Jude

We have a baby on the way soon (unsure of gender), and one of our boy name options is [name]Jude[/name] [name]Lucas[/name].
The only thing I worry about is him getting teased for this name at school- “[name]Jude[/name] the crude rude dude in the nude”…dont know how I came up with this one!!
And do you think he would get [name]Judy[/name] for short, because this is way to feminine a nick name for my liking.
Thanks for any help/thoughts/advice on this one!

Personally I like [name]Jude[/name]! If [name]Jude[/name] the Dude will bother you than I would say don’t go with it, but for the most part those rhymes are pretty harmless in my opinion.

I would never have though about [name]Judy[/name] as an issue, I will be interested in what others say.

oh goodness, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Jude[/name]! It’s floats all around my top five, one of my very favorites! I wouldn’t worry about the rhyming issues, it doesn’t rhyme with anything really terrible. As for [name]Judy[/name], I do think it would happen. My issue with [name]Jude[/name] is that when I say it, my mouth wants to continue after it’s done, like it’s just a little stunted. That might be me though, I grew up surrounded by people and pets with -y endings, so I tend to want to add that to everything. I even sometimes call my son [name]Dashiell[/name], Dashy. I don’t think [name]Judy[/name] would feel feminine when applied to a little [name]Jude[/name]. For example, my niece [name]Dawn[/name] is called Dawnie, which sounds exactly like [name]Donny[/name], but it doesn’t sound masculine on her. Anyway, I don’t think [name]Judy[/name] would be what he’d go by all the time, maybe just something close friends and family occasionally call him. That’s just my two cents!

I think [name]Jude[/name]'s great, too! :slight_smile:

Well, my other half’s a Beatles freak and to him [name]Jude[/name]'s a cool nickname for [name]Julian[/name] (I’ve convinced him [name]Jude[/name] can be a nickname for [name]Julius[/name]). If you listen to the Beatles “Hey [name]Jude[/name]” it’s got a part in it that’s something like [name]Jude[/name], [name]Jude[/name], [name]Jude[/name], [name]Jude[/name]! that sounds like [name]Judy[/name], [name]Judy[/name], [name]Judy[/name], [name]Judy[/name]!

It doesn’t bother me any, an occasional [name]Judy[/name] for [name]Jude[/name]. But I really prefer [name]Jude[/name] as a nickname for something more elegant. Not that it doesn’t work on it’s own, it just seems too simple to me, if that makes any sense!

If all those rhyming things would bother you, I second (or third?) the notion of going with something else. Maybe it would work for you as a nickname? [name]Jude[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] seems a bit stilted flow-wise anyway.

Some ideas for [name]Jude[/name] as a nickname:
[name]Judah[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]/[name]Jolyon[/name]
[name]Jupiter[/name]
[name]Julio[/name]
[name]Jubal[/name]

[name]Just[/name] thinking.

I forgot to comment on the [name]Lucas[/name] part of the name, and completely agree with [name]Lola[/name] about [name]Jude[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] not flowing well (I hear the matching Joo and Loo sounds). I think [name]Jude[/name] would sound great with a longer middle:

[name]Jude[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Jude[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Jude[/name] [name]Leopold[/name]
[name]Jude[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Jude[/name] [name]Xavier[/name]

If you’re not sold on [name]Jude[/name], what about using it as a middle name?

Other ideas:
[name]August[/name]
[name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Christian[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

Good luck!

i think jude is lovely.
the fact of the matter is, children may find some reason to tease jude, whether it’s because of his name or the ears he hasn’t yet grown into or the way he pronounces the word “bag” – it’s really out of your hands.
kids rhyming crude and rude with jude seems unlikely, unless he is in fact, crude and rude and developing those traits is pretty easily avoidable. :slight_smile:
i also think jude stands on its own. no julian or julius or other lengthening necessary in my book.

[name]Jude[/name] is a great name! I would use it as a nickname for [name]Julian[/name] or [name]Julius[/name] so there would be more options. I especially love [name]Julian[/name].

thanks for all your thoughts everyone!
Yeah, I wasn’t sure about [name]Lucas[/name] as a middle name, but its a family name and my hubby really wants it for the boys middle name. So we have to come up with a first name that goes with [name]Lucas[/name].
Our top boys names (that we agree on) are [name]Jude[/name], [name]Archer[/name](this one is my favorite!) and [name]Elijah[/name].
[name]How[/name] does [name]Archer[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] sound?? Any better than [name]Jude[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]?
I quiet like [name]Julian[/name] as a couple of you suggested, but hubby says no way…fair enough, I dont like some of his choices either!
This is such a great web site, I hope you don’t get sick of all my questions:)
Thanks!

I very much like [name]Archer[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]! And I think [name]Archie[/name] as a nickname is very cute. Yes it does flow much better than [name]Jude[/name] [name]Lucas[/name].

[name]Just[/name] for fun a few more to go with [name]Lucas[/name] as a middle:

Dashiel [name]Lucas[/name] (i is silent, nn [name]Dash[/name])
[name]Anderson[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Warner[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Barrett[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Weston[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] nn [name]West[/name]
[name]Coleton[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] nn [name]Cole[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Naomi[/name]. Fear not, because I can’t imagine anyone on Nameberry getting sick of suggesting names! :slight_smile:

For me, [name]Archer[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] is better than [name]Jude[/name] [name]Lucas[/name], but only slightly so. (Something just sounds “off” to me, but that’s just me!) [name]How[/name] many syllables does your last name have?

What about [name]Lucas[/name] as a first name? Something like [name]Lucas[/name] [name]Everett[/name], [name]Lucas[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name], or [name]Lucas[/name] [name]James[/name]?

[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]William[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]

Could [name]Lucas[/name] be shortened to [name]Luke[/name]? I was thinking that [name]Elijah[/name] [name]Luke[/name] is a fabulous name!