cute and spunky! But there’s also [name]Posey[/name], [name]Jojo[/name], [name]Fina[/name], [name]Effie[/name], [name]Joss[/name]…[name]Fifi[/name] also a possibility (but not one I happen to love).

I really like the name. My mother is from The Netherlands, and her name is [name]Josephina[/name], but she’s always gone by the Dutch nickname for that, which is Fietje (basically pronounced [name]Fee[/name]-cha).

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]. ([name]Josepha[/name] is a family name for me and on my short list…)

Staying with the style
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Faye[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]June[/name] (JJ!)
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Maude[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Iris[/name]

A little balance…
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Bree[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Aria[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Rain[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Bay[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Piper[/name]

Thank you for the feedback everyone! I really do love the name [name]Josephine[/name]. I got some great ideas and will now think them over carefully :slight_smile:

[name]Josephine[/name] is absolutely fabulous. It’s the perfect vintage but familiar, feminine but strong name. My fave nn’s are [name]Josie[/name] and [name]Posey[/name]. I actually met a little 3 year old [name]Posey[/name] ([name]Josephine[/name],) and the name was cute as a button on her.

I like it.

For nn options I still like [name]Jo[/name] & [name]Josie[/name], would add [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Soph[/name], [name]Fee[/name] (Phee) but think that [name]Posy[/name] is the winner.

Hmmmm I like the nn [name]Josie[/name]. I see that you didn’t want that nn but I don’t know why. I like it. LOL. I don’t love the name but I like the nn [name]Josie[/name]. Well good luck!

You could call [name]Josephine[/name] “[name]Jos[/name]” (with a long “o”), “Phina,” “Phiphi” ([name]Fifi[/name]), or Jophy.

Here are some combos I like:

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Leta[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Carina[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Mira[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Blakely[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]

:slight_smile:

[name]Josephine[/name] may be my perfect name. I would use for my daughter were it not for the fact that we already have a little [name]Josephine[/name] in our circle. I love [name]Josie[/name] best as a NN, but my second favorite is [name]Effie[/name].