Judeo-Christian

As a Jewish member, I am very tired of seeing terms such as “Judeo-Christian” and “Biblical” used explicitly to reference Christianity and Christian-name references.

Firstly, “Judeo-Christian” is a made-up term; one that’s relatively recent. It was coined as a defense against Communism and it makes absolutely no sense at all. I recommend reading [name_m]Rabbi[/name_m] [name_u]Danya[/name_u] Ruttenberg on the subject. The belief systems between Judaism (even Reform and secular Judaism) are not at all similar to [name_u]Christian[/name_u] viewpoints, and no, “saint” is not a Biblical or a “Judeo-Christian” name.

Jewish naming trends are different from [name_u]Christian[/name_u] and secular [name_u]Christian[/name_u] naming trends. Having someone who does not understand the Jewish pov and simply writes from a secular [name_u]Christian[/name_u] or [name_u]Christian[/name_u] viewpoint about names should no longer be a thing.

Would be nice to see #ownvoices on Nameberry.

5 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up @miloowen. I’ve just searched our entire name database and I can’t find the term “Judeo-Christian” used anywhere, but please do link any name entries that I may have missed.

I also searched the entire site for the term via Google and have come up with three hits, including today’s blog. So I’m assuming that’s where you’ve seen this? I will certainly share your feedback with the author, who is in fact Jewish herself.

2 Likes

Yes, it did come up in today’s blog, and it’s currently in conversations on Twitter again over the whole “Christian” seder thing.

The author of today’s blog is Jewish? You could have knocked me over with a feather. Her blogs always read strongly [name_u]Christian[/name_u] to me.

I just would like, in the future, that bloggers remove that term from their vernacular. It’s insulting, and it doesn’t mean what they think it means.

1 Like